Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1st Muscle up ?????

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jean-sebastien

1st Muscle up ????? Empty
PostSubject: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I am curious to know how many pullups and dips you were able to do, and how many months /years experience you had when you did your first muscle up.

I weigh 185lbs
I have 8 months of trainning (3-4 months trainning seriously)
15 dips
13 pullups
23 pushups
0 muscleups (i think their is something i dont get on the pulling part) i dont see how i will get my chest over the bar other then using crazy momentum.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckman

Buckman

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 am

6+ months

12+ pull ups
45 Push Ups
20+ dips (from doing bench dips lol)

i cant do MU yet, mainly because i cant do it on my pull up bar and dont have parallel bars to do dips at home, i started overweighted tho

if you want muscle up that badly do negatives, high pull ups with kip and low bar dips
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 am

Well i started training for muscle up after 10-12 pull ups.
As backman said if u want it that much u must do negatives and high pull ups (kipping a bit is ok)
and then assisted muscle ups, i mean find a bar that u can hold with a dib bended arms while ur feet are on the ground and jump and try to muscle ups.
Its a good way but try not to injury urself.

The other way is to w8 till u get something like 16-20 pull ups also doing some weighted ones are a must to get ur strength up and be able to pull up high. And then try to learn the techinique which will be then the only problem of achiving muscle up.

Both ways are good the difference is that on 1st u try to muscle up and learn technique while u are gettign stronger generally and also on muscle up movement. The other way is to get strong basics, then advanced moves are learned easier.

Also do some straigth bar dips theyll help as muscle up contains str. bar dip.

Hope it make sense Smile

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pista1993

pista1993

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am

Well, you don't really need high rep training for muscle ups. First you need to be more explosive. In my opinion the best thing to do it is to train weighted. Stay in 3-5 rep range and aim for 3-5 sets of each exercise. When you'll get comfortable with weighted pullups, start doing lower chest to bar pullups in the same rep range, when you cen do much of them (like 10) you'll probably be able to do a muscle up. If not, add some weight to the chest to bar pull ups too. Don't forget weighted dips!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks.

Do you think front lever trainning will help build arm pit muscles for the transition phase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:24 pm

hmmm maybe yes maybe not.... best way to achieve a movement is to practice it... but generally front lever progressions will make u stronger so i guess y, but as i said dont train front lever to achive muscle up Razz

Goals: Be able to do bar-barians requirements in less than 10 mins, 10 good form one hand push ups, 15 pistols, Be able to do one hand holds on bar and controlled negatives, 1 min hanging l-sit, backlever hold for 5+ secs, advanced tucked FL for 5+ secs, advanced tucked planche for 8+secs etc etc

Long Goal (till summer): My 1st OAC,good BL hold, FL hold, bent arm planche, free handstand push ups, l-sit to handstand on handles, v-sit hold on floor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:14 am

I found this vid that explains my problem.

Search for 9V_go66Er0A. On you tube. Its called ring row progression

(admin wont let me post actual link)

Look at 3:20 he explains were people struggle with muscle up transition
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 am

Dont know maybe. Never tried it. What helped me much as was the explosive pull ups cause u learn how to use momentum wihich will help u to get ur 1st muscle up plus if u can pull high enough then transition is easy. Also weighted pull ups will build ur strength so u can go higher much easier. Finaly by doing slowly negatives will help u build this transition strength, try when on transition to squeeze the bar as much as possible cause grip helps u control the movement.
Finally jumpiing muscle ups help u realize the whole movement and that u must push ur chest forward after the pull up and helps u sunchronize it.

This is the <<fast>> way to get ur 1st muscle up IMO,

Hope it helps. BTW this is for pull ups bar muscle up, dont know about ring muscle up, cant do it...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me 1stratos1

I will take your advice and practice my explosiveness.

MUSCLE UP.......HERE I COME.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

ironloo

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Don't take this offensively but you shouldn't worry about the muscle up yet you don't need it. You got good reps for your weight but try to double them and for sets.I would train another hard year or so through the basics you will learn all moves that way much easier and less risk.

I started when doing around 20 pullups for sets, around 40 dips for sets, pushups were high don't know exact i was a little heavier than you. I helped a 50+yr. old and my friend at my old job,we did the basics daily after they increased the basics it was good too see 50+yr. old get a kipless muscle up.

I also wouldn't feel right learning it too early, its like owning/using the fully sharpened sword without learning the struggles of the bokken the wooden sword.Thats just my advice.Either way keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jean-sebastien

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 1:04 pm

No worries about offending me Ironloo.

And youre probably right. I dont even see how i will do a pullup with the false grip. Thats why im looking for tips and ideas. I realize in wont be muscleing up tomorrow. But want to get used to the extra Rom and grip with baby steps.

My explosiveness is something i need to train anyways. Muscle up or not.

By the way Your trainning style has helped me greatly step out of the bodybuilding box (3 sets of each, too many rest days.........boring)

High volume, high frequency, working out on consecutive days. This is whats working for me. Heavy days, high rep days, freestyle days (no rep or set counting. Just go with the flow) although needed i feel that counting puts mental barriers to what i can really do.

Screw overtrainning, ive never felt better in my entire life. I do take breaks here and then to let my body relax a bit. But its very hard for me not to train.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SIMBA

SIMBA

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah I wouldn't care about moves or muscle ups if I was you. When I started I only focused on destroying the basics everyday which Is what I still do because if you have a strong foundation it transfers to making moves easier and when the time came for me try my first muscle up I jumped on the bar and did about 4 MU's. So basically take care of the basics and the strength will take care of itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st Muscle up ?????   1st Muscle up ????? Empty

Back to top Go down

1st Muscle up ?????
Page 1 of 1