Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Push-ups question

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey guys,

I've been doing push-ups for quite some time but never seem to make any gains. In fact, I occasionally lose ground and fall back on them.
Today I was doing a pyramid set of 2 4 6 8 10 12 10 8 6 4 2 (should be easy, and I bet you guys will laugh at that).
By the time I got to the 12 set, I was way out of breath and my pulse rate was at 180 b.p.m.
Is this healthy? What the heck is wrong with me?

Just to give you an idea of what my regimen comprises, I do about 50 chin-ups (divided into sets) over about a 20 minute period. Then I move on to the pyramidal set I just mentioned, above. For the push-ups, I was leaving a 45 second interval between those sets.

I'll do these about 3 times a week, so it's not like I'm going nuts on them or anything. I'm fed up.
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

You gotta mix it up a bit. do the same routine over and over and you get poor results.

Do something to shock your muscles, tear them up and force an adaptation response. Add in some Dips, do 5 sets of max PU with a longer rest period.

the reason your pulse was racing and you were outa breath is that the 45 sec rest wasnt enough for your body to recoup from the oxygen debt you placed yourself in during the anaerobic pushup work. Your fitness level is where it is, we all had to start somewhere. Keep at it but def change up the routine.
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:29 am

NGN wrote:
You gotta mix it up a bit. do the same routine over and over and you get poor results.

Do something to shock your muscles, tear them up and force an adaptation response. Add in some Dips, do 5 sets of max PU with a longer rest period.

the reason your pulse was racing and you were outa breath is that the 45 sec rest wasnt enough for your body to recoup from the oxygen debt you placed yourself in during the anaerobic pushup work. Your fitness level is where it is, we all had to start somewhere. Keep at it but def change up the routine.

Thanks for replying.

If I was just starting out, I wouldn't care so much. I've been doing push-ups and chin-ups for about 2 years though.
I'll sometimes change the routine, but I never seem to be able to blast into anything higher than a certain level.
I've toned (but not bulked) my upper body pretty well, but still have a layer of fat around my waist that simply will not disappear.
All I can do are the push-ups and the chin-ups, since I have no other equipment (except a recently-obtained exercise bicycle).
It makes me wonder if it's worth it. I'll look forward to doing my routine, but then when it comes time to actually do it, I get leery and know I'll be annoyed by the end of it.
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 am

How bad do you want it?

First fix your diet.
Paleo, Warrior, Leangains, Regegade diets all are great. Eat a ton of veggies and fruits and lean meat.

Then the first workout after you get your diet in order

200 push ups
200 sit ups
100 pull ups
500 squats

say like 20 sets of 10 or 10 sets of 20. rest just long enough to be able to hit the number.

Do that 3 days per week for 2 weeks. Then 4 days per week for 2 weeks, Then 5days for 2 weeks. Then 6 for 2 weeks. Then up the numbers and try to lower the number of sets by increasing the reps per set. By week 8 you will be a stud. As long as you are eating right and drinking lots of water.

You can split it up too, like push ups and sit ups in the morning, pull ups and squats in the pm.

Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 5:00 am

NGN wrote:
How bad do you want it?

First fix your diet.
Paleo, Warrior, Leangains, Regegade diets all are great. Eat a ton of veggies and fruits and lean meat.

Then the first workout after you get your diet in order

200 push ups
200 sit ups
100 pull ups
500 squats

say like 20 sets of 10 or 10 sets of 20. rest just long enough to be able to hit the number.

Do that 3 days per week for 2 weeks. Then 4 days per week for 2 weeks, Then 5days for 2 weeks. Then 6 for 2 weeks. Then up the numbers and try to lower the number of sets by increasing the reps per set. By week 8 you will be a stud. As long as you are eating right and drinking lots of water.

You can split it up too, like push ups and sit ups in the morning, pull ups and squats in the pm.

I'd be impressed if I could pull off those numbers. To do that type of volume I'd have to quit my job and do these exercises all day long.
I've read from various sources that you shouldn't really spend much more than an hour doing muscle workouts. Is there truth to this? It already takes me over an hour to get 50 chin-ups and about 170 push-ups done. By the end of my push-ups routine, I cannot even squeeze another push-up out, because I collapse.
Also don't the muscles need time to repair? If I was doing this stuff 6 times a week, when would my muscles get a chance to repair and build?
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am

My question was, How bad do you want it?

Those that want to do something find a way. Those that dont find excuses.

Its 6:00 am and I am halfway done with my workout. I usually workout later in the day but I have stuff to do today.

You build muscle while you sleep my friend. Eat good and sleep good and you can do this 7 days a week 2 x per day. 90% of the stuff you hear as what to do and what not to do, what to eat, blah, blah in the fitness world is crap. When I went to basic training 20yrs ago we did pushups and sit ups pretty much all day long, when we werent doing push ups and sit ups we were running or doing scissor kicks. That was 6 days per week for 13 weeks. Basic is designed to produce soldiers from fat slobs.
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Well, naturally, I want it bad.
The problem for me is that the spirit is willing but the flesh has limits.
I'm curious about something. If it were to take me about 2 hours (I'm just throwing out a number here) to get 200 push-ups done, would that have any positive effect on my body or would it be diluted due to the length of time?
I can rush myself through these things, but what ends up happening to me is that I get out of breath, my heart pounds, and my muscles fail to the point where I absolutely cannot lift myself for one more push-up.
Back to top Go down
soccerguy

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 5:56 pm

work on cardio
Back to top Go down
Emachine

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:40 pm

im definitely going to have to agree with NGN on this one....how bad do you want it? your situation really sounds like you have placed a mental plateau on your work.

you say your spirit is willing but your flesh cant? that doesnt make sense in my books. If you told yourself that your life would be spared from a masked killer if you were able to do 200 pushups in an hour instead of 2 you would.

If you really want to increase your reps, you will, if you kinda wanna increase your reps and kinda dont wanna work hard, you won't.

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 6:51 pm

BarNuck wrote:
im definitely going to have to agree with NGN on this one....how bad do you want it? your situation really sounds like you have placed a mental plateau on your work.

you say your spirit is willing but your flesh cant? that doesnt make sense in my books. If you told yourself that your life would be spared from a masked killer if you were able to do 200 pushups in an hour instead of 2 you would.

If you really want to increase your reps, you will, if you kinda wanna increase your reps and kinda dont wanna work hard, you won't.

I think it makes total sense. I might want to win an arm-wrestling match with Jesse Ventura when he was in his prime, but no matter how much I want to do it, I'm limited by what my body can actually do.
In your example about some killer sparing me if I can do 200 push-ups in an hour, that would be due to an adrenal response because of the incredible stress involved. It sure wouldn't be healthy to have the adrenal glands revved up like that all the time, notwithstanding the fact that you can't fake an experience in your mind like that. Either it's real or it's not.
Don't doubt the fact that I've worked hard. So hard, in fact, that I'll reiterate once more that I reach muscle failure on these things. That's not slacking.
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:51 pm

It doesnt matter how long it takes, IMO. As you get stronger it will take less time.

One way to get started without a huge amount of stress is GTG, grease the groove.
GTG can be done for strength, endurance or speed.

Take your 1 set max reps and do 50% of that every hour you are awake.
If you can do 50 pushups in a set then do 25 reps every hour. There is no reason why you wouldnt be able to do pushups at work either.

25 x 15 = 375 reps

even if you cant do them every hour at work you can get at least 3 sets in during the work day.

that would bring the total reps down a bit but it will still work.

Do this for 5 days in a row, then take 2 days off.
Add 5 reps per set the next week.

After 2 weeks of GTG you will be able to do pushups in your sleep. Forget the ladder routine, those are useless IMO.
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:28 am

NGN wrote:
It doesnt matter how long it takes, IMO. As you get stronger it will take less time.

One way to get started without a huge amount of stress is GTG, grease the groove.
GTG can be done for strength, endurance or speed.

Take your 1 set max reps and do 50% of that every hour you are awake.
If you can do 50 pushups in a set then do 25 reps every hour. There is no reason why you wouldnt be able to do pushups at work either.

25 x 15 = 375 reps

even if you cant do them every hour at work you can get at least 3 sets in during the work day.

that would bring the total reps down a bit but it will still work.

Do this for 5 days in a row, then take 2 days off.
Add 5 reps per set the next week.

After 2 weeks of GTG you will be able to do pushups in your sleep. Forget the ladder routine, those are useless IMO.

Interesting concept, NGN. I think I'll try this. I guess it would work for chin-ups while I'm at home too.
This will tone/build muscles while I'm doing it also?
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:50 am

Yeah GTG will work for any movement and will build muscle.
Back to top Go down
Buckman

Buckman

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:22 pm

dont do just chin ups, do pull ups and wide pull ups too, start with wide and finish with chins or mix it
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Well I hope GTG works for me. I did a set of push-ups and a set of chin-ups to just before failure today (to establish a benchmark from which to start the GTG) and was thoroughly disappointed. I was able to do 21 good form, steady push-ups and 9 chin-ups.
Over the past two years, I've tried that infernal 100 push-ups program you see online and a variation of my own stuff and this is all I can do in one set? Obviously this stuff toned my body but gave me very little increase in endurance or strength.
If GTG doesn't do anything for me, I think I'll throw in the towel.
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Buckman wrote:
dont do just chin ups, do pull ups and wide pull ups too, start with wide and finish with chins or mix it

How do I incorporate all of that into GTG?
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Tired_out wrote:
Buckman wrote:

How do I incorporate all of that into GTG?

Dont worry about all that, its rubbish. Keep it as simple as possible and stick with chins for now till you can get a good 10 reps per set. That should translate into 7-8 shoulder width pull ups. If you are doing GTG then do just pushups and chins. Actually you should be doing legs and core too. Day 1 pushups/chins, Day 2 squats/situps, Repeat. Add in a run to either day for even more benefit. Be fit all around. You can do this!
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Tired_out wrote:
Well I hope GTG works for me. I did a set of push-ups and a set of chin-ups to just before failure today (to establish a benchmark from which to start the GTG) and was thoroughly disappointed. I was able to do 21 good form, steady push-ups and 9 chin-ups.
Over the past two years, I've tried that infernal 100 push-ups program you see online and a variation of my own stuff and this is all I can do in one set? Obviously this stuff toned my body but gave me very little increase in endurance or strength.
If GTG doesn't do anything for me, I think I'll throw in the towel.

There are soooo many things wrong with this post. Overall though I read that you are very focused on the negative. When you say "I hope GTG works for me, that means you do not really believe it will. Just like when you buy a lottery ticket. You hope you are the winner but you dont really believe it will happen. Same thing with "I tried" or "I will try", either you do or you don't there is no try.
"I think I will throw in the towel?" dude you have given up already!
From your name Tired_out to almost all of the stuff you post, its all negative and if you focus on the negative you will stay stuck.

Try this tonight. Before you go to bed say out loud 3-4 times each.
1. I feel terrific! (with gusto) say this when you wake up too.
2. When I wake up in the morning I will feel terrific! (with feeling) emphasis on the word terrific.
When you say these things with feeling you cannot help but to feel terrific.

As you get settled in bed visualize yourself doing the sets with ease. Visualize your muscles recovering and growing. Your subconscious super computer will then make it happen.

Kick out negative thoughts instantly and focus on the positive.
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 am

I understand your perception, NGN. It comes out of frustration more than anything.
I'm keeping it positive today. So far, I'm up to 50 chin-ups and 155 push-ups, but this GTG thing takes a loooong time. Wink
Back to top Go down
NGN

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 am

Tired_out wrote:
I understand your perception, NGN. It comes out of frustration more than anything.
I'm keeping it positive today. So far, I'm up to 50 chin-ups and 155 push-ups, but this GTG thing takes a loooong time. Wink

Great work.

With GTG dont worry about total reps or even stress out if you dont get all the sets in that you could have. (not license to slack off) Do your best to get in the sets every day.

What are the reps per set?
Back to top Go down
Push-ups master

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 am

NGN wrote:
Tired_out wrote:

With GTG dont worry about total reps or even stress out if you dont get all the sets in that you could have. (not license to slack off) Do your best to get in the sets every day.

What are the reps per set?

15 push-ups, 5 chin-ups. Every 30 minutes, so far.
* There was a bit extra at the beginning but it was taking me too close to failure.
Back to top Go down
soccerguy

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 11:41 am

Back to top Go down
Emachine

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 am

"throw in the towel" what?!?!

NGN has given you perfect workout advise, as well as perfect advise on not being so negative. It sounds like your ready to give up at this point.

NGN

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 1:47 pm

BarNuck wrote:
"throw in the towel" what?!?!

NGN has given you perfect workout advise, as well as perfect advise on not being so negative. It sounds like your ready to give up at this point.

haha yeah I think hes got the message.

Tired_out. I dare you to change your name to PushupMaster and fulfill your destiny!
Back to top Go down
Emachine

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm

haha yeah I think hes got the message.

Tired_out. I dare you to change your name to PushupMaster and fulfill your destiny![/quote]

Do it!

Push-ups question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question Empty

Back to top Go down

Push-ups question
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bar-barians :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: