HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Milk vs Protein Shakes

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 am

@mgraham404

yes totally true bro im just backing more off my statment up with the other rest of millions articles and all the sports science out their ..

but the more people that do agree with you is more likey you are correct but it dont matter u could still be wrong ..
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lwaterman92
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Lwaterman92 wrote:
@ bdog where does it say u can't..
and theirs more research out their what supports them
and i can guarantee their a lot more people who agree with me that their are really good just look at reviews sales that sort of thing do your research you know what im saying ..
Keep researching on nutrititon you will find that the majority are usually wrong on most things. There's research also that says your body doesn't recognize isolated protein (protein powders) the way it does protein in food. Think about it it makes perfect sense. There's a reason whole foods are the best. Who cares if more agree with you? Anyone that wants to take protein powders go ahead. I used to take them all the time. My digestion is 10x better now that I don't. Don't mistake them for being healthy though especially the ones you get at stores like GNC, loaded with chemicals. There's alot of bullshit marketing that goes into this and also some of these big companies pay for fake studies to promote their product.
Back to top Go down
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 2:57 pm

their more research to back protein shakes than their is to say their s**t..
Post the article if you really want me to ..

and how do u mean not recognise?
yes i would say through liquid it should get in system a lot faster..

side effect from protein they might make u fart if u take a lot in short time frame
but apart from that their are fine really need say all the positives they do. its more positives than negative near for its good...

and bdog ask your self this do u even know how they make it ?
Back to top Go down
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 pm

@lwaterman do you know how they make it? Answer your own question. Can you read ingredients you will see the crazy sh#t that's in most of these. Just remember the nutritionists and scientists that say they aren't good have nothing to gain. That can't be said for alot (not all) of others who promote these powders. I don't take them anymore and you do no big deal. No point in arguing anymore about it. It's going no where.
Back to top Go down
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm

When I say not recognise I mean that when you eat a whole food it is has protein,fat,carbs and many other nutrients with it that work together. When you isolate one nutrient your body doesnt' recognize it the same way. Anyways for me I just eat and I used to blend fruit with protein powders. Now I just blend up alot of fruit and have lost no muscle and am actually gaining. I've just upped my calories from good food and my protein intake is lower than ever. If protein is everything why am I not losing muscle?
Back to top Go down
Lwaterman92

Lwaterman92

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:02 pm

whats your weight and how much protien do u intake daily and how much do u exrcise if u want true readings.???

protein does not just contain protein ..
also you should of lost muscle only if u stop training for 2 weeks i think it is after a 2 week break u start to loss muscle i am told not sure if this is true but yeah ..

all im trying say is its a really important facted in people who work out and to be geting enough daily is this is building block to gaining muscle no protein no muscle ! u know that it dont matter where u get it from it just matters if u get it at enough daily even when resting or wat ever u need it to repair a grow stronger cheers
Back to top Go down
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm

dude wtf?! ive been out of commision for like 6 months at one time.. i didnt loose ANY muscle mass. i gained some fat and lost almost all my strenght, but no mass.
2 weeks is bullshit. if u do loads of endurance cardio than MAYBE u start loosing in 2 weeks. other than that i dont think theres anything that can make u loose muscles in 2 lousy weeks. wtf

and for the record.. ive read studies that show protein being in EVERYTHING. so if u eat enough and cut at the same time staying lean shouldnt be a problem. for gaining muscle mass? well eat more meat then. thats all there is to it.

protein powders are a waste of money. sure if u have money u can spend, why not. but other than that its stupid. i used to eat about 200g of protein powders per day for a month to test it all out. eating normaly.
i gained what.. 2-4 pounds? i ran out of that powder, and mind you, it was good from what i could tell.
so next month i started eating more.. i stuffed myself with shitloads of food, about 4-6 times, HUGE meals.. yes i know its not healthy blabla.. but my stomach can handle alot, and i mean ALOT, with no bad sideeffects.
so.. i was doing cardio 3-4 times a week while doing mass training 3-5 times a week. i gained about 4-6 pounds of muscles and lost about 2-4 pounds of fat. so i gained twice-ish as much with food. so trust me, and im not telling u what to do.. but drop the powder, buy steaks, chicken, turkey, pigmeat, cowmeat.. everything that isnt too fat.
and the fat u gain of that isnt really a big deal if u do cardio with it. and it helps to release all the good s**t, eg nutrients and stuff in ur blood and body and muscles.
granted, eating like this is a bit extreme, but just look at metin and i think u'll see where im goin with it.
Back to top Go down
ohiosteve

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 9:49 am

That was a wonderful post about how much you can eat, but it still does nothing to back up your point about protein powders being "a waste of money". This statement is simply untrue. Go back and read my earlier posts in this thread.
Back to top Go down
raja

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 10:15 am

Rabbit starvation anyone?

On topic: Protein powders have their use. If you're just taking it to attempt to gain weight as a result, then there are better ways in my opinion(focus more on quality of food and quantity as well). If you're taking it to maintain muscle mass during a severe caloric deficit(bodybuilders prepping for a contest), it's certainly an easier way to do that than just whole foods.

It's hard to get quality protein powders. But protein powder from New Zealand is of higher quality than most available elsewhere because of it being made from grass-fed cow milk, among other things. If I were to recommend protein powders, I'd recommend one with the least amount of additives(flavor, color, etc) and made from the best ingredients.
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 11:09 am

ohiosteve wrote:
That was a wonderful post about how much you can eat, but it still does nothing to back up your point about protein powders being "a waste of money". This statement is simply untrue. Go back and read my earlier posts in this thread.

They're a waste of money because there are cheaper, more effective ways to get protein. Milk, eggs, tuna, all that stuff is cheap, and theres more protein per serving then most average powders or shakes. Protein powder is overpriced because of marketing gimmicks.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/PhilliamDane
ohiosteve

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Care to back up any of those claims?

As I said before, read over my previous posts and you would know just one of the benefits of protein powder is glutathione, which is an essential immune system building block and is almost impossible to get from food.

Actually, if you add up the cost per gram ratio, you will find that most protein powders are actually cheaper than other foods, and by a long shot, especially chicken and tuna.

Protein powder is THE most bioavailable form of protein, and therefore THE most effective way to get protein to be actually USED in your system.

Protein powder has DEFINITE ADVANTAGES and is actually a very economical choice in regards to protein consumption.

Back to top Go down
superbenx

superbenx

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 2:49 pm

the proccesd milk you buy in store is bad for you sorry.. and protein shake is not even a food lol..
btw human is the only one specie that drinks milk from other animals lol its sounds fucked up alot...
I never heared about any other animal sucking cow nipple..
Back to top Go down
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 4:08 pm

superbenx wrote:
the proccesd milk you buy in store is bad for you sorry.. and protein shake is not even a food lol..
btw human is the only one specie that drinks milk from other animals lol its sounds fucked up alot...
LOL! Good point! There's a website called Notmilk.com.
Back to top Go down
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 5:41 pm

ohiosteve wrote:
Care to back up any of those claims?

As I said before, read over my previous posts and you would know just one of the benefits of protein powder is glutathione, which is an essential immune system building block and is almost impossible to get from food.

Actually, if you add up the cost per gram ratio, you will find that most protein powders are actually cheaper than other foods, and by a long shot, especially chicken and tuna.

Protein powder is THE most bioavailable form of protein, and therefore THE most effective way to get protein to be actually USED in your system.

Protein powder has DEFINITE ADVANTAGES and is actually a very economical choice in regards to protein consumption.
hahaha. ure so high up on your protein powders are the shiat theory, that u dont even read what everyone is writing.
natural beats artificial/proccesed anytime. and lol.. if glutathione is so important, then why do so many people function perfectly without eating powders? and how come i dont get sick prancing around half naked and having sick people all around me all the time, without glutathione? seriously man, i know im just one person, but how does my immune system function so well without f**kin extra glutathione?
i dont see the benefits. i never experienced the benefits. its just someones money making idea. meat gives more anyhow, even if its more expensive.. besides, u dont have to worry about getting a new can of powder everytime. u just go buy some meat and have one less thing to waste money on, and worry about..

oh and i read the whole thread btw.
from what i know, and have read, half of what u pay for extra, u get in food in maybe lower quantities, but of better quality +your body produces proteins and other nutrients itself.. which is like a quarter of ure normal intake, if not more. dont remember exactly how it goes and cba to search for it now.

ps.
ohiosteve wrote:
thats a great post about how to be thickminded. and yeah bragging about how much i can eat is exactly what i was doing.. what are u, stoned?
Back to top Go down
ohiosteve

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:41 am

Everyone does have glutathione in their system, which is why you're NOT sick all the time. If you have an all-around healthy diet, you can get it from natural foods. Most people don't exactly have a really healthy diet.

BTW, I have read the entire thread. I never said "protein powders are the
'shiat'" or anything close to it.

However, Whey protein is still the most bioavailable protein source.

Whey protein is the cheapest protein source.

Whey protein is the most portable and, at times, the most convenient protein source.

There are plenty of whey protein powders not made like the processed, Wal Mart brands or even most of the hyped up, bodybuilder brands from GNC or Vitamin World. Look around.

And what is this "meat gives more" statement about? Meat gives more? More what? If you're talking about protein per dollar or even protein per calorie, you're wrong. Whey protein wins. Nothing wrong with meat, and I eat it myself, but that statement was incorrect.

"sides, u dont have to worry about getting a new can of powder everytime. u just go buy some meat and have one less thing to waste money on, and worry about.."

My friend, whether you buy whey protein powder, or meat, you still have to buy more when you run out. What does this mean?

PS.

Yeah, keep bragging about how much you can eat, even though that sounds like about half of what my 80 year old grandmother eats. What are you, a bird?
Back to top Go down
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 am

man. ure right. its so good the whole world should have and eat it!! i mean, i cant see how they've been functioning without it till now?!?!11'?! :O:O

im done man. dont see why i bothered in the first place.

nao man, not a bird.
Back to top Go down
raja

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am

superbenx wrote:

That's actually a false statement. Ants are "dairy farmers" as well. Not the best source, but it's not the source I originally heard of it from either. http://www.badhonhara.com/Article_Body.php?Article_ID=336&Sub_Sub_Category_ID=168

ohiosteve wrote:
Whey protein is the cheapest protein source.

And what is this "meat gives more" statement about? Meat gives more? More what? If you're talking about protein per dollar or even protein per calorie, you're wrong. Whey protein wins. Nothing wrong with meat, and I eat it myself, but that statement was incorrect.

Whey protein is the cheapest source for good reason. Most brands(like you mentioned) are terrible quality. GNC-esque brands are what most people consume. When you recommend whey protein for glutathione, you're basically telling most individuals(who don't know any better) to go into the local GNC, wal-mart, etc. to pick up a bodybuilder brand whey protein powder. Good whey protein powder costs more money and is signinficantly more expensive than generic brands. Look up whey protein from New Zealand. It's very high quality and significantly more expensive than GNC brand protein.

Meat is more nutrient-dense than whey protein is.

If all you think about is glutathione, then you'll miss out on all of the essential micronutrients for health(iodine, magnesium, zinc, etc.) that are found in other, whole food options.

As for glutathione, there are quite a few sources of it naturally. Asparagus, brocolli, avocado, spinach, etc. all have it. I eat those regularly, does that mean I should take whey protein for it? Absolutely not. As for your whey protein argument, you need to make sure that it's from a quality source, as I've mentioned before. If you're buying denatured whey protein, that's as good as pissing away your money.
Back to top Go down
Bryce14

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 am

Protein shakes for weight loss is so easy a way to help you stay on track and avoid snacking on bad food. It is convenient and healthy alternative, which would be part of your overall eating plan. While you will still need to get most of your caloric intake at Whole Foods, smoothies, blender drinks or can be a good change of pace. There are many options in today's marketplace, and so you should be able to find OptIn that fits your taste and your weight loss goals.

protein85
Back to top Go down
DNL

DNL

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Eh, imo you can't compare milk and protein shakes, because milk isn't a protein rich nourishment...
Milk has a max of 4% proteins in it, and the rest is almost water... If you don't want to take protein shakes, than just eat lowfat quark, it has sometimes up to 15% proteins and it's still natural.
Back to top Go down
p'titor

p'titor

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 5:44 am

DNL wrote:
Eh, imo you can't compare milk and protein shakes, because milk isn't a protein rich nourishment...
Milk has a max of 4% proteins in it, and the rest is almost water... If you don't want to take protein shakes, than just eat lowfat quark, it has sometimes up to 15% proteins and it's still natural.

Yes I don't understand why people are not talking more about lowfat quark and low fat cottage chess. With them you can make your own protein shack. Just mix one of them with milk and one fruit, you can also add nuts or peanuts butter. You can use apple, banana, frozen strawberry and even oatmeal if you want more cards, it's full of protein and taste is great.
Back to top Go down
ChimarraoMate

ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 4:20 pm

So, protein shakes is a very generic topic. Milk is a protein shake of course, but not suitable for everyone. Milk has Lactos, which many have allergies to. In fact, even folks that have drank milk their entire life, can have an allergy that they did not know existed. Genetically, cows milk is not subtable for human consumption, but there are components of milk that are.

The two proteins in milk are Whey and Casein. Protein shakes are a great way to remove the bad (lactos) leaving the good. Again, good is a broad way of describing the benefits. Some will find it imposible to get below 10% BF while drinking milk, so that is where protein shakes can really help.

Personally, as a rule: I love real foods and avoid processed foods almost completely. I eat lean meats, vegies, fruits, and healthy sources of fat like nuts that are high in Omega 3's.

There are two and only two exceptions to this rule:

1. I use a good quality fast acting Whey Isolate/Concentrate right after workouts with a good fast acting carb. There is just not a fast enough acting protein available on the marked to take advantage of the 2 hour 3-4x glycogen recovery window that occurs right after a workout except whey.

2. If I am going to workout in the morning, I Drink whey right when I wake up, 1-2 hours before the workout with something like a banana or a cup of apple sauce. Not an apple, because it has to much fiber, and you don't want your body to be working on digestion while you are working out.

But wait, I talked about casein protein as being beneficial. Casein protein is the slowest digesting protein around. It can take your body up to 8 hours to fully digest this. For that it is perfect to have right before you go to bed. While sleeping your body rebuilds muscles and cells at more than 3x the rate of when you are awake. Making sure it has the amino acids from protein to do this is important, or your body can actually become catabolic and start stealing lean muscle mass from one part of your lean body to repair another. Although you can get this from a dehydrated powdery shake, Cottage Cheese will give you ample amounts of this, and is much more pleasant for you to eat with some nuts right before you go to bed. 1 cup of Cottage cheese has about 28g of protein. This will keep a constant flow of BCAA's flowing through your blood while you sleep so that your body can rebuild without becoming catabolic.

Hope this helps. I think many folks here are very close to being Paleo, and if you really want a great read, read The Paleo Diet for Athletes. I have been following this for 7 weeks, and have gone from 12.9% bf to 6.9% bf (measured in a Bod Pod) in 6 weeks. That is with a gain of 1.6 lbs lean mass and I lost 11.8 lb of Fat in this same 6 weeks. The Paleo Diet is very strict about staying away from processed foods. But a Paleo Diet for Athletes, founded by the same doctors and coaches as the Paleo Diet, concedes that there is no replacement for Whey protein around training. As far as Cottage Cheese goes, that is my cheat food, as the diet does not promote it's use. It would promote sleeping as a fast time, allowing the body to be some what catabolic durring this time.
Back to top Go down
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 12:28 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:

There are two and only two exceptions to this rule:

1. I use a good quality fast acting Whey Isolate/Concentrate right after workouts with a good fast acting carb. There is just not a fast enough acting protein available on the marked to take advantage of the 2 hour 3-4x glycogen recovery window that occurs right after a workout except whey.

Many studies concur that protein and carbs work synergistic-ally to aid recovery. What the companies that sell you these whey isolates don't convenient-ally mention is that what you ate before and how long before you worked out is a factor to whether fast digestion and absorption of nutrients is needed. This is where true nutritional timing comes into play. We seem to have this trend (thanks to the whey product companies) to focus on this supposed critical window. The reality is that after digestion your body is still absorbing nutrients. So a correctly timed feed before a workout can leave you still absorbing nutrients during and after your workout. This feed can hand over to your post workout meal/feed.

If you can eat whole foods very soon after your workout and have timed your feed before hand. You negate any need to buy into this "whey hype".

For some people the convenience of a whey shake just makes it easier to replenish. But that's all it is at the end of the day. Convenience. Essential it isn't.
Back to top Go down
mistakenshyness

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I agree that it all comes down to convenience. For some reason I normally struggle to want to eat extra calories and protein, but if I put them in a 500 ml protein shake I can practically inhale them within seconds. It's all very well to know factually that whole foods are better than protein shakes, but if I also know that I just won't be able to make myself eat the extra food, I know I'm better off with shakes.
Back to top Go down
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 4:10 am

mistakenshyness wrote:
I agree that it all comes down to convenience. For some reason I normally struggle to want to eat extra calories and protein, but if I put them in a 500 ml protein shake I can practically inhale them within seconds. It's all very well to know factually that whole foods are better than protein shakes, but if I also know that I just won't be able to make myself eat the extra food, I know I'm better off with shakes.

Try stepping up the intensity of your workouts. Your appetite for extra calories will be there!!
Back to top Go down
ghostrider55

ghostrider55

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 pm

erelax wrote:
Does anyone favour one or the other or both at the same time? what would be best to use for someone at the beginning of training?

Are there any major benefits for each one? or major flaws?

Any advice from people would be greatly appreciated

thanks
-Sam

I'm trying to avoid both because i get acne after digesting them Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Milk vs Protein Shakes   Milk vs Protein Shakes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Milk vs Protein Shakes
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bar-barians :: Training :: Nutrition-
Jump to: