Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are the muscles "blind"?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G@lvo

Are the muscles "blind"? Empty
PostSubject: Are the muscles "blind"?   Are the muscles "blind"? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 6:21 pm

I have some experience with weights... I always worked out with barbells, and recently I got used to bodyweight exercises.
I had some results with both of them.
Yesterday I trained with a friend of mine, using only resistance bands... I have to say that I NEVER experienced such a good workout in terms of intensity, plus I think it's easier on my joints..
So that fact set a question in my mind.. and the question is: are our muscles blind?
If I had to add muscle mass, is it different if for example I bench 100 kg with barbells, 100 kg with dumbells and 100 kg with resistance bands for the same number of reps?
Tell me what you think guys!
Back to top Go down
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: Are the muscles "blind"?   Are the muscles "blind"? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Wow, great question!

I always thought (and this is based on nothing but the opinion formed by my own little warped mind!) that the gradual ease into and ease out of the rep that you get from the resistance bands would mean that the shock to the muscle would be lower (and hence also be easier on your joints) but that the downside of that would be that the shock to your muscles, and thus the stimulation to re-build bigger, would be less.

I sort of see it as a curve - with a gradual start and finish like this one for resistance bands and one which is more "square" for heavy weights. (I hope that makes sense!).

Anyhow - just my opinion - definitely interested in what others think about this - it's an interesting question.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bar-barella.com
jimsiff

jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: Are the muscles "blind"?   Are the muscles "blind"? EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 9:01 pm

The training response you get from barbells, dumbbells and resistance bands are all a bit different. They can each be used for an effective workout independently, or combined in various ways to enhance your workout.

With the barbell, you don't need to use as many stabilizers as with dumbbells but you can generally go heavier.

With dumbbells, you can't necessarily go quite as heavy, but you have to stabilize the weight with each arm independently, so you hit the muscles differently.

With resistance bands, the resistance progressively increases as the band stretches, allowing you to emphasize heavy loads near lock-out. They also load the joints differently than barbells or dumbbells because you're not lifting or holding up physical weight. For instance, using a resistance band for a chopping or twisting motion allow you to load your muscles and joints heavier relative to the lateral movement pattern without the vertical loading involved with holding up a physical weight. That's not necessarily better or worse, just different... and can be more or less applicable depending on the individual's needs. Resistance bands can also put less strain on joints due to the lower physical mass involved in the movements.

The barbell, dumbbell and resistance bands are just some of the tools available for strength training. What you use and how you use it should be primarily determined by what's easily available to you combined with your personal goals.
Back to top Go down
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Are the muscles "blind"?   Are the muscles "blind"? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 am

Cool, thanks for the clear explanation!
I think I'll incorporate bands in my workouts!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are the muscles "blind"?   Are the muscles "blind"? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are the muscles "blind"?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bar-barians :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: