Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BarWork

Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg Empty
PostSubject: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:40 am

Hey guys, just wondering if there is any one else here like me thats tryin to get into calis with my body proportions.
I am 1.98 m in height and whey 97kg right now.
Been tryin to get into calis for a while now but its been rly hard due to my height and weight.
Not planning to loose weight at all since i am rather muscular alrdy.
I can do like 13 goodform pullups, 6 momentum muscle ups, 32 pushups, 25 dips, 4 frontlevers for reps. Other then that I am rly stuck at the whole bodyweight thing. Cant do any shoulder work for example. Handstands and getting up to handstand from dip possition seems impossible.

So im wondering if there is any one here on the forum thats like me(over 200pounds), struggeling with progression or thats just really good at bodyweight training.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 12:02 pm

you have good starting numbers.. (me starting 86kg @ 172 cm)

just create a good routine, give body some time to adapt for bodyweight training if you were doing weights before

and dont forget to rest and eat well Smile look in Training routines section, mainly the beginners thread and training logs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarWork

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Im not even sure if its possible to progress that much with this weight. If I wanna get stronger for more advanced moves, Im gonna have to gain more muscle, equals more weight to carry, equals harder to preforme the move;S
Its a evil circle...
Buckman how much do you weigh right now? And how good are you at the whole bodyweight thing?Smile Can u do any handstand pushups, and plaches on the dip bar for instance? Thats what I find to be most hard for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 1:53 pm

weight: around 75kg, christmas is hard, minimum of healthy food Sad

i dont think if i can help you in detail because i still consider myself as beginner .. i dont have any dip bars, so i am hitting hard bench dips instead

but for moves, i can hold handstand for few sec
and train for back/front lever

if you have strength for this moves it will be easier but it takes a lot of practise and good technique

you dont need more muscle, more heavy you are more difficult the move is

for instance you can look at LittlebeastM, he is/was heavy and and was doing alot of weighted handstand push ups, planche push ups etc..

this forum has many experienced members so i hope anyone will help you create a routine etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarWork

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:16 am

So there is no one else here on the forum that is over 200pounds?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClinicalRabbit

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm 220. In order to build muscle you need to be within the muscle building range, anymore than 12 reps i think it is is considered muscular endurance. Do low rep workouts but high sets. Examples being 10 sets of 10 push ups etc etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 6:33 am

When you do calisthenics forget about everything hear i.e fitness/bodybuilding industry which is 2-5 reps for strength, 8-12 for hypertrophy, and 15+ for endurance. E.g do a pyramid and you'll see that you'll gain strength, endurance, and mass so dont focus on rep ranges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarWork

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 7:10 am

@ClinicalRabbit
Right now im mainly interested in building more strenght in bodyweight movements. For instance planche, handstandwork, slow muscle ups and front levers etc.
So how advanced are u with this whole calis thing m8?: )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClinicalRabbit

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyFri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

BarWork wrote:
@ClinicalRabbit
Right now im mainly interested in building more strenght in bodyweight movements. For instance planche, handstandwork, slow muscle ups and front levers etc.
So how advanced are u with this whole calis thing m8?: )

I'm out of the game at the moment, had a bum knee so rehabbing it for after christmas. But when i was training i could hold a handstand for 60 seconds, could perform 60 clean push ups at once, 25 dips and 10 wide grip pull ups. Because we're both tall (i'm 6 ft 4) mastering moves will take a hell of a lot longer than someone who is smaller, this is due to longer joints, bodies,more weight to move etc. Just constantly stick to an exercise that you consider difficult with consistency and you'll progress. After christmas i plan to start learning front levers and muscle ups as short-mid term goals, but if i were you i'd make the planche a long term one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BLKB

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 4:35 pm

BarWork wrote:
So there is no one else here on the forum that is over 200pounds?!

6'5", 250 pounds. 25 pounds of that is lard though.

Your numbers are well better than mine so respect. The only thing I'd point out is watch your back, big guys suffer from it, and if you spend your day at a desk or environment that's designed for someone 8" smaller you'll go into your workout already with bad posture. Calisthenics is great for a healthy back, just do lots of core work to protect the lower back, push/pull opposing muscles to protect the shoulders and upper back (if you're aiming for one particular move remember to work out the opposing muscles too), and don't skip warm ups and mobility work (stretches) no matter how busy you are.

Hope something helps, cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarWork

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 8:09 am

It do happens that I "Ego lift" and try to do something without being properly warmed up etc and it usualy leads to me injuring my self. So thank you for pointing that out. I know the importance especially for uss heavy guys to warm up but dont always do it.
Its rather hard to progress for me also since I am stuck in the bodybuilding with weights training methods and science. For instance always giving each muscle group atleast 48h of rest. But lots of the really strong calisthenics people do pullups everyday for instance. I have trouble getting over the science part of bodybuilding where the muscle indeed need time to recover. Since the muscle dont have enough time to rebuild it self when doin same moves almost everyday, I am afraid I will loose my muscle training this way that i worked so hard to build;S
Maby its just something I need to get over if I want to become stronger at bodyweight moves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg   Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg Empty

Back to top Go down

Bodyweight training for tall and heavy people! Over 200pounds/92kg
Page 1 of 1