Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Started cutting carbs today

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RobK

Started cutting carbs today Empty
PostSubject: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey everyone,

Today I started cutting carbs from my diet, and it didn't go to bad. I felt hungry more than I think I should have. I had a headache most of the day, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. Today my total carb count was about 60 grams. I am going to continue to research and further cut my carbs to about 50 grams a day. This is very new to me, and very confusing and overwhelming so I am taking it slowly. If anybody has any tips they cold share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 pm

ok, so if you cut carbs and want the results to stay, you will have to cut carbs forever basically because once you re-introduce them back into your diet, all the weight (water) that you 'lost' comes back with it. are you ready for this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobK

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 pm

This sounds like a trick question lol!

Seriously though, I was under the impression that cutting carbs is the best way to get lean (along with exercise of course) if there is a better way please let me know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 10:32 pm

hey rob, i guess we're on the same boat.. except i load myself with carbs (not sure how many grams before 7pm) and make sure my training before 7pm too. so far its working for me. been doing for a week. noticing some gains in strength and appearance.. bad thing is you just feel a lil hungry at night..
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Hello sir,

I appreciate your sacrifice to become your best. We are all in the same "boat" in this regard. However......

The whole point of eating well is to have a healthy body, not just an aesthetically-pleasing body.

Stop to think about the point of cutting carbs, if you simply engage in more cardiovascular exercise then there would be no need to cut carbs because all those ingested would be used during exercise.

The food pyramid is not an arbitrary idea. Our bodies need each category of foods to function well. Anything out of moderation is bad for our bodies.

All the best to you!

mmmm carbs....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:29 am

keep some carbs around your work outs i.e before and after and have a cheat meal once a week.

Remember when you go into a calorie deficit you will find it harder to get all the nutrients to keep your immune system in its prime. And also your metabolism will just adapt to the calorie deficit after a while anyway.

As Johnny 5 said.....cardio
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:01 am

If you want to get lean, do cardio. Cutting carbs is VERY bad for you. Not only can you not replace muscle glycogen after a workout, but your muscles will be more than happy to utilize catabolic pathways for a quick energy source. Fat is in the VIP section of our body, and our body will use muscle before fat (unless we are doing long, moderate intensity periods of uninterrupted large muscle movement aka jogging etc). If you are looking to lose alot of weight then cut carbs, but realize these three things before you start.

1) For every pound of weight lost on a low carb diet, you lose .5 of a lb of muscle. For every pound lost on a high carb/protein diet, you lose .25 of a lb of muscle.

2) After a workout, you body will utilize all of your protein in a process called deamination. If u want me to explain it to you molecularly, pm me because ive already explained it like twice on this forum. You will not be able to utilize any of the protein (cant rebuild muscle) and your body still will not have enough carbs to replenish muscle glycogen. Deamination also makes you body extremely acidic, and can lead to acidosis.

3) YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (brain among other things) CAN ONLY USE CARBS AS FUEL. You can break down fats into ketones however for CN use. You cant survive on these, and they also make your body extremely acidic, leading to acidosis.

Having said all of this, i used to be on a no-carb diet until i started getting into nutrition in college. Before college all i did was read media hype, no actual scientific evidence, facts or studies. I just though "protein protein protein." I weighed 160 and couldnt gain any weight. My body fat was 3% and i was fucking shredded out of my mind. Im now 190 and still pretty dam lean, even with carbs in my diet.

Hope this helped brother
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobK

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am

Thank you so much everybody! I am very grateful to have so many willing and able people to help me. I am going to up my cardio, I enjoy running and biking so I will just do more of it, and I will stop cutting carbs. I have seen way to many negatives to cutting carbs and not nearly enough positives. Again, thank you all so very much! I would be very lost without you guys! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

you could change the type of carbs you eat. for example eat more fruits, vegetables and some whole grains. avoid processed carbs like cake, white bread, and stuff with white flour which all the nutrients have been stripped away during processing. do HIIT as your cardio since it has been proved to be more effective for fat loss you don't lose muscle doing it, as you would doing long steady state cardio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobK

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Vladimir wrote:
you could change the type of carbs you eat. for example eat more fruits, vegetables and some whole grains. avoid processed carbs like cake, white bread, and stuff with white flour which all the nutrients have been stripped away during processing. do HIIT as your cardio since it has been proved to be more effective for fat loss you don't lose muscle doing it, as you would doing long steady state cardio.

Thanks bro, I keep plenty of veggies and fruit around the house so im in good shape lol. What is HIIT? I have seen multiple mentions of it, but no answers.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 pm

MDROP, I don't do much cardio, i cut from 185 to 171-174 with only carbs in breakfast and no carbs for the rest of the day just traces from veggies and i lost no muscle or strength i been doing this for weeks now. I train intensely in a fasted state with just 10grams of BCAA my post workout meal is giant and the only meal with carbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Mdrop wrote:
If you want to get lean, do cardio. Cutting carbs is VERY bad for you. Not only can you not replace muscle glycogen after a workout, but your muscles will be more than happy to utilize catabolic pathways for a quick energy source. Fat is in the VIP section of our body, and our body will use muscle before fat (unless we are doing long, moderate intensity periods of uninterrupted large muscle movement aka jogging etc). If you are looking to lose alot of weight then cut carbs, but realize these three things before you start.

1) For every pound of weight lost on a low carb diet, you lose .5 of a lb of muscle. For every pound lost on a high carb/protein diet, you lose .25 of a lb of muscle.

2) After a workout, you body will utilize all of your protein in a process called deamination. If u want me to explain it to you molecularly, pm me because ive already explained it like twice on this forum. You will not be able to utilize any of the protein (cant rebuild muscle) and your body still will not have enough carbs to replenish muscle glycogen. Deamination also makes you body extremely acidic, and can lead to acidosis.

3) YOUR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (brain among other things) CAN ONLY USE CARBS AS FUEL. You can break down fats into ketones however for CN use. You cant survive on these, and they also make your body extremely acidic, leading to acidosis.

Having said all of this, i used to be on a no-carb diet until i started getting into nutrition in college. Before college all i did was read media hype, no actual scientific evidence, facts or studies. I just though "protein protein protein." I weighed 160 and couldnt gain any weight. My body fat was 3% and i was fucking shredded out of my mind. Im now 190 and still pretty dam lean, even with carbs in my diet.

Hope this helped brother
Great post +1!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:13 pm

ironloo wrote:
MDROP, I don't do much cardio, i cut from 185 to 171-174 with only carbs in breakfast and no carbs for the rest of the day just traces from veggies and i lost no muscle or strength i been doing this for weeks now. I train intensely in a fasted state with just 10grams of BCAA my post workout meal is giant and the only meal with carbs.

Awesome, so you are replacing the muscle glycogen. So you mean you workout before breakfast i take it? You have 100% lost SOME muscle, because it is impossible to cut without losing muscle, if u do it rapidly. How many weeks did it take u to lose the ten pounds? Also, your breakfast (especially if it contains really slow burning carbs) is burning slowly throughout the day. The main point is that you are eating the carbs after your workout, which is really the critical part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 8:43 pm

(HIIT)

High Intensity Interval Training

(HIRT)

High Intensity Resistance Training

Tabata

20 seconds of 100 % effort 10 second rest 8 rounds (4 minutes)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 pm

RobK wrote:
Vladimir wrote:

Thanks bro, I keep plenty of veggies and fruit around the house so im in good shape lol. What is HIIT? I have seen multiple mentions of it, but no answers.

Thanks
basically as johnny 5 said. tabata is a good example. there are many types of interval trainings. like for running for example: 5 min jog (warm up), then 5 x 30sec sprint/90sec light jog, followed by 5 min jog (cool down)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:54 am

Mdrop, about a pound a week, too rapid of weightloss is no good, plus the aminos bcaa i have before training preserves muscle so that i can burn fat. I actually feel stronger plus i do deadlifting 1-2 times a week i do cardio but limited do to fractured left foot from rugby i had it like this about 3years. Your right i am replacing muscle glycogen and that's important, but i know through trial and error for my body this is the best way to eat to stay lean cause i used to weigh 240lbs. super hard gainers should eat lots of carbs throughout the day and they will get lean, but me i am very carb sensitive and this is working.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:00 am

Also my post workout meal is my body weight in carbs about 175grams, protein is 100 grams, fat about 40+ grams and lots of calories i work physically at a lumber yard for 8-9hrs. heavy lifting cement bags, wood, material plus i workout throughout the day basics and advanced calisthenics so my breakfast sustain me for the day the 2 meals after are just chicken/fish and vegetables to stay lean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Lou is serious as a heart attack.

When are we going to see some more video's? I've heard some good things brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 9:42 pm

LOL, John i tore both hands at TSP last sat. my next video was going to be the bar-barian requirements today which i feel ready for, but i can't do muscle ups now cause the hands but i will post video's very soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel

Daniel

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I like the sound of that Loo. ( The requirements, not the whole torn to shreds hands )
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs
RobK

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am going to start my HIIT training this week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 pm

RobK wrote:

Seriously though, I was under the impression that cutting carbs is the best way to get lean (along with exercise of course) if there is a better way please let me know!

Cutting carbs works. You can't lose excess bodyfat without cutting carbohydrate consumption. Period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 am

raja wrote:
RobK wrote:

Cutting carbs works. You can't lose excess bodyfat without cutting carbohydrate consumption. Period.
Not true at all. Have you ever looked at civilizations like the okinawa or rural chinese who ate high carbohydrate diets which is what most plant foods are potatoes,grains,fruit,etc. They were not fat at all. If you're eating as much fat as most eat then of course you need to cut carbs. These people didn't put butter and oils on everything they ate. Is it really the potato making you fat or the butter,sour cream,cheese and bacon on that potato??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:01 pm

raja wrote:
RobK wrote:

It is one way. There are many ways. Don't think anyone has the monopoly over which is best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobK

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Im going to start HIIT training this week, and keep my carbs to about 50G a day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Started cutting carbs today   Started cutting carbs today Empty

Back to top Go down

Started cutting carbs today
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next