Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

11 foot high bar construction.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duf

Duf

11 foot high bar construction. Empty
PostSubject: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 4:48 pm

A couple weeks ago I was annoyed that I haven't gotten a chance to use my gymnastic rings much at all. I have used them on my 8 foot pull up bar but mounting them on a bar that low really limits what you can do.

Since I already had made the pull up bar, a 2 foot jump station and parallel bars, I wasn't shy about adding a high bar to my outdoor bodyweight work out collection.

I decided to use the high point on my shed as one anchor point which is close to 11 feet high. Instead of utilizing pressure treated lumber I went the all pipe route this time using 1.25" inner diameter galvanized pipe from Lowes.

I attached two 6 foot sections and an 18 inch section together with couplers and then attached a 90 degree elbow at the top. I then attached a 5 foot section of pipe to the elbow and attached a flange on the other end.

The flange was screwed into a small piece of pressure treated 2"x6" attached to the top of the shed.

I dug down a little over 3 feet to bury the vertical section and back filled the hole with about 125 pounds of cement.

I just got finished a short while ago so I can't give a report on the success of the project until the cement has had time to cure.

You can see pictures of the construction here. Duf's High Bar

11 foot high bar construction. 284177_10150250957127841_504877840_7191455_850539_n
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
csaba

csaba

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 7:21 pm

awesome. let us know how sturdy it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 pm

NICE construction!!!

Well as i havent tried rings, duf does pull ups on them are more difficult? well dips looks much more difficult but i dont know for pull ups.

Also put a rope so u can climb!!! It will be fun and a nice workout i guess Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:33 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
NICE construction!!!

Well as i havent tried rings, duf does pull ups on them are more difficult? well dips looks much more difficult but i dont know for pull ups.

Also put a rope so u can climb!!! It will be fun and a nice workout i guess Smile

Yep pull ups feel tougher as well. A rope isn't a bad idea!
Back to top Go down
DNL

DNL

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Nice job! Good luck training with rings, they are sure great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm

One off topic question: If i use something like a belt to attach my dumbells to the pull up bar so i can have something to hang from like rings, do u think it will have about the same feeling with the rings? I just want to try to see the difference Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

csaba

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 am

awesome. looks sturdy. you have such a sweet setup!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 3:43 am

Very nice set up, looking forward to seeing some Muscle up and Flag training here. I wish I had this in my backyard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:21 am

Nice work Duf, try getting using the false grip on the rings for pull-ups (and dips...) from the start. It really works your wrists if you're not used to it (i've just got rings as well) but it'll help in the long run.

I think it's also the "correct" way of holding the rings for any move looking at all the youtube gymnastics videos. If, like me, you find yourself slipping round the ring when trying the false grip then try using chalk on your hands. Lastly, if you feel you want something to help support your wrists i've found that boxing wraps help a bit, they also help with the sliding too.

Enjoy the high bar Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:04 am

1stratos1 wrote:
One off topic question: If i use something like a belt to attach my dumbells to the pull up bar so i can have something to hang from like rings, do u think it will have about the same feeling with the rings? I just want to try to see the difference Very Happy

I don't think it would be the same plus it sounds very dangerous! Smile
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 am

Chrishurst wrote:
Very nice set up, looking forward to seeing some Muscle up and Flag training here. I wish I had this in my backyard.

I made my first ever flag attempt last night and got nowhere. Long road to travel for that one Smile
Back to top Go down
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:06 am

Tim wrote:
Nice work Duf, try getting using the false grip on the rings for pull-ups (and dips...) from the start. It really works your wrists if you're not used to it (i've just got rings as well) but it'll help in the long run.

I think it's also the "correct" way of holding the rings for any move looking at all the youtube gymnastics videos. If, like me, you find yourself slipping round the ring when trying the false grip then try using chalk on your hands. Lastly, if you feel you want something to help support your wrists i've found that boxing wraps help a bit, they also help with the sliding too.

Enjoy the high bar Smile
I knew about using the false grip for MU's on the rings but hadn't heard of doing it for dips? I'll give it a shot. Yea my rings can feel slippery, especially in Florida humidity. I have some chalk to take care of that. Thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 am

That's ok Smile It's not quite false grip for dips, but the ring should run along the same line on your hand rather than just being in the middle of your palm Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 9:11 am

1stratos1 wrote:

Stratos maybe this would be a good project for you?
Back to top Go down
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:18 am

Duf thnx for the video , i watched both parts.
Well when i come back for vacations maybe make both parallets and these? dunno i ll see later. BUT it sure looks a good project and sold rings Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:26 am

1stratos1 wrote:
Duf thnx for the video , i watched both parts.
Well when i come back for vacations maybe make both parallets and these? dunno i ll see later. BUT it sure looks a good project and sold rings Very Happy

Yep I have seen other people make rings out of PVC and they seem to work pretty well. Can't wait to see how it turns out if you do it.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11 foot high bar construction.   11 foot high bar construction. Empty

Back to top Go down

11 foot high bar construction.
Page 1 of 1