Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are you Gorilla Fit?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

Are you Gorilla Fit? Empty
PostSubject: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyThu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 pm

I just wanted to start a conversation on eating a mostly vegetarian diet. My friend has this company called Gorilla Fit and I suggest looking into it.

Vegetarianism is something I'm considering more and more as I get older. I just find it hard to completely go green, even though I've heard all he health benefits.

The DNA of gorillas is highly similar to that of a human, from 95-99% depending on what is counted, and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the two chimpanzee species.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Homo sapiens first appeared about 120,000 years ago.

Unequivocal evidence of widespread control of fire dates to approximately 125,000 years ago and later.

Richard Wrangham of Harvard University argues that cooking of plant foods may have triggered brain expansion by allowing complex carbohydrates in starchy foods to become more digestible and in effect allow humans to absorb more calories.

The amount of energy needed to digest cooked meat is less than raw meat, and cooking gelatinizes collagen and other connective tissues as well, opens up tightly woven carbohydrate molecules for easier absorption. Cooking also kills parasites and food poisoning bacteria.

The mainstream view among anthropologists is that the increases in human brain-size occurred well before the advent of cooking, due to a shift away from the consumption of nuts and berries to the consumption of meat.

I guess we evolved to eat meat. However, Is the meat we eat fresh?(processed) This is what I’m most concerned with. -duplicate

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 3:35 pm

The first study to examine the nation's supply of beef, chicken, pork and poultry for the presence of staph bacteria including MRSA, a strain of staph that is resistant to most commonly used antibiotics is shocking.

Nearly half of the tested samples from popular retailers were contaminated with staph, and most strans were reistant to more than one antbiotic. The sources of the resistant bacteria are in the animals, which are given antibiotics to counter unsanitary living conditions and boost meat production. -AP 2011

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Respectfully Johnny, you are slightly misguided. Our digestive systems are not like that of the Gorilla.

Also, again respectfully, there's over 2 million years of documented HUMAN evolution, why would you want to look at apes for your dietary choices? (source: http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils)

So while we definitely "split" from apes, we developed our own dietary needs and requirements which are different from apes remarkably. Also, please don't forget that many ape species DO consume meat (especially when they take over new territory, many species are known to eat the young almost like lions do)

Further, you can probably infer that I'm a meat eater, but I also understand the difference between current available meat and the type that was around hundreds (of thousands) of years ago. I try to procure only grass fed/pastured meat products, not just beef but properly raised chicken, duck, pork, etc. I live in NJ so this isn't always easy or doable. I also try to get wild-caught fish instead of the farmed kind. I strongly believe in the importance of animal protein and properly raised animal fats (most vitamins are fat soluble, fat dependent basically, many people forget about this, a diet low in fat also means a diet low in vitamin absorption, vegetarian diets can be very low fat, this is NOT good for the body) If you try to get good meats you will not be exposing yourself to hormones, antibiotics, etc... these strictly come out of factory farmed meat environments.

Lastly, may I suggest you take a look at www.marksdailyapple.com this site discusses "primal" nutrition. www.robbwolf.com is also another good resource as is www.archevore.com

Instead of cutting out meat/animals out entirely, why not give primal nutrition a 3 month trial and then do another 3 month trial of vegetarianism?

Best of luck man. Keep training.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 6:30 pm

Johnny 5 wrote:

Homo sapiens first appeared about 120,000 years ago.

Unequivocal evidence of widespread control of fire dates to approximately 125,000 years ago and later.

Richard Wrangham of Harvard University argues that cooking of plant foods may have triggered brain expansion by allowing complex carbohydrates in starchy foods to become more digestible and in effect allow humans to absorb more calories.

The amount of energy needed to digest cooked meat is less than raw meat, and cooking gelatinizes collagen and other connective tissues as well, opens up tightly woven carbohydrate molecules for easier absorption. Cooking also kills parasites and food poisoning bacteria.

The mainstream view among anthropologists is that the increases in human brain-size occurred well before the advent of cooking, due to a shift away from the consumption of nuts and berries to the consumption of meat.

I guess we evolved to eat meat. However, Is the meat we eat fresh?(processed) This is what I’m most concerned with. -duplicate

that's certainly a valid concern! do a search on eatwild.org for sources of good grass fed meat close to you. If you can get a few friends/relatives to buy in bulk with you it can actually be cheaper than supermarket meat so it's good all around. Grass fed meat is tastier, healthier, better for you and for the animal, and better for the environment. It's really a win-win from any angle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks fo your tthoughts D.

As I've said in the beginning, I wanted to start a conversation about eating a more vegetarian diet. Although, I am a new to this way of eating I cannot defend it or dismiss it at this time. The more I learn about eveything I beileve the truth lies somewhere in the middle ( as are many subjects) Smile

I do try to eat fresh meat if possible and eat mostly complex carbs.

Dairy and Red meat is on my list to eliminate, I just feel better when I don't consume them. Thats my biggest test, it's not what I read about but how I feel.

I will continue my research and as always pursue optimum health.

Thank you, and keep commenting on the topic. It's always good to talk nutrition.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Its been over a year i quit red meat and i lost 7lbs. from eliminating it from my diet i still feel very strong if not stronger. I still do drink milk usually only in the morning but i eat fish,shrimp,oysters,mussels, chicken daily with lots of nuts, fruits, vegetables, legumes, homemade juices. I am stronger, leaner, and have more stamina from eliminating red meat try it out John and see how you feel it helped me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyMon Jun 13, 2011 4:50 am

ironloo wrote:
I am stronger, leaner, and have more stamina from eliminating red meat try it out John and see how you feel it helped me.

I'm not saying that this isn't true, at least for you. However unless you've been doing some serious documenting and have a control study and various other things you can't exactly say that it has solely been the exclusion of red meat that has trimmed you up, given you more strength and stamina.

You diet will likely to have changed, even if only the replacement of red with white meat. This will likely have an impact on fat and mineral/vitamin consuption. Also what meals you eat might have changed, an extreme example (just to make the point) perhaps you used to eat roast beef and all the trimmings every sunday, you now no longer eat full roast dinners, but have chicken, boiled potatoes and veg... (loosing say roast potatoes and roast parsnips therefore losing some fat consumption)

Your stamina will increase as long as you exercise regardless of what you eat (There is the potential to have a greater increase in stamina, however you would need a control study to see this effect (and to be fair, a valid sample size Wink ))

Also, the amount of exercise and intensity might have changed (I'm almost certain after seeing you progress in your videos! - intensity at least Smile )

As you may have guessed I have a little stats in my background Wink I'm not dismissing your results however I would caution anyone from excluding red meat and expecting to see a marked increase in body fat percentage, stamina and strength.

Sure, trial it and see what results you get but don't think it's some miracle diet Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree with Tim.

@Ironloo, I doubt that it was the red meat that any effect on your weight loss. Pretty much all animal proteins are VERY similar (damn near identical, you could even say fish is fattier if that's the concern, which honestly it shoudn't be)

I would attribute your weight loss to the bar!

however, I have had other people tell me they DO feel better without red meat, and that they are slightly leaner as a result, less bloated, so MAYBE there's something to your claim.

I don't really believe in better or worse, but I do believe in balance. Personally I could never cut out red meat, I just enjoy it too much, but I don't have it all the time so it's not a big deal. I could probably do without turkey forever because I don't love it, but someone else might feel deprived without turkey, etc.

I think it's good to experiment, but I don't think it's good to cut out entire food groups. I'd find protein to be hard to get from a vegetarian diet, and too much baggage comes with vegetable protein sources.

Back to the bar...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Are you guys going to TSP july 2nd? we should go for burgers post workout! lol jk but looking forward to meeting you guys if you are...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:20 pm

heeell Yeah!!! I'm going to Wingate Park too

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

is that the same day? I don't know where Wingate is.. . I just got a job in NYC though so I'm looking to get some night sessions in soon at different parks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Disembowelment, great advice. Couldn't have said it better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 am

I think Wingate is located in the Bronx.? I could be wrong but I've heard no official word on where everyone is meeting at. If I'm driving 7 hours to New York, then I'm going to hit as many parks as I can. I'll be up there for 2 days.

Last year I trained at TSP and the one in Brooklyn. I'm excited to get back to the Mecca of Bars and shoot some good video... lol

See you soon!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 6:53 am

John i thought it was july 3rd not 2nd?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 am

Last time I spoke to Rick he said July 2nd. You know how things can change though? Remember last year at TSP at 10:30am and then that day it changed to Brooklyn at 4pm?

I hope as it gets closer we can set a definate day and time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 5:15 pm

True, guess we will see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you Gorilla Fit?   Are you Gorilla Fit? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you Gorilla Fit?
Page 1 of 1