Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Workout at TSP with Al

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duf

Duf

Workout at TSP with Al Empty
PostSubject: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 pm

My wife and I made a quick stop at TSP (Tompkins Square Park) during our visit to NYC and had the good fortune of running into Al just as he was finishing up his workout.

Al was nice enough to spend some time working out with my wife and I as well as giving me some tips on getting that first elusive muscle up. We both really appreciated his time and it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Here is the footage from the session. Thanks again Al, I will get the first muscle up SOON. I love your attitude.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 11:18 pm

Wow real close Duf, good call by Al to start from the top position you were getting closer. At 2:33 you were there, you just have to lean forward more once you pull to your highest point. Just a matter of time/practice you will get it very soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:07 am

ahhh.. yes. You finally made it to TSP. Isn't it awesome to walk up on the grounds?

Every time I go there I never know who i'm gonna run into or what exercises I'll learn that day. truly a special place for all who love calisthenics. Keep up the good fight Duf. I know you're close to achieving your goal.

Wingate Park is my next crusade when I'm in NYC. (Home of champions)

Peace

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:57 am

Nice Duf, u are close to the muscle up.

Some tips from me that helped me. 1st dont try dead hang but have some small angle on ur elbows cause it will be easier, 2nd kip a bit and when u start pulling bring ur knees to ur chest, this will help u get higher. Also dont pull to the pull up bar but a bit further. 3rd as ironloo said try to lean forward, i was doing pull ups without leaning much forward but when i re-checked my form and starting leaning more forward then the form was much cleaner and was easier to do muscle ups!!!

BTW Al really look like a good guy and from the best personal trainers or someone to workout together!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken

Ken

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 am

I see you had a great time there, duf! Very Happy One thing I noticed was, that your hands are quite wide apart. For me that makes it harder to do a muscle-up, you can try a little bit close grip, that gave me some more power to get my muscle-up Smile. But everyones different so I can't really say if it'll work for you or not, try it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 7:48 am

Thanks all for the advice. Yep there are a few little things I need to tweak. I do think my hands are too wide as well Ken after watching this back.

Yes being at TSP was really special for me. Running into Al there was icing on the cake.
Back to top Go down
MegDanny

MegDanny

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:08 am

nice one duf!

but hey is it wrong if i do muscle up one hand at a time? left up first before right or vice versa?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/megatdanial
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 am

Its not "wrong" its a good way to start doing muscle ups. But the best is to do it both hands at the same time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MegDanny

MegDanny

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:33 am

1stratos1 wrote:
Its not "wrong" its a good way to start doing muscle ups. But the best is to do it both hands at the same time.

i cant get both of my hands yet.. :S
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/megatdanial
viligod

viligod

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Why you first grab bar and then try? Try to jump and fast turn your hands.. you try to learn muscle up hard way.. just make this easy mate.. Smile You can do it! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 pm

viligod wrote:
Why you first grab bar and then try? Try to jump and fast turn your hands.. you try to learn muscle up hard way.. just make this easy mate.. Smile You can do it! Smile

I can do a a muscle up if I jump into it but that isn't a muscle up. Smile

If you see the lower bar on the left in the video, I was able to jump into a muscle up on it pretty easily.
Back to top Go down
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:45 am

I think what wha viligod means is use more momentum, not refering to using the low bar.

I was able to get my first MU this way.

The way I thought about it was I was pulling away from the bar (body at an angle)and explosive rather than up like a pull up and slow.

just swinging on the bar helps you feel the angle. when you come back push you legs out (kicking out windows) and use your abs and pull away from the bar. Then when you're up high enough switch your elbows back and muscle it up into a press.

dammit duf just do it already so we all can stop talking about it. Smile

Best of Strength to you!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:21 am

Johnny 5 wrote:

I think what wha viligod means is use more momentum, not refering to using the low bar.

I was able to get my first MU this way.

The way I thought about it was I was pulling away from the bar (body at an angle)and explosive rather than up like a pull up and slow.

just swinging on the bar helps you feel the angle. when you come back push you legs out (kicking out windows) and use your abs and pull away from the bar. Then when you're up high enough switch your elbows back and muscle it up into a press.

dammit duf just do it already so we all can stop talking about it. Smile

Best of Strength to you!

Hehe ok Johnny I will, I will. Smile Working out with Al in person gave me even more motivation to do so.
Back to top Go down
Al_Kavadlo

Al_Kavadlo

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Duf - be sure to let us know once you get that first one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.AlKavadlo.com
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Al_Kavadlo wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Duf - be sure to let us know once you get that first one!

Hehe, you will see it on tape guaranteed when I do. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Workout at TSP with Al   Workout at TSP with Al Empty

Back to top Go down

Workout at TSP with Al
Page 1 of 1