Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lolek

Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months Empty
PostSubject: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Whats up guys Im looking to gain about 15-20lb of muscle mass in maybe about 2-3 months what do you all think is that possible ?

Im looking to bulk up a little currently i am 5'11 or maybe even 6ft and weigh 168lb I want to be around 185-190.

I started to eat every 2-3 hours to get more calories in.

Soo this is what Im thinking my routine should be but some help and opinions would be nice.

Mon - heavy legs (squats 5x5, weighted Lunges 5x5)
Tues - Heavy push (HSPU 5x5, Weighted dips 5x5, Weighted Push ups 5x5)
Wed - heavy legs (weighted sled push 5x3, weighted Bulgarian split squats 5x5)
Thurs- Heavy pull (Weighted pull ups 5x5, weighted rows 5x5, weighted flies 5x5)
Fri - Heavy legs (deadlift 5x5, weighted pistol squats 5x5,)
sat - light pull/push routine volume training. (push ups / pull ups)
sun - off

something like that what does everyone think of this ? I figured i would try the 5 sets x 5 reps as i read while ago and seems like is a pretty common set/rep range so ima give it a go and see how it works out for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

csaba

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 am

if by "muscle mass" you mean fat, then sure you can do it. if you mean muscle, then no, that's not physically possible, sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 am

well a combination of both is what i mean by muscle mass, obviously its not just gona be pure lean muscle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mushu505

mushu505

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:05 am

don't have a time limit set. Train hard eat right have fun and ull gain muscle. I really don't recommend the whole bodybuilding bulking phase cus I'm telling u now if u do succeed its gonna be mostly fat, and u will get nowhere. If u want the answer ur looking for go ask in the bodybuilding forum. Hope I helped Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 am

You can last yr. around this time i was 170-175 right now im 190-195 still kept the abs but when gaining don't worry about them too much. On your routine i would do 1 day of 5x5 for upper and for lower. You will also need to add in 1 high volume & medium volume session for deadlifts/squats/upper body calis.

The 20 rep squats routine is very good on ironmid.com

You diet will play huge role too, if you don't leave your workout like you fought 10 grizzlys then the gains will come slower, if you don't cry during squats deadlifts, get dizzy can't see,actuall puddle of sweat, throwup,? yourself then its not hard enough those are good symptoms to me the doctor will tell you different i ditched doctors a while ago. I get butterflies like before a fight every workout, cause i know i got to beat the last one, and the last one i barely got.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks guys, and Im not limiting myself to 3 months to gain that much I was just wondering if that was possible. I think in 3 months i might gain more like 4-6lb of muscle but either way im in it for the long term.

Ironloo so you are saying I should do a day with upper and lower body together ? As for volume training on saturday would be my upper body volume routine. For the legs I was thinking once the weight I do is to easy I would alternate and do heavy squats one week and a volume deadlift session, then the next week I would do volume squats and heavy dead lifts, something like that.

Il see how it works out cause this would be my morning routine and then evenings around 6pm got MMA for 2-3 hours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm

As somene else said, I think that amount of pure Muscle? Impossible. Otherwise everyone would be fucking Ronnie Coleman round here.

I trained Calisthenics for 3 months, dedicated, and ate much more than I used to bulk, and not s**t, but protein foods and things. I gained about 10 Lbs, but I guess only 6 would be Muscle, you need Extra 'Meat' in you to have the muscle take what they want to grow, the rest is extra meat/fat, not necessarily bad if you're Fit already, I'm an ectomorph so it's alright. Doesn't really show.

Anyhow, good luck anyway, but I wouldn't say 'Sky's the limit' or some optimistic bullshit. Be happy if you even Gain one damn Ounce of Muscle, that's my opinion. Work hard and feel good about it, for You.

Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Hell yeah man, thinking about starting this routine on monday, that is if I feel better been sick for a few days s**t sucks. I also figured i might throw in a core work out on saturday to go with my light push/pull day then sunday off or maybe il train some static moves at least thats the plan lol gotta see how I feel after the first week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elite-Bars

Elite-Bars

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Lolek wrote:
Hell yeah man, thinking about starting this routine on monday, that is if I feel better been sick for a few days s**t sucks. I also figured i might throw in a core work out on saturday to go with my light push/pull day then sunday off or maybe il train some static moves at least thats the plan lol gotta see how I feel after the first week.

Best of luck sir! And hope you get well soon Smile

I feel ya, literally, when I'm ill it truly sucks like hell. Not being able to workout or do anything, it's terrible!

Drink much fresh water, have fresh fruit and rest Wink Always helps I guess Very Happy

ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 pm

! day upper body and lower together.

Then 1 day all lowerbody high volume tho u can't do only 5x5. Try ex: 225lbs squat 10 sets x 25 reps. lunges 100lbs 10 sets x 20 reps

Then 1 day all upper body high volume ex: 10 sets pullups x 25 reps, 10 sets dips x 45 reps.

These set/rep ranges shock the body.

When u do squats pick a weight u can only get 10, but shoot for 20 if you don't get 20.Then stay at that weight till 5 x 20 reps to build up to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

ahh I see alright cool man thanks for the advice, I will mix it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm

It's definitely possible to gain that amount of bodyweight in the given time frame, but it isn't obviously going to be pure lean muscle mass.
You have to keep in mind that the added weight is mainly going to consist of muscle, fat, water & glycogen.
I've started bulking on 07/10/2012 and weighed in yesterday 21lbs heavier. As a result I've absolutely got fatter and lost definition. But as Ironloo already mentioned you shouldn't worry to much about your abs when bulking. For me personally there are two reasons supporting this statement: 1.)it's way easier for me to lose fat than to gain bodyweight/muscle 2.)it's winter time, so it isn't that important to look shredded and you have plenty of time to drop fat towards summer time.

That's my insight into this whole bulking thing. Are there any questions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 1:23 am

Sounds like a plan to me yeah Im not to worried about not having defined abs to be honest I dont even know if ima gain much because of MMA training but il let you guys know how it goes.

Also I got one more question Im thinking about working out around 6am and I figured il work out on and empty stomach maybe take some bcaa's and then after the workout il have a huge breakfast, is that a good plan ? Or would it be better to eat a little before the workout and then still have a huge breakfast after it ?

I figure my last meal of the day would be a medium/big sized one at around 9-10pm and if I wake up at 6am I wont be hungry right away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 am

Fasted training will be slower gains, but more quality meaning less fat. The ones usually gaining mass amounts fast are bodybuilders. But for the sport of calis/mma you need that performance so fasted is prob better for you. Just make sure you get heavy carbs/Protein for the postworkout, if you train twice like calis morning mma at nigh have another postworkout after mma more protein less carbs for the 2nd one unless it was harder then the first session.You will get there goodluck man.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Awesome thats what I was thinking 6am work out on an empty stomach just drink water mixed with bcaa during my workout than after the work out eat, and continue eating every 2-3 hours through out the day some light/medium sized meals, then when I get home around 4ish have another bigger meal cuz right after that gonna go to mma for 2-3hrs and then come back and eat again.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lolek

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 pm

oh yeah and how often should I switch out the exercises ? I was thinking do this routing for a month or 2 and then change it up and do more volume and then come back to heavy again. How do you guys do it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months   Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking to gain 15-20lb of muscle mass in 3 months
Page 1 of 1