Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Alternative to inverted rows?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sepples

Alternative to inverted rows? Empty
PostSubject: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:01 am

I am having trouble doing inverted rows as I am not strong enough to keep my legs in the air and I don't have anything to rest my legs on. Does any body know any good alternatives that I can do until I am stronger?
Back to top Go down
mgraham404

mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:49 pm

You could do one armed door frame rows... but even that isn't a challenge. You could just do pull-ups or negatives if you can't do pull-ups yet. I can't really think of anything to do that is just bodyweight work. You could always just find a cinder block or something like that, bend over at the hips, and then perform rows with the cinder block (or dumbbells or barbells). Honestly though, if you want to do inverted rows, I'd just keep looking and be creative. There has to be somewhere that you can do them. Are there any monkey bars around? If you're doing it in your house, use a chair to put your feet on. Anything that will work.
Back to top Go down
sepples

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Yeah, I can do pullups with a chair under me. But I want to do rows in addition to the pullups. Unless I am mistaken they work different muscles.
Back to top Go down
mgraham404

mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 3:25 pm

They don't work different muscles, but the inverted row hits more muscles than a pull-up. A great website to check this out is www.exrx.net For example:
Inverted Row:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BWSupineRow.html
Pull Up:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/BWPullup.html

Where do you normally workout? Is it at home, a park, where?
Back to top Go down
sepples

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 3:33 pm

I work out at home and occasionally at my school's gym. I have a chinup bar on my door frame and I use that. Since I can only do about pullup reps 3 reps (more if I use neutral grip), I use a chair to support my weight when doing chinups. However, when I try to do inverted rows I have nothing to rest my feet on. my core isn't strong enough to hold my feet up for the row.
Back to top Go down
mgraham404

mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Alright, try this then. Put the chair that you were talking about earlier to a point where the back of the chair is right around where your feet would be if you were in the inverted row position. Throw some books or weights on the seat of the chair to keep it in position. Grab a hold of the pull-up bar, and then start to put your feet on the chair. It's not perfect, but it's a start. That's what I started with. I've actually got a shelf system in my walk-in closet that I can put my feet on now, but when I first started I was using the chair method. Try that and see if it works for you.
Back to top Go down
sepples

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 3:42 pm

ok thanks, ill try it out
Back to top Go down
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm

idk, couldn't you just keep your knees bent instead of straight when performing the row? Or get a couple of bath towels and hang onto those to adjust the height of the bar or exercise to make it easier?
Back to top Go down
sepples

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 pm

not strong enough
Back to top Go down
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 8:22 am

sepples, when u mention keeping ur legs off the floor, are you trying to do a row without your feet touching the floor?

if so, u seem to be attempting a front lever pullup, which wouldnt be the easiest thing to do.

i'd agree with graham n johnny, either put a chair for your feet, or lower the grabbing part of the bar, using towels etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative to inverted rows?   Alternative to inverted rows? Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternative to inverted rows?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bar-barians :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: