Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The British Thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
G.V

The British Thread. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:28 pm

Hey G.V here originally from Birmingham but now currently mainly living in Tidworth. I hope in the future I can meet up with all/some of you guys that is once I've achieved some personal goals and improved my standard from beginner which I was I'm currently at.

Went for a steady run this morning then came back and done a quick workout but my right shoulder is giving me really bad problems for some reason, been getting back into for the last week maybe two but now I may need to rest it.

Well that my little intro hope I can be all the help and as much as a friend as I can be and that I can build bridges here aswell as give and take all knowledge along the way. it's now or never.

Signed up yesterday was just nosing around to be honest decided to post today FI read quite a bit of your blog its interesting big thumbs up.

G.V~
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Just been there on my bmx and it kicked my arse literally lol. It's 3.25 miles to get there, so I rode 6.5 miles (there and back). When the wind is against you and you'e going so slow it feels depressing ahaha. Not to mention my bmx is the size of a kid's bike! My dad thinks I'm stupid.

Anyway, the park was there!!! It had monkey bars AND a dip bar. This is perfect. I get to get my cardio in (which I'm lacking) and do calisthenics now. The only negative thing is that the bar is about my head height so I have to bend my legs back. It's still possible to do proper clean muscle-ups but they won't look as nice/aesthetic since I can't have my legs straight. Oh well, can't have it all!

I recorded quite a few videos so stay tuned! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:42 am

I found another park! bounce I was only going on a bike ride because I'm addicted to it now. I had DOMS in my upper body from yesterday so I shouldn't have done anything...until I saw this park. I had to do something.

It was RIGHT next to the one I found yesterday. They're hogging them all it seems. Still 3 miles away but slightly closer than the other one.

This one is actually better though - the bar is high enough so my legs can hang straight.

Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 pm

No monkey bars around near me, shame because its the best equipment for a kid in the playground.. Laughing

Still a bar in my garden is good enough, along with some dips bars I'm adding in cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 6:35 pm

I wish I could build a monkey bar at home. It'd be awesome.

As for dip bars, I have to do all my dips between 2 chairs!

---

Earlier, I recorded a video of the "ideal" calisthenic muscle-up. I made a channel specifically for uploading my "end results". E.g. I'll only upload moves that I've mastered. My other account (user/reincarnate100) will be for random training stuff

I tried to be as perfect as possible. Technically it isn't perfect "gymnastically", but I think this is what us calisthenics people strive for. Now I have to work on doing 5 reps at once.

Let me know what you think!
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 pm

It doesn't have to be gymnastically correct because our sport or way of exercising came from the streets.

The muscle-up you have shown in your video is perfect form mate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 5:06 pm

I love my life at times.

Started my apprenticeship today and absolutely loved it. The work is heavy enough that it keeps you going through the day so time flies, but light enough that you can go grab a coffee whenever you like and drink while you work. The guys I work with are awesome. Only me and two others in the workshop and we're a street or two away from the main warehouse and head office on the industrial estate so we're sort of left alone by the managers etc.

However, I came off my bike on the way home. Hit the back brake in the wet and the rear end went, let off the brake and throttle, grabbed the clutch and just high sided into a ditch and ended up under the bike.

My right shoulder absolutely kills, both shins kill and have swollen quite severely and my right forearm is in agony.

Means no training til at least Monday, and then I'll reassess and see how I've healed.

Still going into work tomorrow, bike is off the road with bent bars and snapped brake lever etc so mum will take me, although she said she may take me in to see my manager and explain and then take me off to hospital (where she works, ironically.) She said from how I've described the pain that it doesn't sound worth a trip to hospital tonight but we'll see how I am tomorrow.

I've made awesome progress lately going from no pull ups to eleven in six weeks, and from no dips to 19 in the same time and now a lot of that will be undone :/

Still, at least I'll never forget my first day at work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks for the comments on the blog G.V! I've been thinking I need to make it more fun and that I always come across as really smug-sounding, but nice to hear it's appreciated Smile

I can't believe you came off your bike Chris!!! That sucks on your first day. Hopefully it's just some bruising and nothing too serious... How does it feel today? If it's badly injured maybe I'll have a chance to catch up with you on the pull ups Wink Second round tonight and actually I'm realising that it is going to push me more than my normal routine. Quite excited to get to the end of the cycle now and see what my max reps are - can't wait to get it over 10!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm not too bad thanks Fi, got a few aches and pains but nothing broken or anything. Should be able to train tomorrow so I'll just do some general sets to see how I get on, then do a max Monday and see which cycle to go from. Shouldn't have lost too much cos I trained Monday, missed yesterday and will do some stuff tomorrow so technically I only missed one session.

I'm part of a bike club in Bury St Edmunds cleverly called the B.S.E. Mad Cows (Trust my Godfather to come up with that) and right now I love the guys there. Once I'd got my Dad out to pick me up last night I tried calling one of the guys to borrow his bike trailer, in twenty minutes it escalated from asking for a bike trailer to having 4 club members throwing the bike in the back of a pick up to get it back, replacement bars as I bent them in the accident and a new brake lever which snapped. I also had phone calls and messages from countless other members to see if I was okay and how they could help.

I came off the bike about 5.45pm yesterday evening, by 7pm it was back at dad's and I've already picked it up and brought it home after they did all the work for me this morning before work. A couple of guys went round dad's at 7am this morning before work to finish it off for me and called me just as I got in to work myself to tell me it was already done. I was expecting to go work on it myself at the weekend.

I don't think people realise what bikers are really like, so many just judge us on stereotypes and what they see in films etc.

Anyway, I know that had nothing to do with training but there you go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Good news that nothings broken, but If I were you I'd take a week off training to be absolutely sure!

I've been back on my training for 3 weeks now after my tendonitis inflammation again. Working hard and prioritizing front lever and handstand pushups. Currently in a 10 sec advanced tuck front lever and on 5-6 handstand pushups with full range of motion. After 10 HSPU its time for the free handstanding pushups which will be difficult to regain after my 2 month lay off almost!

Getting a set of paralettes, not sure If I should train planche's or not. I can currently hold a tucked planche for around 5-8 seconds but I do not want to put stress under my forearm because the tendonitis might flare up and it badly again. Really want to learn planche though, such a bad situation.

How many pullups you on now Fi? Im currently sitting at 15-17 wide pullups on good days Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Chris - that is awesome. I know quite a few bikers and there's a real community spirit amongst them. Sounds like your group's really cool - amazing to be back on the road so quickly!

Freddy - I'm only up to 9. Stopped trying to increase my reps a few months ago after tendonitis worries (I don't think it was - just some strained ligaments or whatever, but it made me pretty paranoid). After Lee having to take time off, I realise that no-one's invincible, so definitely going to take it slow. Did day 2 of the 50 pull-ups program today. Went fine. Will do my max rep test next weekend I think.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 11:14 am

I have a good program for increasing max pull-ups without risk of tendonitis. It's worth a look at. It's similar to the twentpullups and 50pullups program.

----------

Note: You only do this workout on Mon, Wed, Fri... OR Tue, Thu, Sat. Anything with that pattern, 3 times per week, with 1 day between each. That's all I did, too. Don't do it every day.

The structure is always like this...
Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Pull-ups
Rest 90 seconds between each set always

Level 4: Amateur

Week 1...
Day 1: 7,8,7,5,5 (Total: 32)
Day 2: 8,8,7,7,4 (Total: 34)
Day 3: 7,8,8,7,5 (Total: 35)

Week 2...
Day 1: 9,8,7,6,6 (Total: 36)
Day 2: 8,9,8,7,5 (Total: 37)
Day 3: 9,9,8,6,6 (Total: 38)

Week 3...
Day 1: 10,8,7,6,6 (Total: 37)
Day 2: 9,10,8,7,5 (Total: 39)
Day 3: 9,10,9,7,6 (Total: 41)

Week 4...
Day 1: 10,9,9,7,6 (Total: 41)
Day 2: 10,10,9,7,5 (Total: 41)
Day 3: 10,10,9,8,6 (Total: 43)

Week 5...
Day 1: 10,10,9,9,8 (Total: 46)
Day 2: 10,10,9,9,9 (Total: 47)
Day 3: 10,9,10,9,9 (Total: 47)

My progress was very good with it. I started at 14 Pull-Ups and finished with 21 Pull-Ups after 7 full weeks. That means I failed 6 workouts in total, which isn't that much!

This level is supposed to take you to "at least 15, but most folks can knock out over 20 at this point!"

----------

There's an easier level before this too. I'll post it here. It has the same structure as the above (always pull,chin,pull,chin,pull with 90 sec. rests).

Level 3: Varsity

Week 1:
Day 1: 3,3,2,3,2 (Total: 13)
Day 2: 3,4,3,3,2 (Total: 15)
Day 3: 4,4,3,3,2 (Total: 16)

Week 2:
Day 1: 4,5,4,4,3 (Total: 20)
Day 2: 5,4,5,4,4 (Total: 22)
Day 3: 4,6,4,5,4 (Total: 23)

Week 3:
Day 1: 6,5,5,4,3 (Total: 23)
Day 2: 5,6,5,4,2 (Total: 22)
Day 3: 5,6,6,5,2 (Total: 24)

Week 4:
Day 1: 5,6,6,6,3 (Total: 26)
Day 2: 5,6,7,6,3 (Total: 27)
Day 3: 5,7,6,6,3 (Total: 27)

Week 5:
Day 1: 5,6,7,7,3 (Total: 28)
Day 2: 6,6,7,6,4 (Total: 29)
Day 3: 7,7,6,6,4 (Total: 30)

I used this with 20kg added starting from Week 1 but I decided to stop after 2 weeks because my goals changed. It increased my max from 8 to 11/12 though!

This level is supposed to take you "up to 14 reps (or more!)"

----------

I'll post this on the routines section too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Not bad, when I started in January I was on 0 pullups haha. Now on 15-17 so not too bad. I'm going to start weighted pullups to increase my strength which should up my reps quicker.

Got my first free handstanding pushup today super stoked! I actually managed 2 reps but the second rep was off form when pushing upwards. A step closer to my tiger bend goal, and others..

Front lever is coming on nicely too now, I love calisthenics Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Just got back from Primrose. A good session. Got 10 chin-ups. Did day 3 of the 50pullups program, which was fine. Felt strong all day, apart from the 30 degree heat Smile I like the 50PU program as it gives you a routine based on your reps. It is pretty similar though - you do it every other day for the first three sessions, then take two days off, then do the last three sessions every other. I have to say that training on the bar every other day is something that's working well for me all round - definitely stops over-training!

And nice one on the front lever Freddy! I did some tuck holds today Smile
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 am

I need a session down Primrose, would be great for a UK meet down there. Should probably organise something afro

How long are you holding the tuck lever? I'm currently holding an advanced tuck 5-10 seconds, soon as I hit 20-30 seconds I'll go to straddle or one legged levers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 am

Between 5 and 10s. More like 10 now. Gonna start trying to put alternate legs out soon - tried a few times but can't really hold it. Need to find a way to strengthen my lower back more as I think that's a weak point.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 am

Can't wait til Monday, back into training then. I get up for work about 6am, and leave between 7.30-7.45 so I'm going to get all my crap ready the night before, get up and have a quick breakfast then get in a 45-60 minute session before work I reckon.

Work isn't that hard so if I go in sore or tired I'll still be fine. I just don't have the mindset to workout after work atm, I'll try the mornings for now but might end up shifting times etc. Like getting up half an hour earlier to get more in or something.

I'm up for a Primrose session, although I won't be able to get down for a couple of months at least, and may even be the start of next year before I have the money spare. I know there's a decent group that meet there already, but we should try and get as many from this thread there on one day as we can.

Fi: I'm going to bodge this week a little. I'll do a max test Monday and see what I get, then either start from day two of the appropriate cycle on Wednesday, or do some mash up sessions for the rest of the week and start the cycle next Monday.

It's surprising how well that routine works though, I don't see why people have put it down so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 am

Morning training - dedicated! I don't think I could do that. But sounds like it will fit in around work perfectly, and give you the time to chill in the evening.

And yeah - so far I've been actually really happy with that program. Started off thinking it was easy, then switched that to "oh sh*t actually this could be really hard", but now I think it's just right. I've been doing quite a bit of other stuff as well as the routine, so quite glad to be taking two days off pull-ups now, although I have a day out the office tomorrow so was thinking of checking out a new park, which might mean only one day off Wink Maybe I'll just resist the pull-ups.

Actually I was thinking this morning that I'm quite excited to do the max rep test - gonna video it as I reckon it'll definitely be over 10 - maybe more like 12.
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 am

I do two sessions in one day most weeks, morning before work and afternoon after work. Great progress from this, lots of volume and intensity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:47 am

Just done my first early morning session, all be it a light one. Up at half five and out by six, only did max pull ups, push ups and dips to see how I fair after a few days off and see if I have any little niggles from the accident.

I got 8 pull ups, 15 dips and only 20 push ups which is disappointing :/ But I'll work from here and soon get them up again. I just need to ease into this cos I'm still half asleep now so I need to get used to the cycle so I feel more awake in the mornings.

My right wrist feels a little sore/stiff afterwards so I'll keep an eye on that today and do some wrist mobility stuff on break and at lunch just to keep it moving.

Contemplating getting up the same time monday to friday and adding runs in on tues/thurs as well as my strength stuff every other day. I just need to be committed enough to actually go as running is the one thing I always give up on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ch4rl13

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Sounding like some good progress all around guys! Nice one!
I've put a picture of my home set up on my website, also a sudden spurt in progress on the front lever. I'm getting about 8 seconds with best being around 10. http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk [url=http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk ]http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk [/url]
I've got a few kettlebells, 20kg vest, rings, couple of bags (boxing + kickboxing) some homemade stuff like parallettes, bulgarian bags etc so can keep pretty busy! Just need to use it all now Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 pm

ch4rl13 wrote:
Sounding like some good progress all around guys! Nice one!
I've put a picture of my home set up on my website, also a sudden spurt in progress on the front lever. I'm getting about 8 seconds with best being around 10. http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk [url=http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk ]http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk [/url]
I've got a few kettlebells, 20kg vest, rings, couple of bags (boxing + kickboxing) some homemade stuff like parallettes, bulgarian bags etc so can keep pretty busy! Just need to use it all now Twisted Evil

I'm jealous of your home gym! Razz Awesome static holds too
Back to top Go down
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Nice blog Charlie! Commented and subscribed Smile

And nice lever too!
Back to top Go down
ch4rl13

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Cool Thanks! I plan to put a how to build plan up online although there are a few around if you search for them. The hardest part is making sure everything is aligned but nothing majorly difficult if you have a bit of building experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Had a bit of time at work today so had a browse through both your blogs, some great stuff all round!

I'm struggling a bit at the moment. Getting up at half five to work out is a pain, I'm so tired and have little motivation that early, but I have no other time to do it. I don't even have time to watch a couple of youtube videos or anything to get psyched up. I'm falling back and losing all my progress atm, I really need to kick myself into gear in the morning and bust my arse to prove to myself that the early morning sessions are nothing and I can still do just as much and reap the benefits.

EDIT: To save time in the mornings I'm going to try pairing exercises. The guy that wrote "Overcoming Gravity" has given me some tips via reddit so I'll give it a go and see how I do.

If I'm doing Mon/Weds/Fri but not doing as much as I used to due to time et, would it be alright to add in another workout on saturday when I have the time to be more focused and really work myself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next