Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3 exercises only, what would they be and why?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ironloo

ironloo

3 exercises only, what would they be and why? Empty
PostSubject: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 1:49 pm

If you were to pick 3 exercises for the rest of your life what would they be and why. Mine would be Pullup-Dip-Squat. The pullup is enough to work the major pulling muscles plus its fun, the dip will work all the major pushing muscles and keep the pull/push balance,last i would pick the squat either body weight or with weight added they are your base and without it you are not as strong as you can be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 2:10 pm

I'd pick muscle-up, squat and deadlift. The muscle up because you kill two birds with one stone cause you'd get the pulling and the pushing so it hits the whole upper body, the squat will take care of your legs and the deadlift because its a whole body exercise + they're fun to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
giallocalisthenics

giallocalisthenics

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 4:59 pm

I would choose pull-ups/muscle-ups (i can't discard one of them), push-ups because is my favourite exercise and i love them, and squat because leg training is fundamental.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/giallocalisthenics
mushu505

mushu505

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Squats muscle ups and front levers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mahalkobalisongs

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 7:04 pm

muscle ups for my arms because its both a pull up and a dip plank because its a fun thing for the abs running because its the best exercise ever cheers bounce elephant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
garythenuke

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm

I agree with Ironloo with the pullups and dips. If I had access to weight I would do deadlifts rather than squats. If there was no weight it would be body squats. Those of you who pick muscleups, can you do enough of them to totally fatigue your pulling and pushing muscles? It seems so technique centered that you will lose your ability to complete the full exercise before your are truly fatigued.
But maybe that's because I can't do sets and sets of them...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm

garythenuke Exactly my reason, the muscle up is amazing but its also a different type of pull then the traditional pullup.Also the push at the top of the muscle up is minimal most people that are explosive are already at the top so its a tiny push till lockout. So this way you can do 500 pullups work the back fully, then 500 dips to work the push fully. I didn't pick deadlifts because they work the legs but not through full range like squats they are a hamstring dominant exercises.The deadlift is also a major pulling exercise i figured i get most of that from the pullups, so i picked squats for the major leg exercise. But i like deadlifts better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Pullups, Pushups and Handstand Pushups Very Happy

Pullups are just awesome, I think the best feeling is when you have your chest out a bit and you feel the Lats engaging. I just like them. And they're such a complete exercise.

Pushups, as there are so many variations to work chest and triceps, altough I love Dips. But Pushups are just more variegated.

Handstand pushups are killer ^_^ I'm still mastering them.

SIMBA

SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Good thing we're not limited to 3 exercises though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
soccerguy

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

am i the only one who thinks we need something abs legs and arms?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vibe95

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 pm

pullups (all vaiartions)
pushups (all variations)
squats (all variations)
i hope each variation doesn't count as 1 exercise lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
garythenuke

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 am

soccerguy wrote:
am i the only one who thinks we need something abs legs and arms?
We sure do.
You can do L-sit chins and L-sit dips to get the stomach.. If you are doing dips on rings it's even better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bgshek0

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 5:00 am

Pull ups and dips are must. I would only switch squats with running but this is because my favourite thing is to go out and run-jog, spirnt w/e i enjoy every variations so much. While running I feel alive and the constant battle with my inner voice trying to discourage me everytime- I love that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MacKay

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 7:37 am

probably pullup-bench press-squat, ive heard that adding too much weight to dips is really bad for the shoulders. If i had to use them for the rest of my life id want to continue to add weight haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
garythenuke

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 12:42 pm

MacKay wrote:
probably pullup-bench press-squat, ive heard that adding too much weight to dips is really bad for the shoulders. If i had to use them for the rest of my life id want to continue to add weight haha

Adding lots of weight to dips is far more safe to your shoulders than bench pressing. Weighted dips were a mainstay of huge and strong men for a very long time. I'll have to find my sources to cite, but I've read in various places that -heavy- weighted dips are the "Squat of the upper body". Actually that may have been somewhere on Iron Mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mrpullup2

mrpullup2

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm

I would say pull ups, push ups, and high box step-ups, and either weight or body weight for all of them.

Pull ups are very complete and powerful excersice. There are so many variations of them as well and do a lot for both strength, endurance and size.

Push ups too are very good, but there are also hundreds of variations of them. And adding weight makes them insane! You can do all kinds of drills, challenges, and sets.

High box step-ups are wicked! I find they are easier on the knees than normal squats, but extremely powerful. They have drastically improved my lower body strength alone.

All work the core, and again, adding weight to all of them is insane and very beneficial.

View user profile
blue hefner

blue hefner

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 4:06 pm

(hill)Sprints- whole lowerbody,great for muscle mass + power/explosive
Pullups- whole back, adjust leverage and you have a great core exercise too
Dips- to keep pull/push balance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? EmptyTue Jan 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Nice one blue, good reason with the hill sprints they are great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3 exercises only, what would they be and why?   3 exercises only, what would they be and why? Empty

Back to top Go down

3 exercises only, what would they be and why?
Page 1 of 1