Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pull up question?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stilkobg

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Recently i have heard that you have to pull you shoulderblades together while doing the pull up for engagin the back muscles more and protecting the shoulders, i have never before did this and my shoulders are really cracking when I do pull ups so ... Do you pull your shoulderblades together? And can the cracking come from not doing it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pilku

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYi3sbQFyFY&feature=player_embedded#!
this should answer the shoulders together part, for the cracking, I think you need to eat calcium and magnesium, tho in my experience the crackling is only in the beginning when the exercise is hard for you, tho I am not a professional, so I hope someone smarter than me explains it better and I hope the video helps you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stilkobg

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Didn't really help but thanks anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Okay First, You want to learn and continue to perect how to do a pull up. Number of reps is secondary. Form is primary.

If your back is rounding and you're not pulling with your lats, than you are going to use shoulder/rotator cuff muscles and brachialis(arms) to execute the exercise. Always engage the scapulas and don't let them disengage at the bottom. Doing so helps protect the shoulder joint and like the video shows could allow for unneccessary extension of the neck. (Nerve pinching)

Keep the upper back pulled back (engaged). not rounded and pulling with arms and shoulders. In other words, Imagine bringing your elbows back and towards your side. practice up against the wall raising and lowering your arms with your shoulders pulled back (wall angels)

The cracking is probably due to the joint irritation or the tendons snapping over the joint. in either case it's not good to continue doing the same movements. long term irritation could lead to irreversible damage and unneccesary complications.

post a video of your pul ups

Best of Strength to you ~

Back to top Go down
View user profile
stilkobg

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 am

Yesterday I did a few sets doing pull ups with my shoulderblades pulled together and guess what my shoulders didn't crack Very Happy and my back got sore from pull ups for the first time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 am

That's good news!

The cracking may come and go, Once the irritation subsides (this may take 6- 8weeks, less if you're younger) you should be out of the woods. but keep trying to perfect and master the pull up technique.

Best of strength to you ~

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

Pull up question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pull up question?   Pull up question? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pull up question?
Page 1 of 1