Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calisthenics & Gyming

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NastyStrength

Calisthenics & Gyming Empty
PostSubject: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 3:42 am

Hey guys, i was wondering if i could incoporate some gym sessions into my weekly workout. I will still be focusing more on calisthenics, but i'm using the gym to gain more mass, maybe one or two gym sessions every week. Is that even feasible? Or will they backfire instead?

I was already doing both calisthenics and gym last time, focusing more on gym, untill recently where i focused more on calisthenics. I came across this vid which made me thought of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWylmdwnMDc&feature=feedf

Any suggestions or opinions on this issue?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:45 am

As long as u don't overstrain (different from overtraining btw) yourself, i dont think theres any issue. gym stuff such as squats, deadlifts are very good as well.

If you're aiming for mass, then i suppose slightly higher reps, lower weight will be your training focus? (10-12 range)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 8:31 am

yeah then i guess ill go ahead and do that. but anyone knows of the disadvantage & advantage of mixing the two of them together?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:23 pm

In my opinion there is none. I go to the gym and do calisthenics and it works great for me. Overall I do a bit more calisthenics but it works great for mass and strength. For instance my bench is going up 5 pounds every week or so
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 pm

NastyStrength wrote:
yeah then i guess ill go ahead and do that. but anyone knows of the disadvantage & advantage of mixing the two of them together?

It really depends on what your aims are and what exercises you actually do.

If you want to achieve say muscle-ups, then going to the gym is going to be a disadvantage as you're spending less time working on muscle-ups and consequently you'll going to not progress as quickly.

If you want to achieve raw mass, then it may be better to go to the gym over the bar...

However things like front lever can be improved by going to the gym as you can do certain supportive exercises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 3:58 am

Tim wrote:
NastyStrength wrote:

It really depends on what your aims are and what exercises you actually do.

If you want to achieve say muscle-ups, then going to the gym is going to be a disadvantage as you're spending less time working on muscle-ups and consequently you'll going to not progress as quickly.

If you want to achieve raw mass, then it may be better to go to the gym over the bar...

However things like front lever can be improved by going to the gym as you can do certain supportive exercises.

yeah ill ponder over this before deciding whether to mix or to focus only on calisthenics. thx for pointing this out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 7:29 am

if u are able to, i would suggest doing both. both have their pros and cons, so a mixture would be beneficial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 am

I do both. There isn't any dogma I subscribe to in my training. I believe just like everything else, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

My training ebbs and flows between calisthenics and weighted gym movements. Some weighted gym movements are more controversial than others. for example. The seated leg press. To me this is a Ridiculous exercise that serves no purpose other than to fluff your ego and set yourself up for a bulging disc. How many times are you ever going to perfom that movement in real life?

Now other exercises like the deadlift and front squats are superior because of the application carry over to real life.

Find out what you like to do and find out which exercises serve to get more benefit from the gym and vice versa.

The video below should tell you something right away about the Leg press exercise. First, do these guys look to you like they are capable of leg pressing 1000 + lbs even 2000 lbs? something has to be wrong. I'm sorry. I appreciate older people working out, but he's using this inflated bogus exercise to boast about his doctrine.

I'm not a mechanical engineer to know what types of leverage advantage that position gives somebody but I know it has to help, or more importantly hurt you. Secondly, Is that Doctor the guy you want to be taking health advice from? I'm just sayin

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calisthenics & Gyming   Calisthenics & Gyming Empty

Back to top Go down

Calisthenics & Gyming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: