Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

...alcohol... yea that stuff...

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BleHz0r

...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 pm

i didnt imply u gotta get shitfaced all the time xD
i just say that a beer here and there is nothing to worry about. or a glass of wine sometimes at lunch.
but yea. if u dont wanna or have sumtin against it then yes. by al means avoid it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MikeinTexas

PostSubject: Booze...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 pm

In 16 years of training, I have found alcohol to not only be *superb* in its benefits for muscle relaxation but serves as a "poor man's aspirin" by thinning the blood and increasing the bodies ability to repair itself after a hellacious workout ( with weights ). I see no reason why this would not be the same with bars ( but I could be wrong ).

For my clients that drink that I have always put them on a red wine diet [ i.e., one glass of red wine per night, each night, every day even on training days ]. I've found that those who do drink usually make reasonable gains.

Personally, I don't drink beer as it tends to bloat me and cause stomach pain. I switched to *HARD LIQUOR* [ vodka, gin, whiskey ] several years ago and my gains have been phenominal. I usually have one shot of vodka with a shot of regular tap water after I have gotten back in the house after training clients. During Hurricane IKE, which slammed the Gulf Coast several years ago, after the ubiquitous 'hurricane party' before we lost power ( and hence ice cubes ) we came up with a pretty mean concoction:

Hurricane Ike Martini
2 shots Grey Goose Vodka
1 shot orange juice
1 shot lime juice
1 shot fresh grapefruit juice (squeezed)
2 shots regular tap water

Mix, stir, serve with fresh fruit.....

Mick
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikestewartfitness.com
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 pm

MikeinTexas wrote:
In 16 years of training, I have found alcohol to not only be *superb* in its benefits for muscle relaxation but serves as a "poor man's aspirin" by thinning the blood and increasing the bodies ability to repair itself after a hellacious workout ( with weights ). I see no reason why this would not be the same with bars ( but I could be wrong ).

For my clients that drink that I have always put them on a red wine diet [ i.e., one glass of red wine per night, each night, every day even on training days ]. I've found that those who do drink usually make reasonable gains.

Personally, I don't drink beer as it tends to bloat me and cause stomach pain. I switched to *HARD LIQUOR* [ vodka, gin, whiskey ] several years ago and my gains have been phenominal. I usually have one shot of vodka with a shot of regular tap water after I have gotten back in the house after training clients. During Hurricane IKE, which slammed the Gulf Coast several years ago, after the ubiquitous 'hurricane party' before we lost power ( and hence ice cubes ) we came up with a pretty mean concoction:

Hurricane Ike Martini
2 shots Grey Goose Vodka
1 shot orange juice
1 shot lime juice
1 shot fresh grapefruit juice (squeezed)
2 shots regular tap water

Mix, stir, serve with fresh fruit.....

Mick

Great post! Have you ever tried Sangria (spanish drink)? Very fruit oriented.

Also, judging from the Hurricane Ike Martini, I'd say that you would like Carribbou Lou if you gave it a try; very fruity, very delicious, and very potent (151 is main liquor).

Anyways on topic, I love to drink beer and drink it like it were going out of fashion. I honestly LOVE beer, though I have a pretty low tolerance (attributable to being in shape I hope) and rarely drink enough to be "drunk". I also get bad hangovers.

That being said, when I'm in the states I usually drink about 2-3 times a week, depending on how stressful work is being. There's no such thing as an Army Ranger that doesn't drink. Ok, well, there is, but they're rare Laughing

We did a 20 mile forced march through the mountains just before leaving on this deployment, with approximately 60 pounds of gear on, and that was honestly the hardest thing I've ever done in my life haha... i have weak (as in both not strong and prone to injury) legs, and I no s**t lost the ability to bend my leg at the knee to extend or contract it at around mile 15. Right after we got home and got off work, and I took a shower and realized I couldn't walk faster than a 90 year old man, I proceeded to drink, consistently, all weekend.

I'll tell you what, I don't think I would have made it without beer lol

Other than how much I just love drinking beer, it helps me to physically and mentally relax, both from my workouts and from however the week is treating me. I may start drinking more liquor instead of beer to counterbalance the possible weight gain from beer, but I doubt it. I've never found it to physically impair my lifting/workout abilities, unless I'm either still intoxicated or hungover and therefore dehydrated.

Also, alcohol is a vasodilator (it dilates/widens the blood vessels), thereby increasing blood flow and perfusion (delivery of nutrients to the cells.) This means that the nutrients in your blood gets to your cells quicker and in a higher volume, for instance similar to the effects of vasodilating nitric oxide products. It decreases recovery time.

Plus, if you've never exercised while intoxicated, you're missing out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 am

okay i agree with like a beer here and there and drinkin ure brains out when goin out for the whole night. but u2 just basically gave people an excuse to drink their liver out xD
and, yea, its good, a beer before and/or after a workout, but if u do that regurarly and still drink hard liquor and get shitfaced regurarly.. well thats not healthy anymore and it gets harmfull. liver can handle alot. but not 2 much still.
i agree on the working out intoxicated tho xD its shitloads of fun xD
also i dont really agree entirely with the statement, that alcohol is always helpfull. i found out the hard way, that after a gynormous beer absorbtion night, u cant really do s**t, no matter how much water u drink.. well.. except if u wait till noon or the evening for ure organism to clear out most of it..
sangria btw is s**t. or people here in slovenia are s**t at making it -.-
beer and wine.. tequila, jager shots,.. anything except vodka and those things that are supposed to taste like chocolate and other fruit.. those are disgusting. otherwise yes.. party all the way xD

and im surprised actually. people here are so against booze that it amazed me. then again i can see why lol.
just no weed and its fine. or cigaretes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
uk Jay

uk Jay

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:21 am

Not my thing..Each to there own..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 10:38 pm

BleHz0r wrote:
okay i agree with like a beer here and there and drinkin ure brains out when goin out for the whole night. but u2 just basically gave people an excuse to drink their liver out xD
and, yea, its good, a beer before and/or after a workout, but if u do that regurarly and still drink hard liquor and get shitfaced regurarly.. well thats not healthy anymore and it gets harmfull. liver can handle alot. but not 2 much still.
i agree on the working out intoxicated tho xD its shitloads of fun xD
also i dont really agree entirely with the statement, that alcohol is always helpfull. i found out the hard way, that after a gynormous beer absorbtion night, u cant really do s**t, no matter how much water u drink.. well.. except if u wait till noon or the evening for ure organism to clear out most of it..
sangria btw is s**t. or people here in slovenia are s**t at making it -.-
beer and wine.. tequila, jager shots,.. anything except vodka and those things that are supposed to taste like chocolate and other fruit.. those are disgusting. otherwise yes.. party all the way xD

and im surprised actually. people here are so against booze that it amazed me. then again i can see why lol.
just no weed and its fine. or cigaretes.

No no, neither he nor I is saying that alcohol is always helpful. It dehydrates you and vasodilation CAN be negative.

Like anything else, moderation is key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noname

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 18, 2010 2:23 pm

wrote:
nah you need that stuff I once tried and didnt like it..
max i drink its low calories milk shake yummmmmmmyyyyy!!!
or fruits shake with blue berry on it!!!!!!
the sugar makes me wild out on the barrrrrrrrrr

HAHA !!

Taiga wrote:
No alcohol, cigarettes or drugs ever.
Keep away from that stuff and if you get offered something say NO clearly.
My friends accept my decision. Even tho they don't seem to realize what not working out and getting drunk every weekend does to their bodies.
Already tried to talk some sense into them but it doesn't work. I can just hope they realize it themselves.
If you have to drink: then moderately.
I prefer to not drink at all. I rather drink my water, milk or tea Razz

yeah no alc, no cigarettes or drugs !
my friends accept it too but sometimes they will give me a cigarette or something to kid me cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trace

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Having a beer with friends is awesome, but it's like everything in life - don't overdo it.

By the way, alcohol free beer is one of the best isotonic drinks you can get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kidRiot

kidRiot

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Im a casual drinker. I dont like getting shitty. I prefer a beer with a steak or a meal...Thats it. I wont just sit here and kill a 6 pack, cuz two beers and im drunk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Demo

Demo

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 12:41 pm

..dont put drinking and drugs together..one is much worse
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Demo wrote:
..dont put drinking and drugs together..one is much worse
Alcohol is a drug. I know cause I used to get drunk almost 5 nights a week. I would always drink to get drunk. I changed my lifestyle and things are much better I will never go back to that. It's hard to hang out with friends now though cause that's all they do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

Johnny 5

PostSubject: Endorphins!!!!!!!!!!!!   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:56 pm

First, Don't drink or do drugs or have sex while training. hahaha, but really the best drug out there is the one your body makes. Endorphins!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oooohhhhhh whhhatt aaaa rush!
L.O.D FOREVER!
R.I.P Road Warrior Hawk

Last edited by Gentleman John on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : summarize)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inevitablediss

inevitablediss

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:18 am

I drink pretty much all i can handle at a party and coma out every weekend.. kinda hard not to at this age when there's parties on every weekend.
Haven't noticed any difference to my training though.

On another note this guy i know is a major stoner, smokes alot of weed and is fit as a motherfukaa, and he doesn't even exercise. But it depends on the person I guess
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ...alcohol... yea that stuff...   ...alcohol... yea that stuff... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

...alcohol... yea that stuff...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2