Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Protein Shakes

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fkncody

fkncody

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 1:45 am

I haven't been able to find an all natural protein shake to my liking because the ingredients either are bad for you, the mixability sucks, or it tastes really really bad. (I know some people are gonna say, suck it up! It's just flavor. But the protein I have now...it's literally impossible to drink, it tastes like cardboard.)

So I have a couple questions for you guys!

1. Do you supplement with protein powder?

2. Since I'm having such a hard time finding the right one, could I still make good strength gains by just eating 100% whole foods, no supplements at all?

Thanks!

(On a side note, that made me think, Jack Lalanne didn't use supplements did he? He was crazy strong...)(okay lol enough of me and my random thoughts)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LittleBeastM - SS3

LittleBeastM - SS3

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 5:23 am

you dont need supplements, i use 2 do protein shakes 6months ago.. get ur diet right and u will get alot bigger and stronger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 9:59 am

LittleBeastM - SS2 wrote:
you dont need supplements, i use 2 do protein shakes 6months ago.. get ur diet right and u will get alot bigger and stronger
+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

pulldoggpull

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 10:11 am

YES you can and will! f**k protein shakes!

go for milk! u can try some:

milk, banana (or other fruit for flavour) and almond butter or so. makes a creamie and very tasty combination. make protein shakes urself! so u can decide what they taste like, just make sure they rly have enough protein inside and are not "just" tropical juices (even though those dont hurt u too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 12:42 pm

LittleBeastM - SS2 wrote:

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Since i have stopped taking protein shakes i have gotten bigger. Im not going to bore people with the science behind it, but if u want a long explanation why protein shakes actually make you weaker and why some people appear to get bigger off of them, PM me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Most supplements are overrated. Protein supplements usually aren't necessary for most people. Clean up your diet first, then evaluate and see whether you actually need supplements.

Instead of going for a useless supplement like protein powder, why not look into more useful and effective supplements such as ZMA or creatine? They are proven to work and will both positively effect your workouts. Make sure you do your homework before you start taking a supplement though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 4:29 pm

I have used creatine in the past. It defintiely helped with some noticeable strength gains. Unfortunately it also seemed to have a negative effect on my joints. I experienced my first of two knee injuries requiring surgery while on creatine. I slapped around 30-40 pounds on my max bench press while I was on it. It also will make you put on a quick 5-10 pounds of water weight.

I do supplement with a protein shake a day. I have used Labrada Lean Body (Carb Watchers) for several years. It tastes good and is missing the garbage that is in many protein powders while giving you around 40 grams of protein.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
fkncody

fkncody

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 17, 2010 8:52 pm

duf wrote:
I have used creatine in the past. It defintiely helped with some noticeable strength gains. Unfortunately it also seemed to have a negative effect on my joints. I experienced my first of two knee injuries requiring surgery while on creatine. I slapped around 30-40 pounds on my max bench press while I was on it. It also will make you put on a quick 5-10 pounds of water weight.

I do supplement with a protein shake a day. I have used Labrada Lean Body (Carb Watchers) for several years. It tastes good and is missing the garbage that is in many protein powders while giving you around 40 grams of protein.

Sorry to tell you, but not only does your Labrada Lean Body Carb Watcher powder have a paragraph of ingredients (which is usually a sign that you shouldn't touch the stuff) but it contains Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, soy protein isolate, Artificial Flavors, and Soy Lecithin (most likely GMO), and probably other stuff that's not that good for you.

Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, and artificial flavors are all terrible for your health.

And since you're a man, you shouldn't be consuming soy protein isolate and/or soy lecithin (probably GMO). Some people will say consuming soy has no effect on estrogen levels in men, but why take that chance? Just don't consume it.

Since you've been consuming this powder for 'several years' that could definitely take a negative toll on your body.

I would stop taking that protein powder immediately.

All of those are terrible for you body. Google them if you don't believe me.

And if those ingredients aren't in your powder ( I checked and they were in that particular one) then i'm sorry i made you read my wall of text lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:11 am

fkncody wrote:
duf wrote:

Sorry to tell you, but not only does your Labrada Lean Body Carb Watcher powder have a paragraph of ingredients (which is usually a sign that you shouldn't touch the stuff) but it contains Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, soy protein isolate, Artificial Flavors, and Soy Lecithin (most likely GMO), and probably other stuff that's not that good for you.

Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, and artificial flavors are all terrible for your health.

And since you're a man, you shouldn't be consuming soy protein isolate and/or soy lecithin (probably GMO). Some people will say consuming soy has no effect on estrogen levels in men, but why take that chance? Just don't consume it.

Since you've been consuming this powder for 'several years' that could definitely take a negative toll on your body.

And if those ingredients aren't in your powder ( I checked and they were in that particular one) then i'm sorry i made you read my wall of text lol!

I'll take a look at one of my packets and report back. I am always open to new information. I have heard the same about soy but you need to consume it in pretty LARGE quantities.

I read in Men's Health about a guy that was lactose intolerant so he switched to soy milk. He drank it like it was going out of style. He grew breasts and didn't know why. When he finally stopped they went away, freaky.
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 11:04 am

I checked the ingredients list and those items are in there although the sucralose and acesulfame potassium are the last two ingredients meaning there are very small amounts present.

The protein is a mix of two types of whey protein and soy. I agree, ideally I would rather not deal with soy much but again I don't think it is enough to make an appreciable difference.

Just like almost anything, there is debate on both sides regarding what is best. I think if you can get all of your nutrition from natural, unprocessed sources that is the ideal situation.

However, in my office work environment, a protein shake after my lunchtime gym session fits the bill very well. I've supplemented with a shake for about a decade and haven't developed D cups yet, your mileage my vary.

Smile

Internet info is confusing to say the least. if you read this http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nutrition-Dieting-939/Acesulfame-Potassium-safe.htm

you would not have any concern. It's always hard to discern what the real deal is although when in doubt, go natural.

Last edited by duf on Tue May 18, 2010 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fkncody

fkncody

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 11:12 am

duf wrote:
I checked the ingredients list and those items are in there although the sucralose and acesulfame potassium are the last two ingredients meaning there are very small amounts present.

The protein is a mix of two types of whey protein and soy. I agree, ideally I would rather not deal with soy much but again I don't think it is enough to make an appreciable difference.

Just like almost anything, there is debate on both sides regarding what is best. I think if you can get all of your nutrition from natural, unprocessed sources that is the ideal situation.

However, in my office work environment, a protein shake after my lunchtime gym session fits the bill very well. I've supplemented with a shake for about a decade and haven't developed D cups yet, your mileage my vary.

Smile

lol! good one duf! well said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
B-Skill

B-Skill

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm

what can i put in milkshake with bananas and milk!?
what els??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

pulldoggpull

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:28 pm

almond/almond butter
peanut butter (not as good as almond, but ok)
tuna (but take out the banana then i guess, lol)
eggs
protein powder (if u wanan supplement)
but milk with anything that is sweet and gives taste is one of the shakes that has helped me the most + cheap + healthy + u cant do anything wrong with that. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:02 pm

The thing with creatine is that it allows you to lift more, but your bones/joints aren't necessarily strong enough for the load. I'd imagine it being possible to hurt yourself from taking a creatine supplement without ramping up to a weight.

If you're looking for a less processed protein shake, why not take a look at NutraBio's whey protein. I was recommended it by a serious bodybuilder one time. It isn't processed like most whey protein powders are. It even comes unflavored if you don't want it to be processed at all. I've never tried it so I can't say how it works.

Also, I've heard good things about New Zealand Whey Protein because the cows there are grass-fed. It would definitely cost more, but quality almost always does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
B-Skill

B-Skill

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyWed May 19, 2010 4:47 am

pulldoggpull wrote:
almond/almond butter
peanut butter (not as good as almond, but ok)
tuna (but take out the banana then i guess, lol)
eggs
protein powder (if u wanan supplement)
but milk with anything that is sweet and gives taste is one of the shakes that has helped me the most + cheap + healthy + u cant do anything wrong with that. lol
thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
circusfreak

circusfreak

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 24, 2010 6:02 am

i say supplements can be beneficial.
I have a metabolism that just chews up fat and spits it out, so i have been taking protein for this very reason. And just in the last week i got a pre & post workout supplement.
I'll give u the details and may be u could give me some feedback on what u think, because i don't really know what i'm doing, just going on trial and error.

Balance- ion exchange protein wpi

Balance-BCCA fuel and recovery tablets

MuscleTech- nano Vapor (pre-workout)

MuscleTech- anabolic Halo (post-workout)

But i have defiantly noticed a difference, and so have friends, since i started using supplements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 24, 2010 7:07 am

circusfreak wrote:
i say supplements can be beneficial.
I have a metabolism that just chews up fat and spits it out, so i have been taking protein for this very reason. And just in the last week i got a pre & post workout supplement.
I'll give u the details and may be u could give me some feedback on what u think, because i don't really know what i'm doing, just going on trial and error.

Balance- ion exchange protein wpi

Balance-BCCA fuel and recovery tablets

MuscleTech- nano Vapor (pre-workout)

MuscleTech- anabolic Halo (post-workout)

A buddy of mine used Vapor before and noticed a pretty large difference as well as far as the intensity of his work out.

I also had a product named "Jacked" recommended to me.

But i have defiantly noticed a difference, and so have friends, since i started using supplements.
Back to top Go down
circusfreak

circusfreak

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 24, 2010 8:07 am

Just recently, like in the last week, someone gave me 3 sample sachets of N.O SHOTGUN by vpx sports to try out. Its a pre-workout sup. Man did i feel the difference. Its expensive stuff, a little out of my price range, but damn it is the s**t.
Also asked one of the elite just recently what sup they would recommend as i told them that i was looking into getting a pre-workout sup, and they recommended BSN NO-XPLODE as a pre-workout sup. I have since checked it out and think i will get that the next time i put a order in, plus BSN CELLMASS which is the post-workout sup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:14 am

circusfreak wrote:
Just recently, like in the last week, someone gave me 3 sample sachets of N.O SHOTGUN by vpx sports to try out. Its a pre-workout sup. Man did i feel the difference. Its expensive stuff, a little out of my price range, but damn it is the s**t.
Also asked one of the elite just recently what sup they would recommend as i told them that i was looking into getting a pre-workout sup, and they recommended BSN NO-XPLODE as a pre-workout sup. I have since checked it out and think i will get that the next time i put a order in, plus BSN CELLMASS which is the post-workout sup.

Yea the stuff really puts some hop in your step but it also adds up to a lot of $$

Smile
Back to top Go down
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyWed May 26, 2010 5:58 am

Let me just say this most of us dont have the money to keep buying meat to get high source of protein and that is daily because protein does not stayed stored in the body for long most and pretty much all elite athlete are on shakes The science is their if your not takeing them you simpley not geting enough or you just have loads dolla waste on meat every day and egggs for like all your meals ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Lwaterman92
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyWed May 26, 2010 6:08 am

If any one thinking about protine this is great site

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ You can get 5kg for £35
I cant find any where that can beat these prices
i would fully recomend shakes Who has the money for loads meat unles you live on fam and get steak every night but seriouls Being natural good but say if ever one was crawling around and you could walk WOULD YOU Or would u just crawl to fit in ?

If your like me Your protein intake requirement is 31.7 grams to 56.4 grams.

By way their is about 10 to 20 grams of protine in a chicken breast so you need about 3 or 2 chicken and day just to be takeing the requirment
Any one see where im going with this??

Ps 46g of protein per 60g serving in a protine shake from this website ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Lwaterman92
Bdog

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyWed May 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Protein and supplements are very overrated. I used to use all that stuff. If you want to gain you must look at calories. Protein is in the food. Keep going up on your calories with good food if you are not gaining. As for the supplements alot of them make you retain water which makes you look like you have gained muscle but it is just the body holding on to water. Salt does the same thing. Both are not good. Also alot of times when you buy supps it gets you pumped up and wanting to push harder,so alot of it could be mental.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DM

DM

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: muscle 95 (Inkospor), protein 90 plus (power system) - no Acesulfame Potassium and other s**t!   Protein Shakes EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 pm

fkncody wrote:
duf wrote:

muscle 95 (Inkospor), protein 90 plus (power system) - no Acesulfame Potassium and other s**t!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MutantSkillz

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 1:05 pm

circusfreak wrote:

Iv'e tried all the pre-workout you did named and my favorite is the Jack 3d... less scrap in it , then i would say my second would be N.O shotgun + it contains 20g of proteins which is good , but definitly JACK3D!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Catherine07

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 am

Protein shakes are supplements fitness that are provided in the form of candy powder that can be consumed for health benefits while maintaining great taste. They come in a series of samples of each of them has a specific taste. However, all of whom are spouses for a feature that is the concentration of the protein that gives them a better quality of body building. To add to their taste, are infused with different flavors, especially the different creams. Can lead to a number of qualities that are associated with different bays that are ideal for beverages containing low glucose sumptuous.

eiweissprotein
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Protein Shakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Protein Shakes   Protein Shakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Protein Shakes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Training :: Nutrition-
Jump to: