Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

crossfit!!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Strive92

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

What do you guys think of CrossFit? Anybody who tried it willing to share their results and experiences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyTue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm

i did it before i switched to just calisthenics. its a real good program for general fitness. basically you'll be decent in all or most categories of fitness as opposed to just being a good runner or weightlifter for example. also the high intensity of it makes it a great program for fat loss and getting ripped. you'll also get muscle, but these two things depend on how hard you do the workouts.

personal experiences with it...the workouts are really hard, my legs have gotten a lot stronger, i have gotten more ripped, pullups have improved a lot, cardio has gotten much better (can run more even though the workouts don't have a lot of running always), i liked it much better than traditional weightlifting cause there was no routine.

when i just switched to calisthenics I still did crossfit but just the bodyweight workouts. this was good and bad. good because they were still very hard, but bad because it was just the same pullups, pushups, situps, squats every or most days. some workouts i liked, others i thought weren't well thought out...like it seemed the people who made them would just pick random numbers like....4 rounds of 35 pullups, 1000 squats, 42 pushups, 68 box jumps for time...lol. I found that overall i didn't see much improvement because their workouts were too varied. another problem i had was that all the workouts are for time, so if you focus on time too much, your form goes down. also stick to deadhang pullups if you want to see strength gains as opposed to kipping.

right now im doing bar-barian type workouts with supersets and pyramids with basic exercises and their harder variations. i like it better because im seeing gains most often, yet still getting a challenging workout out of it.

i suggest try it out for a month to see how it is.
do this: 20 minutes, as many rounds as possible 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheHouDeani

TheHouDeani

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyTue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm

although I sometimes disagree with crossfit methodology(and its price), I still think it is the best mass-produced fitness program in the world- hands down. It touches on several different aspects of fitness(gymnastics, o-lifting, power lifting, met-cons, endurance, rowing, etc) and it builds a great community. you should pm either dawalli or 70's retro warrior on this site and ask them too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyTue May 24, 2011 9:00 pm

TheHouDeani wrote:
although I sometimes disagree with crossfit methodology(and its price), I still think it is the best mass-produced fitness program in the world- hands down. It touches on several different aspects of fitness(gymnastics, o-lifting, power lifting, met-cons, endurance, rowing, etc) and it builds a great community. you should pm either dawalli or 70's retro warrior on this site and ask them too.

+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

If i wasnt so in love with this i would def do crossfit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

daWALLi

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 12:31 am

I'm going back to Canada real soon to open my own CrossFit gym.

I love calisthenics and the Bar-barians type of training, so CrossFit is great because it has a lot of bodyweight type training in it.

I've definitely seen improvements in my overall fitness since I started doing CrossFit about a year ago. I'm a stickler for good form, so even though the workouts are intense and timed, I NEVER compromise my form.

My dream of owning my own gym where I can do Bar-barians style training will be realized with a great customized bar set-up. Building a community and helping people get in shape and be healthy are my main goals.

And of course, getting the Bar-barians to my gym for a seminar in the future is a HUGE goal!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 4:05 am

daWALLi wrote:

And of course, getting the Bar-barians to my gym for a seminar in the future is a HUGE goal!

That would be pretty awesome!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniel

Daniel

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 5:09 am

daWALLi wrote:

I love calisthenics and the Bar-barians type of training, so CrossFit is great because it has a lot of bodyweight type training in it.

I've definitely seen improvements in my overall fitness since I started doing CrossFit about a year ago. I'm a stickler for good form, so even though the workouts are intense and timed, I NEVER compromise my form.

My dream of owning my own gym where I can do Bar-barians style training will be realized with a great customized bar set-up. Building a community and helping people get in shape and be healthy are my main goals.

Wink sounds great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs
Strive92

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 9:25 am

thanks for the replies guys! dawalli, thehoudeani, vladimir and other who have tried crossfit, aft maybe like 3 months, did you see an obvious gain in mass?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:47 am

There are some flaws with the programming IMO. Focusing on nothing to be good at everything is bad way to become a 'jack of all trades'. Excessively high reps, ignorance of technicalities of moves, etc. all keep it from achieving its goal of 'elite fitness'.

If you want to be a well-conditioned athlete that can handle anything thrown at you, a mix of gymnastics/calisthenics, olympic weightlifting, and sprinting will get you there.

Edit: the one thing that I believe that crossfit is best for is the community. The exposure to all the different modalities of training(gymnastics, olifting, powerlifting, track and field, endurance athletes, etc.) all meet up there. It introduces you to the different types of training and allows you specialize in that style of training. Very few people stick to crossfit as it's written, and it's fairly obvious as to why.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:11 pm

daWALLi wrote:

best of luck with that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Strive92 wrote:
thanks for the replies guys! dawalli, thehoudeani, vladimir and other who have tried crossfit, aft maybe like 3 months, did you see an obvious gain in mass?

nothing HUGE, but an obvious visible transformation...more visible muscle in general, all over the body, especially arms and back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kendallba

Kendallba

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:42 pm

daWALLi wrote:

daWALLi- I'm headed to s. Korea next week, I'm going to have to try to milk your park location knowledge before you roll out!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kendallba

Kendallba

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: I did crossfit for a little over 2 months   crossfit!! EmptyWed May 25, 2011 11:49 pm

It was great!

I got injured so i had to quit, but getting hurt was my own fault (lack of solid - cosistent warm up)

but i can tell you that yourlevel of conditioning will sky rocket.

i used to dread running, but after a month or so of crossfit, i could run 5k (and finish strong) without any worries.

Also, i was trying to gain weight at the time, and was taking creatine and weigh protein during this time.

crossfit ate up all the calories and i still got pretty cut in lue of all the excess calories

overall its good stuff...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

daWALLi

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks guys! I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Some busy months ahead!

I can see how many people see CrossFit methodology as flawed, and there are a lot of examples of people doing dangerous movements without proper supervision. I particularly detest the elitist types that say CrossFit is the be all and end all and if you're not doing CrossFit you're wasting your time.

The truth is, no program is perfect and CrossFit is not for everyone. However, it is a great program for getting people in shape and changing their lives and the community aspect is a big bonus. I'm from eastern Canada and there are a lot of out of shape people who can greatly benefit from a program like CrossFit. There's a market for it, I think, so that's why I'm doing it. A pure calisthenics type gym would not make it, in my opinion.

As for mass gain? Not for me. I'm a hard gainer I guess. I eat clean and I'm extremely active, so it's hard for me to put on any weight, even with the weightlifting that's used in CrossFit. I have gotten stronger though, and I've also improved my cardio with running. I'm a mountain biker and I never ran before, but I'm getting more into it and I like it. I'm even more ripped than before, if that's possible! lol!

kendallba - you don't have to look very far in Korea - there's a bar around every corner!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:37 am

i see, thanks for all the replies man. im getting a very positive impression towards crossfit. but do you guys just do the WOD? or do you have other supplemental programs going on too?
anyway i dont wna get bulky, just wna look abit muscular and ripped. i think dawalli's body which is in his dp is the bodytype im looking for!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

daWALLi

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:10 am

Strive92 wrote:
i see, thanks for all the replies man. im getting a very positive impression towards crossfit. but do you guys just do the WOD? or do you have other supplemental programs going on too?
anyway i dont wna get bulky, just wna look abit muscular and ripped. i think dawalli's body which is in his dp is the bodytype im looking for!

I do the WOD, but I often change it depending on how I feel. I like CrossFit, but I'm definitely doing it with a heavy calisthenics bias. My favorite WOD is, and always will be, the Bar-barians requirements! Smile

And thanks! I've been lucky I guess. I've had the abs since junior high! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 10:26 am

daWALLi wrote:
My favorite WOD is, and always will be, the Bar-barians requirements! Smile

I thought that was just something to do everyday (or strive to do!!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

Vladimir

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 1:08 pm

daWALLi wrote:
Strive92 wrote:

I do the WOD, but I often change it depending on how I feel. I like CrossFit, but I'm definitely doing it with a heavy calisthenics bias. My favorite WOD is, and always will be, the Bar-barians requirements! Smile

to make your crossfit gym unique you can post daily bodyweight wods as well, aside from the regular crossfit wods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

Mdrop

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 7:55 pm

Strive92 wrote:

Unattainable. What i think we forgot to tell you is the dawalli is actually a cyborg. Sorry man. But you can get close! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

daWALLi

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Mdrop wrote:
Strive92 wrote:

Unattainable. What i think we forgot to tell you is the dawalli is actually a cyborg. Sorry man. But you can get close! Very Happy

Haha! My secret is out! Nah man, if I were a cyborg I would have had my Bar-barians t-shirt by now! Sad

@ Tim - true bro. I'm working my tail off, but can't seem to get all those reps together in 6 minutes. On the pull-ups and push-ups I'm about 5 reps shy, not to mention the 5 muscles ups at the very end. Nothing to do but keep plunging forward!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

daWALLi

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Vladimir wrote:
daWALLi wrote:
Strive92 wrote:

to make your crossfit gym unique you can post daily bodyweight wods as well, aside from the regular crossfit wods.

Great idea - I love it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyFri May 27, 2011 3:14 am

daWALLi wrote:

@ Tim - true bro. I'm working my tail off, but can't seem to get all those reps together in 6 minutes. On the pull-ups and push-ups I'm about 5 reps shy, not to mention the 5 muscles ups at the very end. Nothing to do but keep plunging forward!

I have to split the dips into 2 sets in order to achieve the 45, and I can't believe how hard the muscle-ups are at the end! I can't even manage one, instead I'm currently doing 5 pull ups and 5 bar dips Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyFri May 27, 2011 4:23 pm

Mdrop wrote:
Strive92 wrote:

would have been happy if i could get even close to that man! but good t know that crossfit does indeed make ppl look more muscular according to the peeps here. gonna try it in maybe a month or 2, after i get my base strength down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
madeself

madeself

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:54 pm

I love crossfit and the whole methodology behind it. if you are training for any type of endurance event, crossfit is definitely the way to go. you will learn a lot about yourself and how much you really got in the tank. i'm a huge believer in the program.

however as a bar-barian, i cringe every time i see crossfitters do those pullups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

mgraham404

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 am

madeself wrote:
however as a bar-barian, i cringe every time i see crossfitters do those pullups.

Yeah, not a fan of those kipping pull-ups. You should only do exercises that you're strong enough to do in perfect or close to perfect form. Form is key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

crossfit!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: crossfit!!   crossfit!! Empty

Back to top Go down

crossfit!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: