Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calories per Day?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jono

Calories per Day? Empty
PostSubject: Calories per Day?   Calories per Day? EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 5:06 pm

I've recently fixed my diet again (as of December 22nd, after about 2 months of lazyness), and it's helped drastically with progress.

But I've realised that while making the change, I haven't been eating as much - only around approx. 2000 calories. Exclamation As of today I've decided to move it up.

On websites it says that my BMR is approx. 1800 calories (i.e. if I did nothing but sleep all day). But then you have to factor in activity level as well, and the descriptors are a bit vague.

Desk job, little/no exercise = 2100
1-3 hours per week of light exercise = 2400
3-5 hours per week of moderate exercise = 2700
5-6 hours per week of strenuous exercise = 3000

Let's say I do some form of calisthenics every day, typically GTG/high volume, some pyramids (for endurance), as well as strength work. Which activity level does that match?

To be fair, I don't really care for gaining size or anything like that. I just want to improve performance. My goal is to have an optimal diet for getting stronger, more powerful, better endurance while keeping everything else constant.

So, how many calories should I be eating for that? 2500? 3000? 3500? 4000?

Just being OCD'ish tonight. It won't matter that much at the end of the day.

Last edited by Jono on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Michael

Calories per Day? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calories per Day?   Calories per Day? EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Quote :
To be fair, I don't really care for gaining size or anything like that. I just want to improve performance. My goal is to have an optimal diet for getting stronger, more powerful, better endurance while keeping everything else constant.

Assuming you are eating for weight maintenance. Simply track your data on how much you eat on a daily basis for a few days/weeks and divide the calorie count by the days = your rough average daily intake for weight maintenance.

A formula i like to use to estimate my caloric intake for weight maintenance is: amount in kg/lbs * 35/16 = caloric intake needed for weight maintenance.
(Worked for me at an level of activity, where i do something physically demanding every day.)

In order to perform better in training i would suggest to get the most nutritional value out of your calories, for example:
Somebody weighing 70kg needs roughly 2500 calories (according to my above mentioned formula: 2450). Now it's in his hand to chose where to get his calories from.:
a)eating like the average joe, who eats junk food on a daily basis (super easy to do)
b)eating healthy foods, lots of veggies+ fruits etc and a cheat meal every then and now for example at family reunions, parties, etc (realtively easy to do, beacause it's socially easier to do than c))
c)eating extreme strict all the time (relatively hard)

Good options for foods in my mind are:
-Meat
-Fish
-Eggs
-Veggies
-Fruits
-Nuts
-Seeds
-Berries
-Quinoa
-Buckwheat
-Amaranth
-limited amounts of diary products

If you eat these foods in the highest quality you can get/afford you are probably going to do well Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jono

Calories per Day? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calories per Day?   Calories per Day? EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks for the input.

I weigh 70kg, coincidentally. Smile I was thinking 2500 anyway, so I'll try it out. My diet has been strict the last 2-3 weeks. Very "clean" and good quality. A lot of water as well. We'll see how well I can maintain it when Uni starts again.

I just know that if I don't eat enough in general, max strength gains will either be slow or plateau prematurely, and could affect endurance if I don't get enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/reincarnate100
Sponsored content

Calories per Day? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calories per Day?   Calories per Day? Empty

Back to top Go down

Calories per Day?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Welcome to the Bar-barians Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: