Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Geronimo wrote:
So if this is true...I would assume it is important to do a workout with max sets of each excersise? Like 5 sets of max pullups with 3min rest or so...5 sets of max dips and pushups..

What is your opinion on this?

it should be part of your training arsenal. as what similar to what sosna and hobo mentioned, you need to fire off at least 50 DIPS to have a safe benchmark doing the BBRS. MINIMUM one set (you can do more) of max reps for each DIPS PULLUPS and PUSHUPS should always be measured once a month or every 2 weeks, and also to be done when fresh (beginning of workouts), just to gauge your progression. for example, july's max reps for DIPS is 40, when done in august, it should be more than 40, not less, unless quality is improved in the ROM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 5:44 pm

Phanta wrote:
You're probably going to think I'm stupid...
I want to be a Bar Barian but I don't have where to train for MU and I don't have a proper place for Dips too Wink

That aside, i've been training for a while and I still can't do more than 10 Pullups or more than 12 Dips or even more than 25 Pushups

I do Dips on Rings and I usually do 3-6
I usually do 5-8 Pullups
15-20 pushups

So my numbers are quite low

My estimation will be something like this:

MU - 0
Dips - 10
Pullups - 6
Pushups - 15
MU - 0

So what should I do?

Sorry I'm such a beginner

hey man, we all started somewhere. please read the earlier (every) posts in this thread and you might have a rough idea where we headed at.
Back to top Go down
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 4:49 am

update guys, just finished ramadhan fasting, today is the first day i trained not fasted, had a meal 5 hours prior to training, quite heavy glutinous rice with chicken and beef.

so i tried hobo's recommended routine. the five "3 min" round. for those who dont know what the routine is..

20 DIPS
10 PULLUPS
25 PUSHUPS

within 3 mins.. for 5 (official) sets. i only got 3 sets, first time doing it. lol i had to stop at the fourth round, only got 14 DIPS.

2 mins rest in between set. if you finish earlier than 3 mins, the remaining time adds to your 2 min rest time.

overall, good pump, good heart rate, need to get used at the fatigue, i still feel heavy while doing the dips. need tips on the dips. the numbers may be small, but if u try finishing it asap, fatigue will get hold of u before u even know it. thanks hobo for the routine.
Back to top Go down
Sosna

Sosna

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 7:21 pm

K4lisPeluru wrote:

so i tried hobo's recommended routine. the five "3 min" round. for those who dont know what the routine is..

20 DIPS
10 PULLUPS
25 PUSHUPS

Also tried this routine, managed 3 rounds, after that I was knackered. Probably going to make this more of a regular thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagneticSun

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 2:06 pm

I really like the 5 three minute round routine. the idea of adding reps to the exercises is great as well.

I am also going to try the Bar-Barians requirements with out the MU's in order to build up my stamina for that aspect of the test. Then I can attempt MU's here and there during the practice in order to gauge where I am stamina wise.

Very helpful dialog here indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Geronimo

Geronimo

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 20, 2012 5:59 pm

did hobos routine today..
20 dips
1 0pullups
25 pushups
in 3mins...2min rest unless finished early...

completed 4 rounds and could not go past 13 dips on the 5th round. i can see that this will definitely help on the road to the bbr. if only i could have pushed through those last 7 dips i could have completed the whole thing. i will definitely keep this in my arsenal of routines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 am

finished 5 rounds today, next time with 22 DIPS 11 PULLUPS 28 PUSHUPS!
Back to top Go down
MagneticSun

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I finished the 5 rounds yesterday. I will definitely increase all of the reps

I also tried the requirements without the MU's and it was very very humbling. It gave me a concrete idea of where I am exactly. I acknowledge the hard work and the stamina necessary to meet these requirements. It is going to take a stronger push in all of my workouts. Less rest between sets and more reps, etc.

I look forward to this challenge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobo1256

hobo1256

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Just wandered back here after surfing through some of the threads. Not sure why I didn't get the email notifications for the replies on this one...

I'm glad everyone's enjoying the pain with my routine! It's great to hear feedback and to know the routines are helping.

@K4lisPeluru
Regarding your question with dip tips. My mindset for dips is like the same I have for push ups - speed & efficiency. For my push ups, all I'm thinking about on the way down is efficiency. The most efficient way, which most of you do as well, is pretty much like dropping and then catching yourself before your face smashes into the ground. Once I'm at the bottom, I push up with a lot of explosiveness as if I were going to do a clapping push up (just without the clapping). The reason for this is so that I can let that 'upward' momentum carry me through the lockout position of the push up and transition back down with less energy than if I were to do it slow and controlled.

I apply this same concept to my dips. I 'drop' into the bottom position and catch myself there. From there, I explode up as if I were going to do a clapping dip (I don't do clapping dips lol). Again, that upward momentum brings me through the lockout position and back down.

Just make sure your shoulders and muscles around there are okay to stick that bottom position because you're gonna be catching all your weight.

My current rep scheme is still at 25/14/30. So brutal on set 4 and currently impossible on set 5 haha. I'll try it tonight/tomorrow and record my set 4 into 5 for form check.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/hobo1256
uk Jay

uk Jay

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 am

The Mind set of Bar-Barians™ Great Thread!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
semajh18

semajh18

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Here's an idea that I have that I plan on implementing that I would like to share, I think breaking down and practicing the BBR's in sets would be a great training routine; and example of this would be:

3 to 5 sets of

3 Muscle Ups
15 Dips
12-15 Pull ups
20 Push Ups
3 Muscle Ups

With a 3 to 5 minute break in between sets and a 30 second break in between exercises (Example: 3 muscle ups, 30 seconds, 15 dips 30 seconds, etc.)

Once you become comfortable with this routine (Meaning that you are performing each rep with strict form, because that is how they will have to be during the requirements) increase your reps

3 to 5 sets of

5 Muscle Ups
20-25 Dips
15-20 Pull Ups
30 Push Ups
5 Muscle Ups

Keeping the same amount of rest as in the first level; and once again, once you get comfortable with this level increase your reps again, and you will do this until you reach very close to the number of reps in the BBR's for instance,

3 to 5 sets of

7 Muscle Ups
30-40 Dips
20-25 Pull Ups
35-45 Push Ups
7 Muscle Ups

The reason why I suggest doing more muscle ups than is required is because for most people (including myself) muscle ups take the most amount of energy to do. So practicing more than you will have to do in the actual requirements will condition you to the point where 5 won't feel so hard during the requirements.
Now once you become comfortable with this level, you could start practicing this level with less rest time in between reps and sets to simulate the elevated heart rate that will occur during the requirements.

Let me know how this goes for you all and I will keep you all informed on my progress too... Let's get these requirements!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 7:57 pm

great post semajh18. try it and let us know how was it!
Back to top Go down
Bevinator

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:38 am

Aiyo, Here is my first crack at it. Posted it in my log but I'm not too sure who goes there...
Didn't quite make it but I can't be too far off...
Lets get em done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 11:25 am

@pflmagic - you are almost there bro.

me on the other hand, im experiencing a difficulty at the moment, i have tried out hobos 50-50-50 and these are the results

50 PUSHUPS in 45 secs
(50 straight)

50 PULLUPS in 5 mins 25 secs
(25+6+5+5+5+4)

50 DIPS in 2 mins 11 secs
(30+7+6+7)

these are done each on different days and at the beginning of training.

my main problem is doing this at fresh. i feel like my muscles are cold while doing this even after warming up (mainly warming up the joints). im wondering if theres any good warm up before doing the dips because i really feel HEAVY when i do dips at the beginning. however, i did pyramid dips after and i feel my muscles felt warmed up enough after doing 50 DIPS, i actually manage to do 2-4-6-8 straight with holds. but that isnt the case, i need to be warmed up even before to actually do 50 DIPS straight if i need to get the BBR done. and the main question now is, are there any good warm up especially for tricep muscles before beginning dips?
Back to top Go down
Fed X

Fed X

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 am

K4lisPeluru wrote:
THE STRUCTURE OF BBR

5 MU
45 DIPS
25 PULLUPS
55 PUSHUPS
5 MU

under 6 mins.

if we analyse this, we find that there 2 major factors are involved.

super human muscle endurance (to handle fatigue) and anaerobic (85-95% heart rate, to maintain stamina or breath) state.

so the first question,

How can we achieve muscle endurance and maintain anaerobic state?

my solution, for starters do what i call "the classics"

30 DIPS
20 PULLUPS
40 PUSHUPS

for 3-5 sets

this is a routine i took from BB Sai Ngo's log. and i could say it works very well. everytime you do it on other different day, you get to increase your reps OR your reps get better range of motion. this is where we can solve the muscle endurance part, however, what about getting used at a high heart rate for that period time?

solution, apply "the classics" but do it FOR TIME. means try to finish it ASAP with best ROM as possible.

example, first set it could be

30 DIPS
20 PULLUPS
40 PUSHUPS

within 3 mins.

rest for 5-6 mins and then perform another set and it might look like

20+10 DIPS
10+10 PULLUPS
20+20 PUSHUPS

within 7 mins.

and keep repeating until you achieved the required sets you aimed for the day. every session you perform this, should get better in terms of quality or time or BOTH.

How has this routine helped

I manage to get the OLD BBR at a faster rate - my best time at the moment is 4:56

However, this routine helps a lot on the OLD BBR, not really on the latest BBR i suppose as you have additional MU at the beginning, and that hits fatigue quicker to your dips, pullups and pushups as through out the whole set. so there you go, thats my problem number 1. i hope someone could help me out and hope that this post helps. thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

Fed X

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 am

Those routines look pretty awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:42 pm

the year end is near, i have not attempt the bbrs since beginning of Ramadhan. hows everyone progress? i thought of giving a shot this october.
Back to top Go down
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 am

K4lisPeluru wrote:
the year end is near, i have not attempt the bbrs since beginning of Ramadhan. hows everyone progress? i thought of giving a shot this october.

Current good form standalone maxes
Muscle-ups 7
Dips 34
Pull-ups 20 (used to be 25, apparently I did no Max rep work over the summer!!!)
Press-ups ?? (Injured wrist playing football, and can't flex it back for press-ups :-( almost healed now though :-) :-) )

Not attempted a combined set yet though. This system of 20/10/25 (or 25/12/0 that I'm currently doing) is really good and I can see it building my maxes back up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 6:09 am

good on you mate. hope for speedy recovery. lets get done this year end aight. i think pflmagic and sosna are both really close.
Back to top Go down
MagneticSun

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

K4lisPeluru wrote:

The requirements are no joke!

I train without the MU's a few days a week. It has gotten a lil easier over the last 2 weeks. I really think I should just do a few sets like this for a few days as my entire workout to push my endurance. Then try it with some weight in my vest. I will see.

I can do 7-8 MU's in a few sets before I fatigue.

I have yet to combine the whole routine.

This week I will make my first attempt at it, Inshallah. I want to meet the requirements before it gets bitter cold outside. Maybe I should go hard for 2 weeks then shoot at it. Only Allah knows.

I will post my first attempt too. Pass or fail

Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 pm

aight lets do it!
Back to top Go down
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am

attempted hobo's routine with slightly higher reps

22 DIPS
11 PULLUPS
28 PUSHUPS

i managed 3 rounds, the 4th round i had to stop at 5th dips.

even slight reps makes a lot of difference. in terms of stamina, i think i could go on but my muscles told me to stop. its so close to the year end, gotta buck up!!!
Back to top Go down
loganlion

loganlion

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 2:37 am

I'm loving this thread! Alotta good information, the B-B Reqs has been a goal of mine for a long time, but now I believe that I might be closer than ever, but I still need alot of training though.

I like how you guys have kinda broken apart the reqs and made them into sets, I gotta try that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 4:19 am

loganlion wrote:
I'm loving this thread! Alotta good information, the B-B Reqs has been a goal of mine for a long time, but now I believe that I might be closer than ever, but I still need alot of training though.

I like how you guys have kinda broken apart the reqs and made them into sets, I gotta try that!

give it a go and see where you stand. im planning to give it a shot maybe next weekend. my last progress was

5 MU
45 DIPS (40-45 was struggling, im not sure about the ROM as well)
25 PULLUPS (20-25 had to massively kip)
55 PUSHUPS (i think my ROM was horrible through out)
0 MU (was literally out)

this was few months back, hope to get the last 5 MU on time at least.

keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
MagneticSun

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I made I first attempt at the requirements today.

I have so much respect for this routine.

5 MU
45 dips ( I was encouraged here, I felt good and made good time, man was I in for a rude awakening)
25 pull up
55 push ups
2 MU's (very rough and raggedy)
and I only had like 5 seconss left as well, i wouldn't have made it even if I had the stamina. I cannot wait until I can make this a regualr routine. That's my new goal. Inshallah, I will make these requirements submit! Very Happy

practicing these without the muscle ups has helped me alot. Now I think I can just focus on the requirements until I complete it

These requirements are NO JOKE! I have much respect for anyone and everyone who can complete this. Salute!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR   BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

BAR-BARIAN POTENTIALS / THOSE WHO ARE AIMING FOR BBR
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next