Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

when to back lever

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buckman

Buckman

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 am

when should i start practising for back lever? my max dead hang wide pull ups is 8-9, no kipping... should i get stronger or i am okay for it?

weakest point is lower back

i cant do full skin the cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 10:28 am

There's no real guideline number of pull-ups or anything like that for back lever. If you can hold the bar for at least 30s you'll be fine Wink

The next step is to be able to do a skin the cat. This is actually quite important as it builds your shoulder strength and flexibility. Both are quite important for the back lever (the flexibility especially)

After that, try for a tucked back lever, either have a mirror or a friend be with you so you know when you are horizontal.

Then it's the usual advanced tuck, straddle, full back lever method Smile

Good luck... and don't forget to warm up your shoulders before you do it!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Wait and double your basics, no need for any moves now other than the basics. If you get bored just work on the basics with variations still they aren't needed. I personally don't care for moves anymore i do them for fun once per week, for me they don't build enough strength like i get from deadlifting 400x20 no comparison or 230 atlasx30. Trainhard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triggerman12

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 5:50 pm

DAMN LOO!!! IS THAT 400 lb deadlifts 20 reps? if that is DAMN THATS ALOT OF WEIGHT WITH ALOT OF REPS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 pm

yea 400lbs. for 20 1 set but that's usually on my 5th - 7th set takes everything i got and more to get those reps they aren't easy. My absolute max is prob all out little over maybe up to 25reps. It means nothing till 30+ reps is met.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 am

you deadlift a barbell? i want to add deadlifting to my routine once a week or two
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:36 am

Yea barbell only, that tap bar stay away from its much easier it put s your body in the perfect position. Do them 2xs a week one session heavy 10 sets 1-3 rep range, the other high rep 10+ sets w/ 10-30 reps per set.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
h3X

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 10:57 am

Sounds like you do a lot of volume loo; how long is your recovery after a workout like that?
I'm going for strength rather than hypertrophy, do you think such a high volume would conflict with my goal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 11:20 am

I do super volume and it helps strength , it wont have any conflict. At first a while ago i couldn't budge my arms or legs for a good 3 weeks i was sore to death. I now do it daily, i don't care about all these rep ranges people talk about, all this stuff about training one part a week, rest 23-73 hrs. whatever it is. You build zero capacity following these methods. Do 1,000 squats with a heavy vest keep adding weight and adapt to the stress for 6months everyday no rest. Take the vest off walk over the bar put 100lbs. more on the bar than you weigh don't be surprised if you rep that 30xs.Then go for a run you will find your self running fast the whole time. Now train your legs once per week, rest fully, you will see how much more sluggish you feel the whole time.You work everyday,sleep everyday,eat everyday,drink everyday.Train everyday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
h3X

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm

I'd be afraid of over training, but I guess you can ease into it. I'm assuming you're not on the gear.. rabbit

I see how the leg training works out well for running since you're basically straining strength endurance with those squats. Do you train traditional upper body body weight exercises such as pullups and dips with these methods as well? I've been thinking that I should add a weighted vest to many of my workouts, but more along the lines of increasing absolute strength rather than endurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Your fear will prob hold you back, my mentality is different. And no im not on gear that's for the mentally weak people who want an easy way to obtain strength, most don't eat like me. Yea i only train traditional exercises i do moves once per week . Even on rest days i will try to get 100 pullups in 3sets, 200dips in 3sets, and 200 pushups in 3sets just to boost the endurance while recovering. I have no clue where you are at but most think they need a vest before they can really benefit from one. You know you can turn what is strength training for you now into endurance training which makes you much stronger.

Ex:
strength is low reps 1-5 reps

endurance is 15+reps

Deadlifts when i began it was hard to deadlift 400x 5 reps so i trained with that weight till i now can do it 20 reps. Turn your strength sets into your endurance sets then repeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
h3X

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm

So what you're saying is that you cycle maximum and endurance strength training?
I'm imagining you increase maximum strength in a period, and then deload to say 50% 1RM and increase endurance with that weight. Repeat.
Do you do all your exercises weighted, or only bodyweight?
How many calories do you typically get in a day? You said "most don't eat like me", what is your diet like?

Sorry for all the questions, but I admire your achievements and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 am

I train everything, weighted/no weight. My snack is prob more than most people's whole day in calories 1-2lbs. peanutbutter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobo1256

hobo1256

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 am

Look at the time that Lou posted this. 4:19AM LOL!! He's probably in between sets. Workout all day no sleep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/hobo1256
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 pm

haha nah i left work early.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Was out all night got 1hr. sleep will worjkout soon tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 6:12 pm

is any step before skin the cat? i cant do that but i can hold tucked front lever for few sec..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 4:36 pm

i am skinning the cat now, i can lower myself from inverted hang with one leg feeling mostly arms

do you think i should still do just skin the cat, maybe not tucked. I dont know when to move on another step
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Buckman wrote:
is any step before skin the cat? i cant do that but i can hold tucked front lever for few sec..

Sorry, managed to miss this, there's not really any specific move before it, just a case of being able to hang on rings, and doing partial reps of StC

Buckman wrote:
i am skinning the cat now, i can lower myself from inverted hang with one leg feeling mostly arms

do you think i should still do just skin the cat, maybe not tucked. I dont know when to move on another step

StC is mostly about building flexibility in your shoulders as well as some scapula strength for the rotation. If you can rotate all the way over and be mostly straight at the bottom of the StC then you've got the flexibility not to hurt yourself to start doing tucked versions of the back lever.

Sponsored content

when to back lever Empty
PostSubject: Re: when to back lever   when to back lever Empty

Back to top Go down

when to back lever
Page 1 of 1