Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vitamins

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Yh just wondering on what people take
for their vitamins Im thinking takeing this super multi vitamins...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/Lwaterman92
Unleashed

Unleashed

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm

8 fruits per day (apple, banana, oranges, what ever....... etc

no pills or something
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

pulldoggpull

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 am

fruits, veggies..

licking stones.. o.O

minerals ftw Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unleashed

Unleashed

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyMon Jun 14, 2010 8:43 am

pulldoggpull wrote:
fruits, veggies..

licking stones.. o.O

minerals ftw Suspect

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 am

Recently I've started reading up on supplementation and optimal levels of vitamin and mineral intake. Since then, I've started supplementing with Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Magnesium.

I've heard many different estimates, but it's been established that many (atleast 50%) of people are deficient in Vitamin D. It helps with calcium absorption along with many other things. The body naturally produces about 10,000 IU a day of it due to sunlight exposure. It's hard to reach those levels purely by sunlight exposure unless you work an outdoor job or spend alot of your time outside. I know it's not possible for many people because of school, work, etc. Most things in society are indoors, which is good and bad.

There are a few kinds of fats. Saturated, unsaturated(polyunsaturated, monounsaturated), and trans fats. There are a few types of unsaturated fats known as the Omega Fats. Omega 3's, Omega 6's, and Omega 9's(these are not considered essential by many). We need Omega 3's, but they're most prominent in fish, flax seeds, and walnuts. You need them, but it's hard to get enough of them (about 3 or 4 grams daily) just through whole foods because over time, the nutrient profile of most foods have changed. Farmed food has a different nutrient content than wild food, and therefore the consumer doesn't get the same amount of nutrients that you would in the wild. Sure, if you lived in the wild and ate only whole foods you wouldn't likely be deficient in many if any nutrients. But with many complex issues like stress, soil quality, water quality, etc., it makes it hard to get your complete nutrition from just whole foods.

Ideally, your Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio would be 1:1 or around there. Many Americans have them around 1:10 or 1:20, which is far from ideal. This is because many vegetable oils provide Omega 6's. Corn oil, soybean oil, etc. The problem with Omega 6's is that they are pro-inflammation. Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory. If you have too much pro-inflammatory substance and not enough anti-inflammatory, you're in for inflammation. That doesn't even account for the inflammation that naturally occurs in the body. But, as you can see, having a good ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is important. Cut down on omega 6 intake and increase omega 3 intake.

Also, when you workout, your body uses a good bit of some minerals. Zinc, magnesium, sodium, etc. are all essential. You want to replenish the minerals that you use up. It's been said that about 50% of people are also deficient in zinc and magnesium. Athletes need more minerals than a sedentary person. So it's in best interest to supplement for adequate recovery. Supplementing can help raise testosterone levels to normal levels if you're deficient in the minerals. Look into ZMA(Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6) or CMZ(Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc). ZMA is more expensive, but I've heard great things about it from users. CMZ is cheaper and may not be absorbed as good as ZMA because it has Calcium with Magnesium, which compete for absorption in the gut. But taking a slightly higher dose of CMZ should not be an issue then.

If you've got any other questions, let me know.
In my opinion, pre-workout supplements and the like are worthless. Supplementation should be spent on vitamins and minerals as needed. And remember, if you don't notice a change after taking the supplement, don't keep on buying it. Only buy it if it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:06 pm

raja wrote:
Recently I've started reading up on supplementation and optimal levels of vitamin and mineral intake. Since then, I've started supplementing with Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Magnesium.

I've heard many different estimates, but it's been established that many (atleast 50%) of people are deficient in Vitamin D. It helps with calcium absorption along with many other things. The body naturally produces about 10,000 IU a day of it due to sunlight exposure. It's hard to reach those levels purely by sunlight exposure unless you work an outdoor job or spend alot of your time outside. I know it's not possible for many people because of school, work, etc. Most things in society are indoors, which is good and bad.

There are a few kinds of fats. Saturated, unsaturated(polyunsaturated, monounsaturated), and trans fats. There are a few types of unsaturated fats known as the Omega Fats. Omega 3's, Omega 6's, and Omega 9's(these are not considered essential by many). We need Omega 3's, but they're most prominent in fish, flax seeds, and walnuts. You need them, but it's hard to get enough of them (about 3 or 4 grams daily) just through whole foods because over time, the nutrient profile of most foods have changed. Farmed food has a different nutrient content than wild food, and therefore the consumer doesn't get the same amount of nutrients that you would in the wild. Sure, if you lived in the wild and ate only whole foods you wouldn't likely be deficient in many if any nutrients. But with many complex issues like stress, soil quality, water quality, etc., it makes it hard to get your complete nutrition from just whole foods.

Ideally, your Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio would be 1:1 or around there. Many Americans have them around 1:10 or 1:20, which is far from ideal. This is because many vegetable oils provide Omega 6's. Corn oil, soybean oil, etc. The problem with Omega 6's is that they are pro-inflammation. Omega 3's are anti-inflammatory. If you have too much pro-inflammatory substance and not enough anti-inflammatory, you're in for inflammation. That doesn't even account for the inflammation that naturally occurs in the body. But, as you can see, having a good ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is important. Cut down on omega 6 intake and increase omega 3 intake.

Also, when you workout, your body uses a good bit of some minerals. Zinc, magnesium, sodium, etc. are all essential. You want to replenish the minerals that you use up. It's been said that about 50% of people are also deficient in zinc and magnesium. Athletes need more minerals than a sedentary person. So it's in best interest to supplement for adequate recovery. Supplementing can help raise testosterone levels to normal levels if you're deficient in the minerals. Look into ZMA(Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B6) or CMZ(Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc). ZMA is more expensive, but I've heard great things about it from users. CMZ is cheaper and may not be absorbed as good as ZMA because it has Calcium with Magnesium, which compete for absorption in the gut. But taking a slightly higher dose of CMZ should not be an issue then.

If you've got any other questions, let me know.
In my opinion, pre-workout supplements and the like are worthless. Supplementation should be spent on vitamins and minerals as needed. And remember, if you don't notice a change after taking the supplement, don't keep on buying it. Only buy it if it works.

I think you may have worded some things wrong up there. You dont use minerals while you workout. You may lose some but they are not used in workouts. Also, you dont need that much linolenic (omega 3's) and you need more linoleic (omega 6's). As a 190 lb 20 year old i need 1.7 grams of omega 3's. Your ratio should be 1:6 (3's to 6's).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. My wording was off. I didn't really know how to explain it. The balance of nutrients gets "disturbed." But some minerals (magnesium, zinc, etc.) as well as vitamins are required in larger amounts to sustain intense physical activity. and proper recovery If the balance is out of whack, then you wouldn't be able to work for as long.

There's no general consensus on the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. Some say 1:6, others say 1:2, 1:1, etc. The thing is everyone is different. Different body compositions, genetics, etc. so having a set number isn't exactly necessary, but I believe that if the ratio is closer to 1:1 or 1:2, it wouldn't hurt and it may provide more benefits than a ratio of say, 1:6.

Nutrition is a young science and it's mind-boggling to me how there is no agreement on almost every topic. People argue over whether calories in has to equal calories out, how much of each nutrient we need, meal frequency, etc. I believe that the best way to practice nutrition is to focus on what works for you. Trial and error is good because you get to know your body very well that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 6:32 pm

raja wrote:

Nutrition is a young science and it's mind-boggling to me how there is no agreement on almost every topic. People argue over whether calories in has to equal calories out, how much of each nutrient we need, meal frequency, etc. I believe that the best way to practice nutrition is to focus on what works for you. Trial and error is good because you get to know your body very well that way.

Fact
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoy

McCoy

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 1:49 am

Mdrop wrote:
raja wrote:

Fact

Yeah seriously. As far as nutrition is concerned, if you eat a healthy balance of veggies, fruits, nuts and meat, I don't think you'll be in nutritional trouble anytime soon unless you get those things at McDonald's or you stay inside all day long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kidRiot

kidRiot

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 1:57 pm

This is a vitamin, but Cissus is amazing. Helps support your joints. IMO, the number one supplement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

jessicajane

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 pm

raja wrote:
Thanks for the advice. My wording was off. I didn't really know how to explain it. The balance of nutrients gets "disturbed." But some minerals (magnesium, zinc, etc.) as well as vitamins are required in larger amounts to sustain intense physical activity. and proper recovery If the balance is out of whack, then you wouldn't be able to work for as long.

There's no general consensus on the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio. Some say 1:6, others say 1:2, 1:1, etc. The thing is everyone is different. Different body compositions, genetics, etc. so having a set number isn't exactly necessary, but I believe that if the ratio is closer to 1:1 or 1:2, it wouldn't hurt and it may provide more benefits than a ratio of say, 1:6.

Polyunsaturated fats, rich in omega-6, should be severely limited... The ratio between 3 and 6 should, ideally, be 1:1. If anything, omega-3 fatty acids should EXCEED omega-6 fatty acids, rather than the other way around. NOW EAT YOUR FISH! ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:16 am

lol. what that guy said about nutrition is right. its s**t. the science i mean.. i love food lol.

but still. that moto that u have to burn more then u eat.. well i never gave it much thought and i was always lean. i dont see the obsession..
eat meat, fish, veggies and fruits. mix in some cereal with milk and drink water and u got ure diet. oh and some carbs too lol.
wheres the complication really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

jessicajane

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

BleHz0r wrote:
lol. what that guy said about nutrition is right. its s**t. the science i mean.. i love food lol.

but still. that moto that u have to burn more then u eat.. well i never gave it much thought and i was always lean. i dont see the obsession..
eat meat, fish, veggies and fruits. mix in some cereal with milk and drink water and u got ure diet. oh and some carbs too lol.
wheres the complication really?

It depends on how lean you want to get. I bet you naturally burn more than you consume due to your hour-long training sessions. It's pretty challenging for most people to get super lean though, for example, 8% for a male or 15% for a female, but I'd say that's only for aesthetic purposes... I adopted Martin Berkhan's Lean Gains protocol, 16 hours of fasting coupled with 8 hours of feeding, and found that to be a pretty simple way to get all the benefits of fasting and fat loss while still feeling like I wasn't deprived.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 am

well lately honestly i havent been doing s**t. no boxing trainings anymore and not doing anything else cuz its so hot i wanna burnout everytime i move. so basicaly im just sitting and eating all the time. and drinking beer.. xD
must admit.. gained a few pounds, but dont really care lol

well i eat when i can and when i want. what i want. and that simple way helped me no matter what i did with my trainings lol.
to each their own tho i guess. ive always been slightly overweight. then got lean.. now im a bit higher then usual on the bodyweight again but i dont give a crap xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Vitamins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vitamins   Vitamins Empty

Back to top Go down

Vitamins
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Training :: Nutrition-
Jump to: