Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
triggerman12

pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? Empty
PostSubject: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:19 am

hey guys, i didnt end up getting weights for christmas (no big deal though)
so im wondering should i invest in a 300 lb olympic barbell set or a pullup bar that i can do muscle ups on im still trying to find out because this stuff is pretty expensive. i want a barbell set for deadlifts because i want to try them because i never done them before.

if you guys can help me decide or give me opinions or pros and cons of each one so i can put them all together and figure out wich to get i greatly appreciate it and MERRY CHRISTMAS (iknow its a day late hehe).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:05 am

you can build your own pull up bar and invest in plates, but it very depends from your area

if you dont have "anything" to do pull ups on and cant build yourself go for that if you are serious with bodyweight training
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mushu505

mushu505

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Pull-up bar unless u don't want to go in the calisthenics direction and prefer weights, but I recommend calisthenics all the way. Btw if u choose the barbell set then do basic powerlifting excersises like overhead press squat dead lift and bench press... But make sure u learn how to do each excersise with correct form!! Very important especially on the dead lifts and squats. Plus make sure u start light to learn the movement
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michael

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Go with the weight set and find a branch or something else to do your pullups on. This way you get both. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
triggerman12

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptyThu Dec 27, 2012 1:01 am

ok, i just got a 300lb olympic weight set and i do have a door pullup bar that ive been using. the max pullups i can do is 17 with moderate speed.

im thinking about doing barbell excersises just for legs because i like doing weighted calisthenics for upper body.

i want to get strong overall but i also want some speed. does anyone know a good leg routine with barbell and dumbbells and a 100lb weight vest (i still cant wear the whole 100lbs because i dont want to hurt myself)?

IM SOO FREAKIN HAPPY I BOUGHT THIS OLYMPIC WEIGHT SET =)
its my first one ever!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClinicalRabbit

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 12:20 am

triggerman12 wrote:
ok, i just got a 300lb olympic weight set and i do have a door pullup bar that ive been using. the max pullups i can do is 17 with moderate speed.

im thinking about doing barbell excersises just for legs because i like doing weighted calisthenics for upper body.

i want to get strong overall but i also want some speed. does anyone know a good leg routine with barbell and dumbbells and a 100lb weight vest (i still cant wear the whole 100lbs because i dont want to hurt myself)?

IM SOO FREAKIN HAPPY I BOUGHT THIS OLYMPIC WEIGHT SET =)
its my first one ever!

If i were you i'd get used to squatting alone with the 100lb vest. Do lunges and squats and Glute hamstring raises if you're able to do them, then add an extra day of solely barbell training for your legs, but remember to research and practice form using light weight. In regards to speed the best thing would be to perform training exercises that require explosiveness such as sprinting or squat thrusts. But i wouldn't recommend doing those no more than once a week for the first three months due to the high stress nature these will have on the joints. Good luck with your aims.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?   pullup bar or barbell with weight plates? Empty

Back to top Go down

pullup bar or barbell with weight plates?
Page 1 of 1