Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The British Thread.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Fi

Fi

The British Thread. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Yes Smile Just take it easy on Friday so you're rested. You could even do Tuesday and Thursday and then go for a killer session on Saturday (and do legs/cardio on the other days).

I only train on the bars every other day now (to prevent over-training) and it's working out well for me.

I did day 5 of the 50PU program. 6, 6, 9, 6, 8.
Given that 9 was my max before I started, I'm pretty happy. One more day of it on Saturday, then gonna do the max test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Actually looking forward to it! Also gonna stop with that program for a bit to work on explosive pull-ups - can't do both at the same time I think - to work towards doing a MU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 am

That's how I felt. My max was five at one point, and I was convinced it wasn't going to work but then I realised I'd done five sets at 4,5,4,4,5 that day. So I'd done my max twice in one session, with another three sets close to it.

I've done a light session today but I still struggled to get motivated. I might try my sessions after work next week, see how that goes. I usually have other things to do in the evenings but this can take priority over those, until my college work starts for the apprenticeship. Although I'm hoping to do a lot of that in lunch breaks at work.

I'm not going to give up and stop, but I know I've fallen behind and really need to get some motivation back. Although I've only been at work a week and a half so I'm sure things will be fine once I get more used to the daily routine, I just need to keep going and not slip up now otherwise I'll get used to not training.

Oh while I think about it, I tried leg raises again today and an L-Sit which didn't work haha. I can't get my legs straight, but it feels like my calf is the part holding me back. I can bend over and touch the floor from standing with straight legs and no pulling on ligaments etc, but I can't get my damn legs straight for L-Sits or raises. Is this just a case of building up strength for it or is it a flexibility issue?

Like I said, it feels as though my calf won't let me fully extend my legs. I have Convict Conditioning so I'm going to try the leg raise progressions in there and see where that gets me over time, but any advice is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ch4rl13

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Flexibility can be a problem although it sounds like strength if you try with bent knees first (it would look like your hanging on the bar looking like you are sat on an invisible floating chair. practising reps but also some static holds too would help build up strength. Very strange for your calves to be holding you back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.charliesharpe.co.uk
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 5:54 pm

reincarnate100 wrote:

Let me know what you think!

I've been watching your vids recently and your muscle-ups are perfect form. One slight problem being that your triceps seem to be letting you down, you should strengthen your tri's and delts (handstand pushups) and you could bang out 10 clean muscle-ups easy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 am

ch4rl13: It's a weird feeling and it may not even be calves, just the way it feels when I try them.

After losing a lot of motivation due to work and fooling myself into thinking I don't have the time now, I took some pictures last night and compared them with the ones I took at the end of June. I've toned up slightly but lost a fair bit of fat, still no six pack but I no longer have as much of that dreaded belly that everyone hates. Work is helping a lot as I make a point of only taking the food I need, usually a banana and a nature valley (oats and choc chip) bar for morning break around half ten, then sandwiches and an apple or another bar or something for lunch. This is enough to keep me going through the day without feeling hungry and without the urge to snack. I never realised how much I used to eat when I was at home, I thought I'd cut down my snacking but looking back I still ate loads.

After seeing how much of a difference I've already made after slowing down my training and slacking off, it's given me the boost I need to get back on the bar properly and see what I can do with maximum effort.

I know I've lost numbers and set myself back but it's my own fault, so I'll just pick myself up and get back on it, and not quit!

I've been toying with the idea of doing videos in the future, what sort of cameras do you lot use?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 5:57 am

Freddy wrote:
reincarnate100 wrote:

Let me know what you think!

I've been watching your vids recently and your muscle-ups are perfect form. One slight problem being that your triceps seem to be letting you down, you should strengthen your tri's and delts (handstand pushups) and you could bang out 10 clean muscle-ups easy!

I think you're right, but how did you figure it out? Was it something I did in the video? Please explain. Smile Was it my max of 15 dips, or something else?

I was able to do 5 handstand pushups (headstand technically) against the wall a few months ago but now I can't do any. I need to start doing negatives and/or elevated pike push-ups.

I think I can agree though. The transition part of the MU requires strong triceps. There's only so high you can pull with your lats/biceps. The mid-lower chest is the height reached by pulling, and if you want to go higher you need to extend your arms slightly which'd be triceps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 pm

You can just see in your videos, when you do more than 1 muscle-up your tri's seem to give way first which stops you from doing more reps. Your muscle-up is absolutely spot on, form is great. Maybe weighted dips? (get bigger arms this way too Cool )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 2:42 pm

I already do weighted dips. Been trying to get as strong as possible with them. Going to add HSPU negatives as well, starting next week.
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 3:18 pm

To get to where I am now with handstand pushups which is 3-4 free handstanding pushups with good form.

Couldn't wait to get off negatives seems like it took forever, then I actually got handstand pushups against the wall and was like woooooo haha. Now I can do them without the wall makes me feel like a god Laughing

Took me around 4 months but I've been injured since May with forearm tendonitis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 3:25 pm

That's very impressive!

When I said I could do 5 reps the against the wall before, it was with a relatively wide hand placement which apparently is cheating. I'm going to start the negatives from shoulder width as recommended. I think the strength will build up fast, but being able to do them free-standing is another matter. I need to practise balancing handstands DAILY for that!
Back to top Go down
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 pm

When I started out it went handstand with wall>free handstand>handstand negatives>handstand pushups with wall>free handstand pushups! Next is 10 reps then tigerbend Cool

Fi my front lever is coming on so nicely, get stronger daily in this area! I tried the one legged front lever and got a nice 3-5 second lever out of this, I alternated the legs too. Filmed myself for form and all is good, soon as I get it a video is going up! Probs 1-2 months though

Going to start posting vids of myself around mid september after 6 months of training, would be 9 but injured for 3 sucks

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Chris you gotta stop being so hard on yourself Smile

Training (of any sort) is a long journey, and on that journey will be bumps and wrong turnings and running out of petrol and all kinds of other things. Don't worry about it - just continue to try your best and you'll make progress. Your numbers wil always fluctuate, even when you're training every day, because your focus will change over time and you'll pay less attention to one thing.

Anyhow, WRT camera's, I normally use my old digital one - Canon A710 IS. I have a GorillaPod for it which is quite useful as you can stand it on/attach it to things.

Filming yourself is really useful - great to see mistakes and see errors in your form.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 8:18 am

This week I'm starting HeSPU negatives and MU negatives. Gotta get my tricep strength up!!! Thanks to Freddy! Did 3x5 of MU negatives and they were so hard to control. I put max effort in though, so I should get better with time!
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:42 pm

reincarnate100 wrote:
This week I'm starting HeSPU negatives and MU negatives. Gotta get my tricep strength up!!! Thanks to Freddy! Did 3x5 of MU negatives and they were so hard to control. I put max effort in though, so I should get better with time!

Sounds good dude! You're well ahead of me but I'll get there, everyone starts somewhere. I found my triceps seemed to develop better than biceps, not size wise but in strength, I went from not being able to do a pull up or a proper dip (could do bench dips) to at one point having 11 pull ups and 19 dips by running the same program from both.

I've missed a couple of weeks so have dropped my numbers slightly but they should come back pretty quickly, I'm in no rush, apart from a bet with my cousin.

I'm not rushing for it but I'm curious, how many pull ups did people get to before training explosive to get to the muscle up? And how did you train for explosive pull ups?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:51 pm

You should get back to your old max pretty fast! Smile

I'd say anything above 12 pull-ups isn't a necessity as it's mainly endurance after that. Personally when I did my first MU (February), I was able to do 15-20 pull-ups and 5-10 dips.

To train for power I just kept it simple. I did 3x5 of high pull-ups with full recovery between sets every other day. Just pull as hard, fast and high as possible without kipping. I see it more as a speed drill, not a workout. I don't get tired from doing it, I actually feel good afterwards! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Quote :
how many pull ups did people get to before training explosive to get to the muscle up? And how did you train for explosive pull ups?

I probably started doing explosive pulls when I was about at 7 or 8. Basically just tried to pull up hard and lift my hands off the top of the bar. I figure that as time goes on I will be able to pull higher and higher.

Got my max rep test tomorrow - quite excited. Hoping for 11 or 12.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Nail it Fi!

What was your max coming into it? And which cycle did you just finish?

I reckon I'll get up to 12-15 pull ups and then work on explosive pulls. Did anyone try weighted pulls to add power? I've heard a lot of people use this so when they train without the added weight they find it a lot easier to do explosive stuff as they're use to a heavier load.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Max was 9, and just finished the 9-11 cycle. Hoping to get 11 or 12. That would be awesome.

If I had the money to get a weighted vest then I would do more weighted stuff. I definitely think it's a good idea. I did some once up at Primrose - might ask Sai to bring his vest again next weekend as it would be good to do some more. Reckon they'd definitely help get your reps up.
Back to top Go down
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

CTurner wrote:
I reckon I'll get up to 12-15 pull ups and then work on explosive pulls. Did anyone try weighted pulls to add power? I've heard a lot of people use this so when they train without the added weight they find it a lot easier to do explosive stuff as they're use to a heavier load.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I do my high pull-ups after weighted pull-ups. You feel super light and it isn't just a feeling either - I can actually pull 1-2" higher!

My workout for the past month has been the following:
3x5 weighted (started at 10kg and moved up by 2.5kg each week.)
3x5 high pull-ups
3x5 c-shaped pull-ups
3-5 minutes rest between all sets (takes a while but you want to be fully fresh for each set)

It worked great for my pulling power, but my endurance has suffered as the above is all I did.

I can do more high pull-ups now though, but not as many regular ones as before. It's weird like that.

---

Is this program you and Fi are talking about called 50pullups.com? It looks good. I need to try it!

The program I posted in the routines section is great, but since the rest times are 90s your reps in each set will be a lot lower than your max. With the program you guys are on about, you're doing higher reps relative to your max (due to 120s rest) which'd be more fun for me.
Back to top Go down
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:18 am

Yeah that's the one. I started it a little while ago when I couldn't even do a pull up properly (I could struggle to the top with poor form) so I started on the negatives at the beginning. Since then I've managed to up my max by roughly 4 reps at the end of each two week cycle. I've slacked off a little lately so I've just gone back a cycle and started from there.

I don't time my rest, but I do roughly two minutes like it says, sometimes more and sometimes less cos I can generally tell if I'll fail the next set or not so I take an extra 30 seconds sometimes. Although as time passes you become more accustomed to the rest anyway.

As I said to Fi when I put her onto it, it may feel easy for you to complete all five sets each day, but don't be fooled. Your max WILL go up each cycle.

Oh, it works well with dips too. I use the same exact routine for those, although I'm further on, so I just do a more advanced cycle but it works just as well.

I must say, I'm enjoying this British Thread. Met a lot of decent people and got some awesome advice, it's great to have somewhere to come at the end of each day and tell people about your progress and hear theirs too. Maybe we should organise a meet sometime, get Fi to coax LWT, Jay and Sai along too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freddy

Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Deffo up for a meet, specially when I get my front lever and 5 handstand pushups Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I'll still be on the basics I reckon, but hopefully there'll be more than one meet, spread them out like 6 months apart or something so people can progress, and save for the next one haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Lee Wade Turner told me there may a Bar-barian event in Manchester in October. I missed the one in June for exams, but I want to go to it this time. Will any of you go if it's definitely on?
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:25 pm

So long as it doesn't class with anything I should be there :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Hmm, gonna have to ask Lee about this on Saturday! Am definitely interested, although it's a bit of a trip from London.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The British Thread.   The British Thread. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The British Thread.
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next