Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help on pull up number

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NastyStrength

Help on pull up number Empty
PostSubject: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 am

I've been doing pullups for about a year or so & i was improving fast for the 1st few months ( from 0 - 12 ) , however, after i reached 12 pullups , i seem to have reached a plateau and didnt improve for a couple of months already. After reading some threads here, i guess my problem is doing max no. of pullups every training. I want to improve my number of pullups wat suggestions do you guys have for me? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vienceslav

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:02 am

try adding weight either buy a weighted vest or simply use a backpack.
try doing 3x8 pull ups with max weight on the first set remove a bit on the second and the third with only your body weight.
this should help you improve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 6:05 am

Rather than trying to hit max numbers each time try varying the routine by adding either pyramids or density training in. Both of them use lower numbers of reps with short rest times (10-20s) to build up your endurance.

Pyramids you do
1 rep, rest, 2 reps, rest, 3 reps, etc up to a certain number then back down to 1 rep.
If you did a 1-5-1 this would give you 25 reps, just keep the rest short.
(1-10-1 = 100, 2-10-2 (only even numbers) = 50reps - just a 1-5-1 doubled)

Density
Take a quarter to half of your max reps then repeat for 10 sets with little rest.

So you might try 3 reps with 10s rest between each set. This would give you 30 reps.

If it's too easy, either shorten the rest time or increase the reps,

If it's too hard, either lengthen the rest time or decrease the reps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:47 am

hmm the alternative looks like an option. ill try to implement it in my future workouts instead of doing max x 1set lol. thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistakenshyness

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:06 am

I personally find that strength progressions are helping boost my endurance better than actually training for endurance has been, no harm in adding weights or working toward one arm chin up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:48 am

Hey guys, i dont get this thing about Strength and Endurance. Whats the definition of Strength and Endurance & whats the difference between two of them. & how do we train for both of them? according to my understanding there is a different way u can train for Strength and Endurance. How will strength help me & how will endurance help me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 am

Strength is about how much you can pull - a strength progression would be say 10 sets of max reps with a 20kg weight vest.

Endurance is about how many reps you can do, eg dip drop sets starting at 45 reps and dropping by 5 each set.

Though they help you in both aspects they tend to focus more on one side or the other.

There are also things like Max reps with weight vest then max reps without, no rest in between, which helps both Strength and Endurance Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am

ohhh ok thats interesting. then if i would like to increase the number of pullups i can do in a row(without weights just my bodyweight) , i guess training for endurance would be more suitable for me am i right? Then if i would like to train for endurance, then how would i go upon doing it?

my current training setup is this

- Pullup 3repsx10sets 10seconds rest between sets
- Pushup 2x4x6x8x6x4x2 no rest
- Dips 5repsx4sets 20seconds rest between sets

Is this ok? or would it be preferable dat i switched my routine every here and there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 am

A mix would be good anyway, but doing something like

10sets of 4 with 10seconds rest between each set

would probably be a good way.

You might try something like the following for a workout (adjust either add or take 1-2 reps if you find it too easy/hard.)

10x 3 normal pull-ups 10sec rest
2.5 min rest
10x 2 close grip pull-ups 10sec rest
2.5 min rest
Repeat two more times

5 x 10 press-ups 10 sec rest
2.5 mins rest
Repeat two more times

See how that goes Smile

Another way of increasing endurance is by adding static holds. So try something like 3 sets of 5 pull-ups, hold at the top for 2 seconds and half way coming down for 2 seconds, finally at the bottom for 2 seconds.

Increase the holding time to 5 secs and then increase the reps/add extra weight Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:08 am

ok i guess ill go along with ur suggestion. thanks for suggesting a feasible workout for me. u have been really helpful =D. enough talk about me, how bout u? wats ur current goals or stats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help on pull up number   Help on pull up number Empty

Back to top Go down

Help on pull up number
Page 1 of 1