Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The British Thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
naishyboy

naishyboy

The British Thread. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi everyone, i'm based largely in Central london not too far away from Primrose Hill park. Also i'm up in Harrogate now and again in North Yorkshire.

Loving all the info on here and the enthusiasm.

I'll be heading up to Primrose when im back in London later this month so hope to see some people up there.

been on this 16/8 intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks now and loving it! loads more energy and can eat alot in the evening which i love. combining it all with bodyweight training and a bit of kettlebell swings and snatches is what works for me.

cheers
Ryan
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fitnesswins.net
naishyboy

naishyboy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 pm

i randomly bought a set of chain mail armour when i was out shopping a few weeks ago!

awesome weighted vest, sits on the body a treat without being too bulky...need to wear a tshirt underneath or it pinches the skin, get the viking helmet on and it tops it off a treat haha Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fitnesswins.net
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Im 5ft 9 (small.. lol) and fluctuating from 11 stone to 11.3 stone so around 154-158 pounds

Fits me great not sure for females because of the obvious and different body frames to men
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob999

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 am

Just sticking my nose in to say hello. Based in Wales at the mo

Rob
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 6:19 am

Welcome Wink

Whereabouts in Wales are you? I'm in Bangor in a few weeks - gonna have to find some bars to train on!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Rob999

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm much further South and there's nothing here! Early days for me so will look like a numpty against seasoned skilled peeps anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Rob999 wrote:
so will look like a numpty against seasoned skilled peeps anyway Smile

Never forget that everyone starts form the same place...
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Fi wrote:
Rob999 wrote:
so will look like a numpty against seasoned skilled peeps anyway Smile

Never forget that everyone starts form the same place...

And we're all friendly and helpful :-D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Tim wrote:

Speak for yourself Smile

How's life with you? Got any plans to come down South soon? There is talk of a BB's seminar in Manchester in November, plus Anton's talking about a BBQ sometime.

After spending the day debating whether to train (got a heavy one at Primrose tomorrow) I think I might just cycle up to the park and have a mess about for a while. It's either that or more sunbathing, and I'm not sure I can handle that!
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Fi wrote:
Tim wrote:

Speak for yourself Smile

Haha, well some of us are :-P

I'm good thanks, enjoying the nice weather atm, just about to do a work out. 5x 25 dips, 12 pulls (in 3 mins, 2 min rest) cut down a tree branch and do the buyout ;-)

Enjoy your cycling/sunbathing!

I'll try and go to the Manchester one, just hope it's not gonna fall on either of the two weekends I'm already away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah hopefully Lee will confirm the date soon. Looking forward to it already!

That sounds like a good workout. Not sure I could do 25 dips and 12 pull-ups in three minutes... Focussing on the MU at the moment - gonna cycle to the park and do some negatives and try and sort out my kip a bit. (Have realised that the whole pull/bring knees up then kick legs out/roll-over bar thing is probably quite a key element, since it will help with the momentum and timing).

Anyhow, enjoy your workout too!
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Fi wrote:
Yeah hopefully Lee will confirm the date soon. Looking forward to it already!

That sounds like a good workout. Not sure I could do 25 dips and 12 pull-ups in three minutes... Focussing on the MU at the moment - gonna cycle to the park and do some negatives and try and sort out my kip a bit. (Have realised that the whole pull/bring knees up then kick legs out/roll-over bar thing is probably quite a key element, since it will help with the momentum and timing).

Anyhow, enjoy your workout too!

It's a bit of a bastardized version of the '20/10/25 ray's way' workout that's going around atm. Knackered my wrist playing football so no press-ups atm. Today was the first time doing 25/12 I thought I ought to step it up after doing 20/10 without breaking sets and in 90s or less each round! Managed first 2 without breaking the sets in 70s and 80s. The fifth set however went over the 3 min mark in order to get the last 3 pull-ups.... arms were seriously pumped!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 4:56 pm

That does sound like an awesome routine. Once I've got this pesky muscle-up then I've decided I will start working on some endurance. I'm thinking 2/3rds of the BBR's is an acceptable level for a female - 3 MUs, 36 push-ups, 30 dips, 17 pull-ups, 3 MUs. Although typing that makes me think I'd be an idiot to even think about it!

Anyhow, got a question for you guys...

My trip to the park was actually quite successful in that a) I didn't get run over on the way (10km cycle along main roads full of sunshine-seeking weekend drivers!) b) I kept the session short so am not exhausted and c) I had some success on the muscle up front...

I'd spent the past few days really trying to visualise the movement, and figure out what I needed to do to get over the bar. I decided on two routes of attack: the kip to get momentum to get over and focusing more on getting my upper body over the bar once I'm up.

So today I did some light sets to warm up, jumped up on the bar and did the kip thing that I had in mind (basically what everyone does - they bring their knees up on the way up, and then kick them out to get higher). It worked perfectly first time - went flying up! However, all that happened is that I flung my elbows over the bar, then got stuck with my elbows over but the rest of me too low to have any leverage to pull myself up.

What am I doing wrong? What should I focus on? I'm kind of scared to force my grip over and push my elbows up - do I need to overcome that? (Like the fear of doing Russian dips). Should I look at a swing as well as a kip to get that C-shaped thing around the bar?

Help?! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sosna

Sosna

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Here's something I posted a while back which has some relevance and very good video.

"I would say keep training the basics like you are doing and try to increase your numbers over the next few weeks and months. While doing that, watch loads of videos about them on youtube and really try and understand how it works. The main thing I struggled with at first was the idea of going round the bar. I was trying to pull straight up and go over (which won't happen unless you are really strong). So technique and timing of your Kip is crucial to achieving it for the first time. Your body should travel in a "C" shame round the bar, not an "I" which people think when they start.

As far as specific training goes try slow eccentric Muscle-ups (negatives) and as you have previously mentioned pull-ups till your chest touches the bar.

This video here is especially good at explaining the kip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozSt3VtE2mk&feature=plcp

I think to be honest you should do anything you can to get your muscle-up for the first time, because once you get it your body quickly realises the movement pattern."

Another thing I would try is looping a light band over the bar then standing in it for an assisted muscle-up. This should get rid of you fear of going up and over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 4:59 am

Fi wrote:
That does sound like an awesome routine. Once I've got this pesky muscle-up then I've decided I will start working on some endurance. I'm thinking 2/3rds of the BBR's is an acceptable level for a female - 3 MUs, 36 push-ups, 30 dips, 17 pull-ups, 3 MUs. Although typing that makes me think I'd be an idiot to even think about it!
Slacker Wink Go for the full reqs and be the first girl with wings Wink

Congrats on not getting run over too! Wink

I find the muscle-up to be the hardest exercise to explain over the internet, yet considerably easier in person. Normally it's the technique that's wrong with someone's muscle-up attempt as opposed to a lack of strength or anything. If you can try and meet up with jay/sai/lee or anyone really that can already do them and get them to watch your attempts.

You can break the M-up down in to two parts, the pull and the push.
The pull needs to be explosive, and as you've already pointed out you're aiming for that C shape, as you're trying to go around the bar, not through it (this is the point that most peoples technique fails them.)
To get the explosiveness, practicing with weights is good as well as trying to go from dead hang and just pull as high as you can.

To get the C take a step or two before you jump up on the bar so you get a bit of forward momentum. When you swing back, just before you hit the appex pull-up. I don't think that kipping really helps that much as you can end up messing the C shape which will stop you from going up.

With the push, practice straight bar dips and try to get as low as possible. Try to actually rest your chest on the bar as this is a good place to end up after you've pulled up.

Then as Sosna says, negatives and band assisted are great methods too Smile Good luck!

I'd spent the past few days really trying to visualise the movement, and figure out what I needed to do to get over the bar. I decided on two routes of attack: the kip to get momentum to get over and focusing more on getting my upper body over the bar once I'm up.

So today I did some light sets to warm up, jumped up on the bar and did the kip thing that I had in mind (basically what everyone does - they bring their knees up on the way up, and then kick them out to get higher). It worked perfectly first time - went flying up! However, all that happened is that I flung my elbows over the bar, then got stuck with my elbows over but the rest of me too low to have any leverage to pull myself up.

What am I doing wrong? What should I focus on? I'm kind of scared to force my grip over and push my elbows up - do I need to overcome that? (Like the fear of doing Russian dips). Should I look at a swing as well as a kip to get that C-shaped thing around the bar?

Help?! Wink
[/quote]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:42 am

Cool - thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure it's a C-shape related technique issue... I can definitely get up - with the explosive pull and the kip I just go straight up, throw my arms over and get stuck. I think today I'll focus on swinging underneath and trying to time the kip with the swing.

Jay, Sai and Lee are all gonna be at the park later, plus Miguel and the rest of the guys, so I will have plenty of people to ask for advice Smile
Back to top Go down
wyard

PostSubject: hi there   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Hey i stumbled across this thread earlier today.

Having failed to make any good gains in a regular gym i started doing calisthenics a couple of months ago....in those two months ive become more shredded and made more muscular gains than i ever did at a regular gym. Im moving to london on saturday...any bb crews around to meet up with and get advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Nice! I quit my gym too and have made more gains doing bar and bodyweight stuff then I ever thought possible, and still feel like I'm nowhere near my potential yet.

Shame you didn't move down last Saturday as we had an epic meetup at Primrose Hill workout park today (the usual localtion for weekly training sessions). All three UK BB's were there, and about 20 other people. Good fun. Photo on the UK Bar Community page (worth joining, along with the Primrose Hill one for updates on weekend training and so on).

Where abouts are you moving to?
Back to top Go down
wyard

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:40 pm

im going to be in clerkenwell am moving to london to do some postgraduate study stuff lol! Cool looks like primrose hill is where its at....near regents park right? can get there pretty easily!

Are there many beginners who go along?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh nice location - that's ace.

And yes - totally mixed ability. Some relative beginners (I'd say all are able to do 5+ pull-ups though) and some total experts.

Quite a few of us train during the week though, so you'd more than likely meet someone if you went after work too.
Back to top Go down
wyard

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 6:52 pm

yea lool was lucky to get student accomm. so pretty central....i like to train most days so yea hopefully meet some people!

Cool sounds like i should be fine then ive done a lot of martial arts so am not too bad with the basics push ups pull ups etc but, id never even heard of a muscle up until a few weeks ago...there was me thinking a heavy bench press showed strength!

looking forward to meeting some new people and to get the most out of myself....plus training outside will be a new, cool experience!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 4:03 pm

Evening Guys!

Great to see more people joining the forums and especially our thread.

Just been out and done a session, just pull ups and dips tonight. Work is killing me and I really can't get motivated or get the energy to do a full session, so I'm doing pull ups and dips one day, then push ups and static holds or another form of pull ups the next for a two day split. With leg raises and squats etc too but those are the main base exercises. I'll carry on for a month or so til I get used to training after work then up my progressions or merge the two sessions etc.

I've seen one before, but does anyone know of a good article explaining how calisthenics/strength training is great for fat burning? I can't seem to find the one I read :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:30 pm

I don't have one to hand, but this one explains things clearly enough in my eyes. Basically: building bigger muscles means an increased metabolism which results in burning more fat.

I think the more important thing when using strength training with a weight-loss diet is the body recomposition element. Although you can slightly change your physique with cardio, it pales into insignificance compared to strength.

I would say that the main difference with cali vs. weights is that it builds a more "in proportion" body. None of the guys and gals I've met who train purely cali have ugly bodies, but lots and lots (and lots and lots) of guys who use weights do. Even the ones that do cali too. Giant traps, weird shaped lats, necks like bulldgos, big puffy shoulders. I'm pretty sure they think they look "awesome brah" though Wink
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Cheers Fi, pretty much what I was looking for.

Managing to stick with my evening sessions so far but I'm constantly tired, and not just the "Oh I've been at work so I'm tired." It's the sort of tired where I'm constantly out of focus and just drifting round and getting through the day. It sucks to be honest but I'll get used to it and eventually things will settle down.

How's everyone getting on? Been a little quiet here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm sure you'll get used to it. Are you still eating well/enough?

All good with me and my training, although I've only hit the bars once this week, and gone for two runs. Been feeling pretty knackered.

Had a good weekend last weekend though - got bruises on my arms from getting over the bar in my muscle up practise, so hopefully I'm only a month or so away from getting that.

Off to Primrose tomorrow for the usual session - will have to make it count to make up for the lack of training this week!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next