Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

L-Seat form

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buckman

Buckman

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

hi how can i improve my form on L-Seat? i am practicing it on push up handles, does width of grip matters?

also can any other exercises help me to get my form better, i am doing lying leg raises and crunches with straight legs in superset

i can hold l-seat but either my legs drop or i am leaning back when my legs are parallel with ground
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 12:35 pm

IIRC (from the BB seminars in November) the best width is the length of your forearm (from elbow) plus one fist. So a bit wider than shoulder width.

I guess you don't have access to a pull-up bar or p-bars? Because leg raises on both of them will help a lot too. Doing them on the floor doesn't give you the same ROM and the extra strength you'll need to stabilise yourself if you're hanging.

To get better just do them more. Sounds obvious but there you go! Get a timer for your phone, hold for, say, 10s, then take a rest for two minutes or whatever and try again. Aim to increase your time - really push yourself.

It takes a long time to build up the strength so don't get discouraged Smile

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Buckman

Buckman

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:54 pm

thanks for fast response, i dont have parallel bars
stopped doing half hanging leg raises but i will start doing them again, core is much stronger now

so doing them on floor have no point when i can do them hanging?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

Fi

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 4:55 pm

I think doing them on the floor is probably harder than doing them hanging! But you'll build up strength faster by doing both.

I do them on the pull-up bar and can get my feet to hands, but on the p-bars I can get to about a good V-sit position. I think the p-bars work your back more, whereas pull-up bars use different muscles.

View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
Cvok

Cvok

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 7:27 am

If you don't have PB get a chair with handle like this ONE So you can lift yourself up . If you still can't do the proper L sit with your legs fully extended I suggest that you start with tuck variation which looks like
this

When you get comfortable with that position, I'm talking here about 50-60 sec clean hold , move on to harder variation with your legs extended but not parallel to the floor . They should be at some 45 degrees . Like This

. When you're done with that you probably should be able to hold a proper L-sit everywhere , like floor, PB's, Rings, Pull up bar. etc Smile

Emachine

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 12:24 am

Do them on the good old fashioned floor, that is what I started doing them on, now transferring over to bars is very easy. Its also what is reccomended on beastskills, because of what Fi mentioned, floor is harder.

Buckman

Buckman

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 am

i know its harder, wanted to do solid hold on handles and switch to pull up bar and floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Tim

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Stretch!

This is one of the most important things in L-sits and often overlooked.

To have good form, and to get decent endurance you actually need pretty good flexibility. So stretch hamstrings and quads before practicing them Smile.

(And as the other's have said L-sit on the floor is quite hard as you really don't have any room to make mistakes!)

Jono

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Just learn on the floor. That's what I did.

Start with a really tucked version and focus on fully locking our your arms so that your butt isn't touching the floor. Let's say you can do 5 secs really tucked - work your way up to say 20 secs at the level of tuck. Then untuck a bit more - it'll be your 5 sec hold max again. Repeat process until full L-sit is achieved.

Once that's done, parallel bar L-sits will feel really easy. However, there is a harder variation where you keep your back perfectly straight, but that's for another time.

Floor is harder because the floor is there to make you fail, so you can't let your butt sag loose into the space that shouldn't be there like with push-up handles or parallel bars.

On the note of flexibility, mine is pretty bad, so you don't need that much. It's likely mistakened for lack of strength in holding that straight leg position. I have trouble touching my toes with straight legs for more than a few secs without feeling stressed, and can only reach mid-shin if not warmed up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Tim

Tim

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Flexibility might not quite be the word I was looking for, but if your hamstrings are tight you aren't going to get a good L-sit for any reasonable length of time.

Sponsored content

L-Seat form Empty
PostSubject: Re: L-Seat form   L-Seat form Empty

Back to top Go down

L-Seat form
Page 1 of 1