Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Duf

Duf

Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today Empty
PostSubject: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 3:18 pm

I did it at the gym, three times on different "bars". The funny thing is how I did it.

Those of you that know me know I have been trying to get a muscle up for at least two years. Despite my best efforts I never have pulled it off despite getting very close a few times. I just have always had a hell of a time getting my legs to work with my body properly to help propel me around the bar.

Well at the gym there is limited bar space. I actually wound up pulling on a cross support of a smith machine. My hands were close together, only 8-9 inches apart and I was using a false grip, draping my wrists over the support.

I pulled slowly and got high enough to do a one hand at a time muscle up! No kip, no swing, just power with a narrow grip to boot.

It definitely is not the textbook way your first muscle up is supposed to go but I'll take it.

I'll be trying the same move at home this weekend with video rolling of course.

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
MarineMotivatedMe

MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 12:32 am

great stuff man! glad to hear it. keep training hard. -eddie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 2:57 am

thats great to hear dat ure finally able to do a muscle up after 2 years. thats alot of determination huh. I just did my 1st sequential muscle up recently (going up with 1 hand 1st), and im still working towards doing 1, i guess its a matter of technique now. haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 6:06 am

MarineMotivatedMe wrote:
great stuff man! glad to hear it. keep training hard. -eddie

Thanks bud!
Back to top Go down
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:54 am

Awesome Duf, i knew you were going to get it real soon that's great news. Best feeling once on top of the bar right, now even if you can't rep it do sets of singles to keep the motion fresh in your head so you understand it and you will get those repping in no time.Looking forward to the video.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:14 am

ironloo wrote:
Awesome Duf, i knew you were going to get it real soon that's great news. Best feeling once on top of the bar right, now even if you can't rep it do sets of singles to keep the motion fresh in your head so you understand it and you will get those repping in no time.Looking forward to the video.

Like i said, I think everyone will be surprised what it looks like. It seems like I am going in reverse order, power MU first and then kip Smile
Back to top Go down
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 am

That's great Sean!

The funny thing is That's where I got my first one at at the gym too. Not very comfortable and a really narrow space to fit through.

Sounds like your on the right road.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Great work mate Smile I know you've been working hard on them!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djaponezu

djaponezu

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 am

Oh, yes, I know you and I knew it was just a matter of days or weeks until you could do your first MU.
I'd say it's that hour training in NYC with Al Kavadlo that gave you the moral strength to succeed. It was all you needed to do a MU, 'cause physically you were above the average reqs.
Now that you described it I imagine what it looks like but I just can't wait to see it on video.
Doing it first part slow makes it closer to the real power MU. Most people's first MU is explosive from the very beginning. I guess explosion in your pull up is easier to get when you're a teenager or in your 20's. For those who start bar training in their 40's it's power that comes first, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Show us the video, Shawn, great work once again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 7:56 am

djaponezu wrote:
Oh, yes, I know you and I knew it was just a matter of days or weeks until you could do your first MU.
I'd say it's that hour training in NYC with Al Kavadlo that gave you the moral strength to succeed. It was all you needed to do a MU, 'cause physically you were above the average reqs.
Now that you described it I imagine what it looks like but I just can't wait to see it on video.
Doing it first part slow makes it closer to the real power MU. Most people's first MU is explosive from the very beginning. I guess explosion in your pull up is easier to get when you're a teenager or in your 20's. For those who start bar training in their 40's it's power that comes first, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Show us the video, Shawn, great work once again!

Yea working with Al really did help with motivation along with all of the support I get on here. I will be heading outside today to prove it wasn't a fluke and that I can do it on a "real" bar. Smile
Back to top Go down
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am

congrats duf. like the others hav said, try doing muscle ups daily so that u wont forget the feel of the movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 1:19 pm

As promised, first muscle up on VIDEO. It's pretty bizarre that my first muscle up would be no momentum, close grip, false grip varieties but I'll take it however I can get it.

Now that I can do this it will allow me to work some of the bugs out. A big thanks to everyone on the forums that offered me encouragement and tips!! It is very much appreciated.

Back to top Go down
MarineMotivatedMe

MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 2:36 pm

That was killer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
djaponezu

djaponezu

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Great job, Shawn! Now I just can't wait to see your progression over the next few months. Doing a slow MU as your FIRST MU is such an unusual progression in mastering this skill. I hope I'll join you pretty soon and upload my first, which will also be slow, with a tiny kip to get past the transition. Incitefitness from the UK has just posted new tutorials of the kipped MU. I hope I can get to that someday but, in the meantime, I'm OK with the slow version. Now let's hone the skill!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Nice work Duf! Keep it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:40 pm

CHECK IT OUT!! Smile

Back to top Go down
MarineMotivatedMe

MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 pm

duf wrote:
CHECK IT OUT!! Smile

that was beautiful!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

csaba

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 am

congrats duf! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:05 am

csaba wrote:
congrats duf! cheers

Thanks bud, the lightbulb is officially turned on. Wink
Back to top Go down
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Congratulations DUF!!!! Go for massive numbers now Razz and try different grips like wide narrow , let underhand grip for later Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

1stratos1 wrote:
Congratulations DUF!!!! Go for massive numbers now Razz and try different grips like wide narrow , let underhand grip for later Razz

Yea I think a narrow grip variation will come pretty easily.
Back to top Go down
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 12:58 pm

good work! I think you could have got 1 or 2 more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Johnny 5 wrote:

good work! I think you could have got 1 or 2 more.

Thanks dude, yea trying to string them together will be the next goal. (got 4 more singles at the gym today) Wink
Back to top Go down
Sosna

Sosna

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Awesome Duf! That's real dedication Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

Duf

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

Upped the ante by stringing together two sets of three. My muscles were a bit on the tired side, need to make sure I don't overdo it right away but damn it's fun to be able to do a movement after trying for so long. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today   Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today Empty

Back to top Go down

Stoked like you can not believe, first muscle up today
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next