Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Push-ups question

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Push-ups master

Push-ups question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

BarNuck wrote:
"throw in the towel" what?!?!

NGN has given you perfect workout advise, as well as perfect advise on not being so negative. It sounds like your ready to give up at this point.

Did you stop reading or continue on to my further posts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

BarNuck wrote:
haha yeah I think hes got the message.

Tired_out. I dare you to change your name to PushupMaster and fulfill your destiny!

Do it! [/quote]

There you go, NGN.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:11 pm

soccerguy wrote:
http://bar-barians.forumotion.com/t5083-pushu-ups-routine

Interesting post. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm

This thread puts a smile on my face. Lovin it!

Good job Pushups Master, keep it up! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soccerguy

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Push-ups master you should start a training log
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 am

soccerguy wrote:
Push-ups master you should start a training log

I'm keeping a personal log.
Suffice to say, I've put out 876 push-ups and 294 chin-ups over the past 5 days. This is in comparison to the 510 push-ups and 150 chin-ups I was doing before, over a 5 day period.
This GTG thing is easier on me psychologically, since I'm not going to failure. The only drawback is that it takes all day to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Well, in one week I've improved my push-ups to failure reps from 21 to 25. A 19% improvement in a week isn't bad at all, I'd say.
Chin-ups were a little more difficult to get an increase out of though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Nice work pushupman! Keep at it. BTW GTG doesnt take all day it is something you do throughout the day. has a more positive ring to it, doesnt it?

Start doing 16 per set now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

NGN wrote:
Nice work pushupman! Keep at it. BTW GTG doesnt take all day it is something you do throughout the day. has a more positive ring to it, doesnt it?

Start doing 16 per set now.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Yes, you're right about it being done throughout the day. I'll readjust my thinking on that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Today I feel some minor aching in my biceps and triceps (particularly the left arm, for some reason). There's also a little in my lats and delts too. Should I rest or is it okay to GTG today also? My concern is that I don't want to tear down recovering muscle tissue. I want to get stronger, not weaker.
What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Keep going. minor soreness is ok to push thru. Even major soreness even.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 pm

NGN wrote:
Keep going. minor soreness is ok to push thru. Even major soreness even.

Excellent. I was hoping it would be all right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I guess I'm going to have to take it easy for a bit. I can feel triceps tendonitis developing.
Damn it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Push-ups master wrote:
I guess I'm going to have to take it easy for a bit. I can feel triceps tendonitis developing.
Damn it.

Yeah go ahead and take the weekend off. You deserve it!
I think the elbow pain is not tendonitis but rather some inflammation of tendons getting stronger.
I neglected to give you some dietary advice to go along with the training advice.
Definitely need dietary and supplement support to promote fast healing of muscles and joints.
If not taking these start immediately and you should be feeling much better in a few days

Fish oil or Krill oil(better) 1.5g epa/.75g dha minimum dose daily
Turmeric 1/4 tsp daily at minimum
Ginger 4oz fresh juice daily
lots of fresh fruit and veggies

Foods to limit or eliminate intake of:
red meats unless grass fed
Dairy unless raw from grass fed
refined grains and flour
sugar

This will help heal you fast and get you on track.

do yourself a favor and google inflammatory foods and anti-inflammatory foods also acidic foods and alkaline foods.

inflammatory is bad
anti-inflammatory is good

acidic is bad (some acidic foods are necessary like meats)
alkaline is good

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 12:46 am

NGN wrote:
Push-ups master wrote:
Damn it.

Yeah go ahead and take the weekend off. You deserve it!
I think the elbow pain is not tendonitis but rather some inflammation of tendons getting stronger.
I neglected to give you some dietary advice to go along with the training advice.
Definitely need dietary and supplement support to promote fast healing of muscles and joints.
If not taking these start immediately and you should be feeling much better in a few days

Fish oil or Krill oil(better) 1.5g epa/.75g dha minimum dose daily
Turmeric 1/4 tsp daily at minimum
Ginger 4oz fresh juice daily
lots of fresh fruit and veggies

Foods to limit or eliminate intake of:
red meats unless grass fed
Dairy unless raw from grass fed
refined grains and flour
sugar

This will help heal you fast and get you on track.

do yourself a favor and google inflammatory foods and anti-inflammatory foods also acidic foods and alkaline foods.

inflammatory is bad
anti-inflammatory is good

acidic is bad (some acidic foods are necessary like meats)
alkaline is good

I hope you're right about it not being tendonitis. About a year and a half ago, I went through a bout of medial epicondylitis and this feels similar, except in a slightly different location.
As for taking time off, I went through 5 days of GTG and took Monday and Tuesday off. I've only gone through 2 days of the new cycle and I'm off again. This is maddening.

I already take Omega 3 oil (derived from sardines and anchovies) in the amount of 300 mg of EPA and 200 mg of DHA, 3 times daily. I can increase that to 5 times daily, if necessary.
Turmeric is a good idea, since I have some in my cupboard I had forgotten about.
I'll have to look around for ginger juice.
Fruits and vegetables are a challenge to eat enough of. I do eat blueberries and Brussels sprouts almost daily though.
I also take 250 mg of alpha lipoic acid daily, which is a potent anti-inflammatory antioxidant. I also supplement with many others, such as Co-Q10, vitamin K2, vitamin D3, vitamin C, vitamin E, and B-complex.

I'm cognizant of the acid-alkaline issue, although I haven't studied in intensely. To that end, I take 2 Tbsp. of unfiltered, unpasteurized ACV daily, mixed with water.

I tried just doing chin-ups today, thinking I could GTG on that alone, and my elbows were sore with that even (almost as if the medial epicondylitis were trying to make a comeback). Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:01 am

I get the ginger root for .99/lb at the grocery. Gotta juice it fresh.

I can hardly diagnose you since I am not a doctor was just thinkin the best. I hope that is the case anyway.

Turmeric will do wonders. along with ginger.
also get some bromelain and take between meals. with meals is great too but works different than when taken between meals.

I am no expert and am certainly opinionated but I seem to have found some things that really work.

I also just started with hemp oil, a suggestion from Ironloo. hes the one that got me onto ginger and maca root. Ginger, turmeric, and maca all tubers that kick a$$.

If you can get sun everyday drop VitD sups. having your body make it is way more effective.

Get Vits from whole food sources. like powdered acerola cherry for your VitC. I dont think much of vit pills as they just seem to turn my piss yellow. When I get vits from food they are all absorbed.

is coQ-10 ubiquinol or ubiquinone? Ubiquinone is ineffective for 75% of people
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:48 am

NGN wrote:
I get the ginger root for .99/lb at the grocery. Gotta juice it fresh.

I can hardly diagnose you since I am not a doctor was just thinkin the best. I hope that is the case anyway.

Turmeric will do wonders. along with ginger.
also get some bromelain and take between meals. with meals is great too but works different than when taken between meals.

I am no expert and am certainly opinionated but I seem to have found some things that really work.

I also just started with hemp oil, a suggestion from Ironloo. hes the one that got me onto ginger and maca root. Ginger, turmeric, and maca all tubers that kick a$$.

If you can get sun everyday drop VitD sups. having your body make it is way more effective.

Get Vits from whole food sources. like powdered acerola cherry for your VitC. I dont think much of vit pills as they just seem to turn my piss yellow. When I get vits from food they are all absorbed.

is coQ-10 ubiquinol or ubiquinone? Ubiquinone is ineffective for 75% of people

The Co-Q10 is ubiquinone. I've heard ubiquinol is unstable and degrades fairly quickly (hence its higher price).
How do you get much juice out of ginger? I've bought ginger before and it didn't seem very juicy, so it must be a challenge to get enough juice to fill a glass. How do you do it without a machine?
The vitamin C seems to work well for me. I've been taking it for over ten years and I never get sick.
I hear what you're saying about vitamin D and sunshine, but I rarely get enough and I live in a northern latitude.

I just got up on the chin-up bar and did a few chins without as much discomfort as before, so maybe I'm all right on that front.

Do you know anything about abdominal/waist fat? It seems like I should be burning this stuff off like crazy, but there it sits...almost mocking me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 am

Leangains.com will cut the fat off quick.

Ive got a 10 yr old jack lalane juicer still goin strong. Lot more juice in ginger than u think.

Ubiquinol is more potent. Something like 8x more effective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:16 am

Yeah, that's an interesting site, NGN. Lots of material there.

Well, I went back to GTG today strictly for push-ups only. I have a very minor case of medial epicondylitis on my left elbow that I'm treating with tendon massage, ice, and lots of fish oil and turmeric. This prevents me from doing the chin-ups for a bit, since I don't want to aggravate it and have it sideline me for a longer period of time.
Anyway, I did 242 push-ups today, but the feeling wasn't quite the same. My arms are a lot more tender than they were last week and I'm not getting that good amount of hypertrophy afterward. I think I've crossed the line into over-training, as ridiculous as that may seem.
I've lost 1.8 lbs since December 5, but suspect some of that was lost muscle (which I strenuously want to avoid).
After I did my GTG today, I did a quick failure test and could only get up to 21 (which takes me back to square one, I guess).
My resting heart rate is around 76-80 b.p.m., whereas my normal resting rate is in the 60s. Lately I've been experiencing insomnia too. I'm also moody to the extreme at times.
Sounds like over-training, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 5:48 am

Sounds like you're trying to blame it on over training for sure.

A 1.8lb weight loss is nothing, you fluctuate more than that throughout the day. Things that could cause you to have lost that... did you measure at the same time of day,when you last drank, when you last went to the toilet, if and how much you had eaten previously...

It is nigh on impossible for you to lose muscle from your workout.

Hitting failure at the same reps as you did 2 weeks ago AFTER a days GTG is good, try when fresh and you should see an improvement.

Being sore isn't unusual, take a days rest and try again. Or just keep on training, i normally find the soreness disappears after the first couple of sets.

I'm not sure you understand what hypertrophy is, or i'm missing something, but you wont see an increase in muscle size straight away. It can actually be very hard for you to see your own progress as you see yourself everyday. If you are meaning the 'pumped' feeling you get after a workout, that is just blood filling your muscles. If you practice, the body gets more efficient and this gets less anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean with your resting heart rate is 76-80 and 60.
But heart rate is very susceptible to many things, anxiousness is one of the biggest. But proximity of training, eating, sleeping etc all have an effect.

Insomnia also has many causes, and given the rest of this thread i'd bet anxiety is among the top reasons. The insomnia would also be an obvious cause of your mood swings.

To try and help with the insomnia, try not using computers/tv/phone 1hour before bed, do something relaxing, read a book (not on any electronic device, the strength of light emanating can have an impact), have a bath, listen to relaxing music (not speed metal ;-) )

fnc1a1

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Tim wrote:

You think he's blaming it on something that's imaginary?
What else would cause medial epicondylitis? The Easter bunny?
I've had that myself and it wasn't something that just popped up out of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 pm

fnc1a1 wrote:
Tim wrote:

I've had that myself and it wasn't something that just popped up out of nowhere.

No, I question his diagnosis of over training, especially given the pessimistic view of the first few posts. Medial epiconylitis can be caused by a few things as well. Its an inflammation of a tendon, direct injury is the obvious one. Infection. This is also on the assumption that it was a professional diagnosis of medial epicondylitis and the severity of it is another factor. It could be other things that give pain in the elbow, or could be just soreness.

Push-ups master

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 1:17 am

Tim wrote:
fnc1a1 wrote:
Tim wrote:

No, I question his diagnosis of over training, especially given the pessimistic view of the first few posts. Medial epiconylitis can be caused by a few things as well. Its an inflammation of a tendon, direct injury is the obvious one. Infection. This is also on the assumption that it was a professional diagnosis of medial epicondylitis and the severity of it is another factor. It could be other things that give pain in the elbow, or could be just soreness.

Let's not all argue now.
I'd appreciate it though if you wouldn't doubt my diagnosis on the epicondylitis. I know full-well what it feels like and, the last time I tried to push through it and ignore the pain, it caused tendonitis that took about 5 months or so to heal.
Heck, I even diagnosed myself the last time it happened and then went into the physiotherapist and he told me that my self-diagnosis was correct.
I know my body and I'm no slouch when it comes to physiology.
As for your concentration on my earlier posts, it's funny you never looked beyond that. Maybe I have to go back and delete those altogether.
To be clear, I don't like being sidelined. I want to hit that chin-up bar and do them like crazy. I want to push out as many push-ups as I can as well. Having said that, I know that it takes a bit of adaptation along the way and, if one pushes too hard, injury may result. It would be stupidity for me to ignore the elbow warning signs, based on my previous experience, and just go all macho and blow my elbows out completely. What does that accomplish?
When I ask questions in here, I'm looking for helpful advice. I'm sure not looking to be frowned upon and have assumptions made.
NGN was giving me some good tips, but he must be away today.
If you're trying to be helpful, I do appreciate it. It just seems that you opened up a little edgy there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NGN

NGN

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 am

Hey Pushupsmaster,

If you really think that the elbow issue is what you said, I suggest giving the pushup movement a rest for a bit. Use Ice, turmeric, fish oil, ginger. Turmeric is very important.

Its not the best to just use one movement anyway. This doesnt really have to sideline you either. Take this opportunity to try other exercises or hand positions that dont aggravate your elbow. there is so much more to do than pushups, pull ups and chins.

Hit legs and core hard, sprint, run, swim, squats, planks, leg raises, lunges. Try other push movements to see how your elbow feels like overhead presses of anything heavy, dips and others.

Have fun and you will heal soon.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 am

Push-ups master wrote:

Let's not all argue now.
I'd appreciate it though if you wouldn't doubt my diagnosis on the epicondylitis. I know full-well what it feels like and, the last time I tried to push through it and ignore the pain, it caused tendonitis that took about 5 months or so to heal.
Heck, I even diagnosed myself the last time it happened and then went into the physiotherapist and he told me that my self-diagnosis was correct.
I know my body and I'm no slouch when it comes to physiology.
As for your concentration on my earlier posts, it's funny you never looked beyond that. Maybe I have to go back and delete those altogether.
To be clear, I don't like being sidelined. I want to hit that chin-up bar and do them like crazy. I want to push out as many push-ups as I can as well. Having said that, I know that it takes a bit of adaptation along the way and, if one pushes too hard, injury may result. It would be stupidity for me to ignore the elbow warning signs, based on my previous experience, and just go all macho and blow my elbows out completely. What does that accomplish?
When I ask questions in here, I'm looking for helpful advice. I'm sure not looking to be frowned upon and have assumptions made.
NGN was giving me some good tips, but he must be away today.
If you're trying to be helpful, I do appreciate it. It just seems that you opened up a little edgy there.

Hey, sorry my last most did come off a bit defensive didn't it :-) .
I generally take a pinch of salt with most people's self diagnosis because thanks to the internet it's real easy for anyone to become a 'doctor' and you get a lot of people hearing hoof beats and going ZEBRA! when it's just a horse :-) . However it wasn't the ME I was initially questioning, I was just giving alternative causes for it since it's not necessarily related to overuse from push/pull movements. It could be due to the amount of grip training since that's the point all your finger tendons join, or it could be swelling from a direct injury... no warm up, jarred etc.

I had seen you do a complete 180 on your view point, although when you talked about over training I thought you might be sliding back into old habits as it were, feeling pessimistic about things when the reasons might be completely different. For instance, joining unrelated effects together such as weight loss and assuming it was muscle loss. Hopefully my first post was a bit more helpful, but maybe a bit too much 'tough' love ;-).

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Push-ups question   Push-ups question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Push-ups question
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next