Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Muscle up progression

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duf

Duf

Muscle up progression Empty
PostSubject: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Well I can now jump into a muscle up, I couldn't even do that before. Doing this variety at least has given me a chance to figure out what the transition should feel like.

Back to top Go down
http://duf.net
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Interesting video. I hope you reach your goal very soon.

This technique is good for patterning a muscle up, I was taught this in person by Marcus Bondi. Also good for learning reverse grip muscle ups. but again it should be used only as a patterning drill not an "individual exercise".

My suggestions would be to work on more pull ups and more straight bar dips. I didn't even attempt a muscle up until I could do 20 pull ups. and 20 straight bar dips.

Thanks for sharing Duf.

PS. are those crocs with socks? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:05 am

Johnny 5 wrote:

Interesting video. I hope you reach your goal very soon.

This technique is good for patterning a muscle up, I was taught this in person by Marcus Bondi. Also good for learning reverse grip muscle ups. but again it should be used only as a patterning drill not an "individual exercise".

My suggestions would be to work on more pull ups and more straight bar dips. I didn't even attempt a muscle up until I could do 20 pull ups. and 20 straight bar dips.

Thanks for sharing Duf.

PS. are those crocs with socks? Suspect

Yea I have read of the 20/20 guideline. I'm not quite there yet. Thanks for the tips.

Yep Crocs with socks. Wink
Back to top Go down
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 am

Hey do you have access to a playground where the bars aren't straight? the ones with the gap in the middle? those are the only ones I can currently get MU's on (see the "my first MUs" topic I started for a video) because in the others my chest hits the bar I must not be pulling all that well but if you can get to those at least for the confidence booster. I'm pretty sure you could get them there if not really work at exploding in the pull up and getting the bar to below your chest.

I psych myself out sometimes and think about transitioning before I'm where I need to be and that's when I bang my chest when I do it in the straight bars but I'm still practicing.
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 9:11 am

Disembowelment wrote:
Hey do you have access to a playground where the bars aren't straight? the ones with the gap in the middle? those are the only ones I can currently get MU's on (see the "my first MUs" topic I started for a video) because in the others my chest hits the bar I must not be pulling all that well but if you can get to those at least for the confidence booster. I'm pretty sure you could get them there if not really work at exploding in the pull up and getting the bar to below your chest.

I psych myself out sometimes and think about transitioning before I'm where I need to be and that's when I bang my chest when I do it in the straight bars but I'm still practicing.

I have avoided those type of bars for that reason. The jumpping variety defintiely has helped my confidence with the movement. I just need to get the strength to plow through the transition without the legs.
Back to top Go down
Riba

Riba

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

I trained about 2 and half month to do Muscle up. I can do Muscle up with throwing one arm, and with a little touch chest bar. I think that you should first do some press ups (that was I doing), and have false grip on the bar (that false grip helps me a lot). I got one question, if I touch the bar with chest, or lean with the chest on the bar, with throwing one arm, does it still count as a Muscle up? cheers
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Riba wrote:
I trained about 2 and half month to do Muscle up. I can do Muscle up with throwing one arm, and with a little touch chest bar. I think that you should first do some press ups (that was I doing), and have false grip on the bar (that false grip helps me a lot). I got one question, if I touch the bar with chest, or lean with the chest on the bar, with throwing one arm, does it still count as a Muscle up? cheers

Well to me, if you get your body from under the bar to over the bar that is a muscle up. After that you get into the quality of it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Working the bar dips (after attempt at March challenge)
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Nice work duf! and yeah, those static holds really tax your arms.
Back to top Go down
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 am

NICE Duf , u look like u are almost able to to a muscle up. Hmm maybe if u reach 18-20 pull ups and u still cant muscle up try to workout for a bit with weighted pull ups and dip.

One question: are u trying to do a nice controlled muscle up or a kipping one at start?
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

1stratos1 wrote:
NICE Duf , u look like u are almost able to to a muscle up. Hmm maybe if u reach 18-20 pull ups and u still cant muscle up try to workout for a bit with weighted pull ups and dip.

One question: are u trying to do a nice controlled muscle up or a kipping one at start?

I am trying to do any variety. Smile I am a horrible kipper though so I need to rely on a good false grip and strong pull. I can probably get 16 or 17 pull ups right now.
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:21 am

Try to work on explosive pull ups and or clapping pull ups to start with.

Pretty much try and get as high as you can without actually aiming to go over, that's how i did my first one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

Tim wrote:
Try to work on explosive pull ups and or clapping pull ups to start with.

Pretty much try and get as high as you can without actually aiming to go over, that's how i did my first one Very Happy

Will do, I can pull past my nipples but I need to go even further.
Back to top Go down
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Nipples Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Johnny 5 wrote:

Nipples Very Happy

All about the nipples. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 pm

navel's your text target Wink
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 2:19 pm

Tim wrote:
navel's your text target Wink

I did some explosives today at the gym, I was pulling to the point where I felt the tri's getting worked so that is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 6:19 pm

i needed to go to google translator to understand what nipples and navel is lol .....

Yeah i heard from Ken (who done his 1st muscle up when we was able to do about 12-13 pull ups) that he was doing many kipping pull ups trying to go as high as possible so it sure will help u a lot Wink

BTW is he still alive? eeehh i mean he healed from his injuries?

Also i dont know why but it looked like that my eplosive strength is like getting worse.... Before start training with pull ups etc when i tried to pull up cause of luck of power i was kipping (useing full body kicking etc) but now i have get used to more clean form and it looks like i dont use my body so well to pull high ....

Back to top Go down
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
i needed to go to google translator to understand what nipples and navel is lol .....

Yeah i heard from Ken (who done his 1st muscle up when we was able to do about 12-13 pull ups) that he was doing many kipping pull ups trying to go as high as possible so it sure will help u a lot Wink

BTW is he still alive? eeehh i mean he healed from his injuries?

Also i dont know why but it looked like that my eplosive strength is like getting worse.... Before start training with pull ups etc when i tried to pull up cause of luck of power i was kipping (useing full body kicking etc) but now i have get used to more clean form and it looks like i dont use my body so well to pull high ....

Explosive strength is power. When you do pull ups with control and no kipping you work the muscles harder and build more raw strength, especially if the intensity is high enough. Doing pull ups faster with kipping and no pauses will work power i.e load x speed. It is generally considered to work on your strength first and make gains there then to develop power.
Back to top Go down
jackson44

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:51 am

You are pulling under the bar which is not getting you room enough to roll over. The trick to the bar MU is to pull behind the bar. You want as much distance between your chest and bar. Look at the picture again in beastskill about this.

When you pull behind the bar it is akward at first. But,I would suggest you just practice this for the next couple of days. Once you are able to do this, the MU is rather easy.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Jack
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression EmptySun May 15, 2011 12:26 pm

jackson44 wrote:
You are pulling under the bar which is not getting you room enough to roll over. The trick to the bar MU is to pull behind the bar. You want as much distance between your chest and bar. Look at the picture again in beastskill about this.

When you pull behind the bar it is akward at first. But,I would suggest you just practice this for the next couple of days. Once you are able to do this, the MU is rather easy.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
Jack

Thanks, I have been working assisted muscle ups so I think I am getting the idea, just need to put it all together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up progression   Muscle up progression Empty

Back to top Go down

Muscle up progression
Page 1 of 1